YJ wheelbase stretch

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
1993yj said:
The fuel pump I was looking at is MSD-2225
And the tank is RCI-2171A
I don't carry RCI parts and Summit Racing has a good price on the pump. To match their price, I would have to sell it at cost (shipping and tax). But since you're getting the tank from them too...

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I was reading a build up on pirate where a guy cut his fender, and to get the "nice rolled edge" he outlined where he wanted it cut, and then measured down 1" and cut there. He then bent that edge back up and had a OEM type look.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
tiny2085 said:
I was reading a build up on pirate where a guy cut his fender, and to get the "nice rolled edge" he outlined where he wanted it cut, and then measured down 1" and cut there. He then bent that edge back up and had a OEM type look.
That makes sense..Easy too..

1993yj

Thats a good idea. I may try it when I get to that point next weekend. I just got the new XJ springs on, so this weekend I will be getting the axle mounted up and the perches and shock mounts welded on. I was also thinking about just making some tube fenders around my wheels wells that will go from my bumper in the rear and my tip bar in the front into my rock sliders.

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
tiny2085 said:

I did that on the wheelwell openings on my ZJgrand bent it on the body line, you also have to slice in the radius on the corners to make it shape, works out nice, and less likely to slice your tire if it rubs.

1993yj

Hey rock, you say you moved your front axle forward too? That is my next project when I finish this current one. What did you do to fix your steering?

scrit89

yj tank

coil over rear shocks did give me 105inc wheel bace. put my tank up 4 inc into floor. raised back up 4 inc works great used sumit 15 gal cell only 9 inc tall

rondo

rondo
tiny2085 said:

i just completed my fender trimming and did the above. Looks decent. If i were an auto body trained guy it would have turned out even better. But even with channel locks and a hammer it doesn't look that bad :D

next big Q is fuel cell or stock tank. If i could find a fuel cell that would fit my stock pump....

If you're looking for a remote in-line fuel pump you can find one on early 90's ford broncos and rangers. They're cheap and won't ever give you a problem. Just look under them on the driver side frame rail. That's what I did with mine. I pulled out the rear seat and stuck the fuel cell back there. I"m pretty sure your engine has the pressure regulator mounted on the fuel rail so you don't have to do anything but rout the lines in and out of your cell, mount the pump on the line and wire it in. It's easy as that and you could find one for like $15 at pick-n-pull.

Last edited:
1993yj said:
I am going to move my rear axle back by welding my rear spring hangers off of my rear bumper and then using cherokee springs. Has anyone done this and have any advice? I plan on putting an aluminum fuel cell up in the back, but not sure yet as to how I will do a fuel pump for my 4.0L.

This is exactly how I've done mine.

P1010053a.JPG

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
1993yj said:
Hey rock, you say you moved your front axle forward too? That is my next project when I finish this current one. What did you do to fix your steering?

I bolted my steering box in the stock location,(after I built Heavy duty brace/bracket, and plated frame). and used a stock ZJ pitman arm with sperical rod ends..moved the axle forward to where the drag link just barely clears the pitman arm on full stuff...If I didnt have a shackle-reverse my diff would shift forward and the drag would collide with the pitman-arm while cycleing the suspension, instead the diff shifts rearward and barely misses.I used 1.5" .250 wall tierods and rockram stuff none of that stuff or the rod ends were nessasary to make the steering work. my front hangers are directly under and mounted to the front rockbumper. without reverse-shackle I think you would have to go full hydro to move frontend that far forward.

1993yj

Getting further along on my project. I am now to the point of installing my fuel cell. I ended up going with an RCI one that will fit behind my rear seat. I was looking at getting a multi-point fuel pick-up from Holley, part #12-951, so that when I am on side hills I can still get gas. However, Summit doesn't have them anymore as I was told that Holley discontinued them. Does anyone know somewhere else where I could find this kit, or have any other suggestions?

1993yj

I may have actually come up with a solution to my own problem already. While searching on eBay last night for that Holley kit, which was not to be found, I came across a fuel pump off of a Arctic Cat snowmobile. The fuel pumps off of theier EFI sleds that are at least 93 and newer have these same type of pick-ups coming off of their in-tank fuel pumps. What I am planning on doing here now is buying one of these used pumps, or just the pick-ups if possible, and then using those pick-ups in my fuel cell, running one to each side of the tank. I cant see any reasons why this shouldnt work, but any input would help too.