Yamaha WR450 as an Adventure Bike

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've logged a few 150+ mile trips on my WR that included everything from technical single track to 30+ mile stretches of pavement. I absolutely love the bike but I don't understand why this bike doesn't have 6 gears--that's the #1 complaint I have to an otherwise outstanding bike :-\ I'm still on the fence but a KTM 525EXC (with the RFS engine) is really calling my name. The e-start (my 426 doesn't have that) and the 6 gears would be a much welcomed upgrade for me. Service intervals on the RFS seem to be in the same ballpark as the WR as well. I dunno maybe I should fork out the cash for a Rekluse as it might help bridge that gap in gearing...

That said I prefer to take the comfort of my ATK for anything involving over 30 or so miles of pavement. Long stretch of pavement + WR = Me turing into a dinosaur or Megasoreass as it were lol :hickey:

I'd be interested in trying the auto-clutch with higher gearing, rather than a 6 speed transmission. If you could keep the revs down while making a quick jaunt on asphalt getting between the trails, I think it would help wear & tear on the motor and not have a big negative effect on usability offroad. I have ridden my WR with a 15 tooth counter sprocket and it's not bad for 90% of the riding out there... it's the big ledges and rocky, slow spots that the 14 tooth CS really makes a difference.

I want to try the Moab to Fruita to Moab ride again, like Caleb and I did a couple years ago... on my WR this time. That's around 150 miles a day, some pavement, mostly dirt roads and single track. I think the WR with a big tank would be right at home. I don't mind spending time on my WR, the extra foam in the seat really helped me out.

Caleb

I'd be interested in trying the auto-clutch with higher gearing, rather than a 6 speed transmission. If you could keep the revs down while making a quick jaunt on asphalt getting between the trails, I think it would help wear & tear on the motor and not have a big negative effect on usability offroad. I have ridden my WR with a 15 tooth counter sprocket and it's not bad for 90% of the riding out there... it's the big ledges and rocky, slow spots that the 14 tooth CS really makes a difference.

I want to try the Moab to Fruita to Moab ride again, like Caleb and I did a couple years ago... on my WR this time. That's around 150 miles a day, some pavement, mostly dirt roads and single track. I think the WR with a big tank would be right at home. I don't mind spending time on my WR, the extra foam in the seat really helped me out.

IMO, the Rekluse won't help with not having a 6-speed. It won't fudge the top gearing at all since it will be locked up. What it could help with (and maybe this is what you meant) is you could gear higher so your bike has longer legs and the auto clutch would help fudge that low end gearing you'd be missing.

I too want to do that Moab-Fruita-Moab ride again. If I can convince the boss I need another bike, I'd be game to do it again. That and Hole in the Rock are two on my list this year.

Greg

Admin
IMO, the Rekluse won't help with not having a 6-speed. It won't fudge the top gearing at all since it will be locked up. What it could help with (and maybe this is what you meant) is you could gear higher so your bike has longer legs and the auto clutch would help fudge that low end gearing you'd be missing.

I too want to do that Moab-Fruita-Moab ride again. If I can convince the boss I need another bike, I'd be game to do it again. That and Hole in the Rock are two on my list this year.

Yeah, the auto-clutch will help make up for the lack of gearing at low speed when running 'higher' geared sprockets... like the video mentions.

I do want to make that ride again this Spring... so get on it. :greg:

There is a huge thread on ADVRider discussing the gearing differences between 5 and 6 speed bikes... I'm not going to get into specific models, but in general it seems like the final drive for most bikes is quite similar. On the 6 speed bikes the gears are simply spaced closer together. After riding my KTM 690 Enduro, which has a 6 speed, I could see how that could be the case when compared to my WR. It's a pretty interesting read, as most everyone talks about the 'shortcomings' of 5 speed bikes and how they wish XXX bike was offered with a 6 speed.

I think the idea of an auto-clutch and higher gearing is a pretty decent idea when you consider that!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
While not in the same class, my TTR 250 is awesome if your pavement is limited to highway under 60mph. It has a 6 speed and will idle up AF canyon singletrack. It is way less power than my Yz450 but for what it is its pretty good. Plus with 70mpg and a 2 gal tank the range is pretty awesome too. I am so looking forward to riding season this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb

Yeah, the auto-clutch will help make up for the lack of gearing at low speed when running 'higher' geared sprockets... like the video mentions.

I do want to make that ride again this Spring... so get on it. :greg:

There is a huge thread on ADVRider discussing the gearing differences between 5 and 6 speed bikes... I'm not going to get into specific models, but in general it seems like the final drive for most bikes is quite similar. On the 6 speed bikes the gears are simply spaced closer together. After riding my KTM 690 Enduro, which has a 6 speed, I could see how that could be the case when compared to my WR. It's a pretty interesting read, as most everyone talks about the 'shortcomings' of 5 speed bikes and how they wish XXX bike was offered with a 6 speed.

I think the idea of an auto-clutch and higher gearing is a pretty decent idea when you consider that!

That's very true about most of the current 6-speed offerings. Whenever I say I want XX bike with a 6-speed, I mean I want it with a true 6-speed where 6th is a taller gear than what's out there, almost an OD so to speak. My Husky's 6th speed felt quite a bit taller, I could cruise down the freeway at 75-80 and the bike wasn't wound out, yet it still had a super low first gear (you could lug that bike almost as much as you can a bike with a Rekluse).

rholbrook

My friend bought a CRF150R for his son and put a Rekluse in it. It is a helluva bike now. Steve (Sixstring) this should be your next setup. After riding it I am now selling my sons nearly new CRF150F and replace it with an auto clutched R. Corban, sell me your wife's bike

Greg, I am agreeing with you on the higher gearing and Rekluse.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Greg if we make it out on a ride together before the bike goes bye bye, your more than welcome to try my WR with the rekluse. You'll fall in love and buy one when you get home like I did

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My Husky's 6th speed felt quite a bit taller, I could cruise down the freeway at 75-80 and the bike wasn't wound out, yet it still had a super low first gear (you could lug that bike almost as much as you can a bike with a Rekluse).

This ^. I agree most 5 and 6 speeds do have similar final ratios. The Husky 610 is an exception--nothing beats the gearing on the Cagiva Husky's. They will lug right down to nothing in 1st and you're right 75-80 is cruising... 100+ is getting on it :eek: I should have never sold mine-dumb-dumb-dumb.

Anyway need to ride... soon.... :chris: LOL

jentzschman

Rise of the dead... I am looking at getting a 07 WR450. Seems like a very solid and all around bike. Intended use will be for single track and putting around town to and from work less then 10 miles.

Greg

Admin
Good bike, a bit heavy and carries its weight up high. You will feel it in technical stuff, an '07 ought to be a nice ride. I loved my WR450, it was a great bike... wish I could have made more adventure-type rides with it, as discussed in this thread.

jentzschman

Ya, i am curious how it will feel in places like AF canyon. From the very limited 4T riding I have done it was much easier to ride and fart along then my 2T. Not that the 2T was hard to ride per say, but it did require more work to get her to do what I wanted. Granted I had a YZ that I converted for trail use and I am sure that played a part in it. It just felt, for me, that the 4T was much more at home just lugging up the trails then the 2T. I was not able to ride the 4T in overly technical stuff, but again, it just felt like it wanted to lug around with very minimal effort on my part. One of the big reasons I did not get a 4T in the first place is the cost of maintenece I kept herring about. But after some substantial research on the WR it seems that these bikes are bomb proof: regular oil and filter changes and they just want to last forever. Not that I would, but I have read from several other forums that people have 5k miles on them when checking the valves and they were not out of spec, while another guys have reported only had one out of spec for similar miles.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Just an observation to add to this thread.
Although my new bike is street legal, it would make a poor adventure bike due to the fuel mileage
25-30 mpg even with a 2.3 gallon tank is not enough.
The power is ridiculous though.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Although my new bike is street legal, it would make a poor adventure bike due to the fuel mileage
The mileage on the WR would be better. If I recall correctly, I used to get around 40 mpg out of my 08 WR. It was a decent single track bike for me and even made a few trips through the 5MOH. I never plated it so I cannot give you any real feedback on it in that environment.

Greg

Admin
Ya, i am curious how it will feel in places like AF canyon. From the very limited 4T riding I have done it was much easier to ride and fart along then my 2T. Not that the 2T was hard to ride per say, but it did require more work to get her to do what I wanted. Granted I had a YZ that I converted for trail use and I am sure that played a part in it. It just felt, for me, that the 4T was much more at home just lugging up the trails then the 2T. I was not able to ride the 4T in overly technical stuff, but again, it just felt like it wanted to lug around with very minimal effort on my part. One of the big reasons I did not get a 4T in the first place is the cost of maintenece I kept herring about. But after some substantial research on the WR it seems that these bikes are bomb proof: regular oil and filter changes and they just want to last forever. Not that I would, but I have read from several other forums that people have 5k miles on them when checking the valves and they were not out of spec, while another guys have reported only had one out of spec for similar miles.

I think you are on the right track for what you are looking to do with the bike, I could see how a YZ would be pretty damn picky as far as trail riding goes. You can lug a WR all day long if you want to, but they are also pretty strong and can haul ass when you want.

I had a 6.6 gallon tank in hand for my bike when i started this thread... would have been good for over 200 miles per tank at 35 mpg, which was about right if not a little low.