you have got to see this

Caleb

James K said:
but wouldn't aluminum fatigue(sp) quicker and fail?

yes, aluminum will "work harden" and began to crack in not much time at all...major problem we had on our boat hulls...I would rather have the little extra weight and use steel than worry about my aluminum cage/gussets cracking...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Supergper said:
yes, aluminum will "work harden" and began to crack in not much time at all...major problem we had on our boat hulls...I would rather have the little extra weight and use steel than worry about my aluminum cage/gussets cracking...

thats what I thought.

plus the whole damn truck chassis would need to be made of aluminum. you wouldn't want to have the combination of steel and aluminum in a chassis that is designed to take the abuse that these trucks are designed for...............right?????

Caleb

James K said:
plus the whole damn truck chassis would need to be made of aluminum. you wouldn't want to have the combination of steel and aluminum in a chassis that is designed to take the abuse that these trucks are designed for...............right?????

thats what I meant when I said cage (meaning the whole vehicle:D)...they are basically one large mess of tube with gussests welded on with skins laid over that...I dont see how you could do a combo of aluminum and steel short of bolting things together :sick:

S

sukaB

pokeyYJ said:
My grandma's backyard has a swing set

I'm with Pokey on this one..
Grandma's yard is quite the little setup ;)
Nice work

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
My point was you could mill parts (upper and lower links etc.) out of solid aluminum instead of welding together plate steel. While the weight would remain the same or be slightly lighter you'd still have the same if not stronger strength. Also in my mind a weld is more likely to break on one of the edges than a solid piece.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
LMAO I love it the guy has this much time and money invested in his ride and he doesn't put air jacks on it, rather he makes a place to stow the aluminum racing jack.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
onetuff76 said:
LMAO I love it the guy has this much time and money invested in his ride and he doesn't put air jacks on it, rather he makes a place to stow the aluminum racing jack.

Why are you so concerned about how he is building it? Aluminum / steel, whatever. I can appreciate the fact that he has some talent for fabrication. If you want to talk smack about it, why don't you build one first? :confused: :)

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a forum for discussion. I do realize and have given credit that this guy is an awesome fabricator, I don't think there is any arguing that. I've merely provided my opinions as to his methods and his thought process on his project. Some of his logic just doesn't make sense to me.

If someone were to say their going to stick a dana 30 under a fullsize rig with a monster motor, I'm willing to bet that everyone on this board would step up and say that's a stupid idea why are you doing that.

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
With 18"+ of front travel and probably 25"+ rear where exactly would you plan on putting air jacks that will actually lift the tires off of the ground?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
onetuff76 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a forum for discussion. I do realize and have given credit that this guy is an awesome fabricator, I don't think there is any arguing that. I've merely provided my opinions as to his methods and his thought process on his project. Some of his logic just doesn't make sense to me.

If someone were to say their going to stick a dana 30 under a fullsize rig with a monster motor, I'm willing to bet that everyone on this board would step up and say that's a stupid idea why are you doing that.

You're right, it's a forum for discussion and that's why I'm expressing my disagreement to your arguement.

And putting a D30 under a fullsize is no comparison to what he is doing. :)

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
TK1 said:
With 18"+ of front travel and probably 25"+ rear where exactly would you plan on putting air jacks that will actually lift the tires off of the ground?
They make air jacks specially for baja trucks, most major comepators run them as they can jack up the truck with the flip of a switch.

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
onetuff76 said:
They make air jacks specially for baja trucks, most major comepators run them as they can jack up the truck with the flip of a switch.

That's cool, I had not seen those before. Got any links?