XJ steering box HELP

BigfootXJ

What is the easiest way to solve my problem???
I've benn breaking the bolts that hold the steering box to the unibody on a weekly basis. After the 2nd or 3rd time I noticed that the Unibody is cracking by the top bolt, on the inside of the uni. This morning on my way to school I heard a pop, one of the bolts had broke. When I fixed it in auto shop, I noticed that the outside of the uni is cracking around the welded washers. Note: I welded some washers (inside and outside of uni) to center the bolts after the second time because the holes were ovaled and causing the bolts to move no matter how tigh they are. I'm going to M.O.R.E tomarrow to pick up their steering box cross brace. Any Help would be Appreciated thanks Gabe

My jeep:
89 XJ, 6" shortarm lift, 35's, Look at members rigs

Last edited:

JF1

The M.O.R.E steering box brace is not a bad unit but if you really want to get rid of tearing off the steering box permanently, go with the C-Rock steering box frame plates and get the complete kit:

C-Rok Steering Box Frame Plates

Last edited:

BigfootXJ

Thanks, After I posted it broke again. Its great it was in the driveway. I went to take out the broken bolts and they came out easier then they should have. It stripped out the holes and i cant retap them. got to get a new box.gabe

James K

NO, I'm always like this
try sleeving the bolt holes that go through the unibody with some heavy wall tube, that has the right inside diameter for the bolts you are using.

BigfootXJ

bobdog: I cant park it because it is my only vehicle. Jeeps break thats a well known fact, so I fix it to get me to school!! Then it will break again. I cant have it down for too long.
James K: got the M.O.R.E brade on and I'm going to order the C-Rok frame kit soon. I put a new Streeing box on off a 2000 TJ works better then the old one. brace helps a bunch. Thanks Gabe