#yamaproblems : a rebuild thread

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well, that was quick. I let my friend ride it today on our trail ride and loved it so much he had to take it home. I think it will work great for him stepping up from a Honda CRF230f.

I have mixed feelings about selling it; especially because my brother is coming into town to visit tomorrow and that's what I built it for... but it will be nice to pay for the baby.

I'm on the lookout for another bike that needs a little work for a new loaner bike.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
YamaProblems2

#YamaProblems2

Well a while ago I picked up ANOTHER Yamaha.
This one I've kept and had my friends ride 4ish times so it seems to be a good fit as a loaner. It's a little too much power for most to learn on but oh well...

It started as a pretty stock-ish 2004 YZ250 with a bald knobby, rough plastics, some super old gas, and some carb problems.

The stock chain guide and swing arm slider were both kinda junky so I added a TM designs kit.

More mods to follow.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks!

So first things first. The bike came with ASV levers: which I love because they are easy to bend back to straight (this one needed it for example)
and it needed a rebuild kit. At $14 from ASV a rebuild kit comes with new bearings, brass pivots, springs and bolts.

The front brake line was garbage so it got a Galfer stainless hose and I got blue because... well it's a Yamaha.

Devol radiator guards next.

It had an FMF fatty pipe (that I polished with some "00" steel wool) and a FMF Turbine core II silencer [that had zero packing in it (so I had to clean the screen which was super tedious to poke out all the holes with an ice pick) then new FMF packing was only $12 or so].

It already had Moto Tassinari V-Force 3 reeds

And it already had a case saver on it (which is a MUST on any bike).

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I had the carb ultrasonically cleaned which is a great investment of $30 or so because it comes back super clean and since it's just water it doesn't usually require you to replace any seals or gaskets.

Drained the old gas and polished the plastics with a little cheapy electric automotive waxer/ buffer and that SG1 plastic restore. Cleaned the air filter too.
And learned a trick. It felt like the power valve wasn't opening at same RPM each time and was sticking so I figured I'd have to pull the cylinder to clean the power valve (which is pretty messy and time consuming).
But here is the trick I learned: instead of normal gear oil in the case I ran ATF instead. Now because ATF is a emulsifier I believe it cleaned up the gummy goop in the power valve after running about a gallon or so of good gas through it, and it started opening at the same rpm every time and running really crisp.
I guess some guys run AFT in their gear case all the time, but I'm told the film strength and heat resistance isn't as good and so after a few hours I changed it back to Yamalube or Redline Gear Saver (whichever I had at the time).

Now I can't say for sure if that was what fixed it or if it was just the combo of running good gas with full synthetic premix and a clean carb that did it, but the explanation made sense to me as to why it would help un-goo the power valve.

I've been using a similar technique on my work vehicle where once a year you drain a quart of oil and add a quart of ATF to the engine and run it for 15 minutes or so before changing the oil and it supposedly keeps the top end ungunked and it's still running great despite having over a quarter million miles on it.

Cleaned up: I think it looks pretty good now!

I like the aluminum frame guards too!

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Dang looks good! I like that it has a paddle on it

Thanks! It had a brand new Tusk Impact rim and a new STI paddle... Which I sold to offset the cost of the bike.

But it did have the stock rim with a junk tire on it though, so I swapped a nearly new 19" knobby on that I had left over from when I had my YZ450f.

Also at some point in this bike's past, somebody loved it because it also has a mount for a steering stabilizer and Protaper fat bars. Which probably means it has a new upper triple clamp because these came stock with 7/8" bars.

Also I'm pretty sure the suspension has been setup by somebody based on the fancy top caps and bleeders on the forks and the P.R.S. stickers. They feel great to me so I'll likely not mess with them outside of clickers.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Where do you keep finding these basket cases? People on all the classifieds I look at think a pile of parts is worth $1500 when the running bikes are going for $1800.

I bought 2 YZ 250's for my boys this year. They are sweet. I'm kinda wondering why I ride a $10K bike when a $2k YZ is so much fun.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Lookin' really good :cool: Man, I'm jealous I need to find a new project... kinda thinking a KX 250 would be fun to fix up and ride.

I had a WR426 with PRS (pro racing suspension) and the valving was very nice.

balfred

Sorry for the tangent, do you guys know anyone that is good with older bikes? I have been working on rebuilding an old 86 yz250 that is struggling to run and I have exhausted my knowledge of two strokes trying to get it to run.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So I took my friend out riding and he smashed a peg.
No problem I thought; I've got a few sets of pegs laying around from my old pitbike. So I drilled out the pivot hole to fit the YZ and installed it.

Well fast forward to the next Saturday: and he clipped a rock on the same side....

I guess these cheap pitbike pegs are cast... pure garbage. It shattered. Haha. So I had to put him on my bike to finish the trail.

So a I got a used OEM Yamaha; it must weigh double what that cast one did.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Well somebody made me an offer on the YZ250 and I let it go.

I picked up a new bike on Friday. This one is.... interesting... or ugly... you be the judge.

2001 YZ125
We'll call this one "Easter Egg."

Newly revalved suspension

It runs really really good. Like it started first kick cold at 28* outside good.
It's cool because it's a 6 speed and it has a few cool parts: Tusk shift lever, Fineline aftermarket suspension, a new front tire, and ProTaper fat bars

So far I've got:
New chain and sprockets ready to mount.
New grips on and cleaned the throttle housing.
New Levers ordered.
Silencer is out on the bench for a clean and pack (it currently has no packing in it...why do people do that? It doesn't make it fast it just makes it louder).
I need to set the float on the carb higher or maybe it needs a new float needle because it leaks a little from the overflow. Either way I'll pull the carb and clean it and look at the jetting.