Your best practices when negotiating a salary...

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Just one more point of view from the employer. Each position is expected to bring in a certain amount of money each year. If your spot is slotted to bring in 1,000,000 each year and you earn the company 950,000 you will not be getting a raise (most likely) On the other hand if you earn the company 1,250,000 a year you should without a doubt you should be given a raise that reflects this. I am not saying that money is the only reason for a raise but it is a large part.

I think this is very important point when getting raises. I work in quality assurance and most people think the department is overhead and doesnt bring in money. Multiple times I was able to take the operation metrics and show that certain projects we implemented saved the company money. That was the most effective way I was able to show how effective I was.

ricsrx

If you want more money, take on more responsibility, and make more money for the boss. A company can't afford to pay you if you're not generating profit.

that statement i did not understand when i was young, it was a hard lesson i learned . now i have lived by it my entire life, and tried to pass it down to my children.

Pike2350

I just took a new job in December. I didn't negotiate with the salary they offered....it was a slight pay cut from where I was, but they had benefits that I didn't have, so all in all it was almost a wash. I did however make sure that I would have a 60 day review, and at that review there was usually a "raise" I took a gamble and decided I'd wait until the review was in to negotiate.....I wanted to prove myself first. I was coming into a company and title that I was a little unfamiliar with. I knew I could do the job with out much problem and be good at it...but I wasn't 100%. I guess I won't know if my gamble pays off for another week to 2, but hopefully it was the right move.

Troop92

The only curve ball thus far is the location. A new office is being established, and while all initial communication (job posting, email, telephonic interview) indicated the office would be in SLC, at the actual interview it was revealed the office would be in Lehi/Thanksgiving Point. Adds 30 min to my drive, and I'd probably have to pick up a commuter...

I suppose every position is unique in that regard, you have to feel out the true value after reconciling wages, benefits, commute, etc. I know my worth, with 6 years experience, and I've researched the market specific to that field but also this position on other fields. I feel confident in my interview performance (other than the brain teasers he gave me....), and know I'm good at what I do. I think I made that clear.

All of this is based on me being offered a position, of course... Such fun.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
If you want more money, take on more responsibility, and make more money for the boss. A company can't afford to pay you if you're not generating profit.

That's an excellent way to get taken advantage of. It's a good life mantra, but you should be verrry cautious about taking on additional long term responsibilities unless additional pay has been negotiated.
In my experience no company has just ever offered me a raise; I've always had to ask. They will just assume you're happy where you're at if you don't ask. The company's role is get as much done while paying out as little as possible. I worked at a place for several years and became very dependable flexible for them and broad in my capabilities and I left making more than when I was hired (due to the owner being a jew, in the non-religious sense of the word).

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
[video=youtube;-JBvfZTx-vs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JBvfZTx-vs[/video]

ricsrx

That's an excellent way to get taken advantage of. It's a good life mantra, but you should be verrry cautious about taking on additional long term responsibilities unless additional pay has been negotiated.
In my experience no company has just ever offered me a raise; I've always had to ask. They will just assume you're happy where you're at if you don't ask. The company's role is get as much done while paying out as little as possible. I worked at a place for several years and became very dependable flexible for them and broad in my capabilities and I left making more than when I was hired (due to the owner being a jew, in the non-religious sense of the word).

and didn't it make you feel good to leave on those conditions? with you having total control of the situation? not feeling disgruntled and having the attitude of a victim? you gave him more than he was paying for and he didn't take notice, his loss, i have seen your work, that would be hard to replace.

Caleb

Sorry, if you have to ask for a raise, you're working for the wrong companies. The only time I've had an employee ask for a raise was when they were performing poorly and didn't get one in the last round of performance evaluations. I'm always straight with them, give them specifics and what they need to do to improve.

Troop92

Well... I get to wait a bit longer. I have a third interview via Google Hangouts on Thursday. Still in the running, so that's something.

Troop92

What industry are you in? Other skills?
Project Mgmt, Administration, and a bit of HR. I was an administrator for 40+ linguists, managing the day to day workflow. Project Mgmt for all incoming translation projects, evaluation of best assignment, quality control, managed customer expectations, data entry and analytics. I also provided first line contact for all incoming linguist applicants including telephonic interviews, proctor exams, hiring recommendations.

Past jobs include bindery (print/coil shop) supervisor, independent study course instructor, and restaurant mgmt.

Troop92

...and I'll save these for the next opportunity. Nothing like sitting in a third interview, quickly realizing they are looking for very specific/particular applicant and you're not it.