YZ300 Two stroke

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm tempted to build a YZ300 using an older bike, '06-08 and swap in the 3rd-5th WR gears and run a Rekluse. If I can find an affordable, clean bike I may have to pick up a Winter project. :eek:

Do it! I've always wanted to.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Do it! I've always wanted to.

It's hard to find a decent bike to start with! Been looking, it's mostly older and newer bikes for sale.

Do it! But put a KTM 380 engine in there like you mentioned earlier :D

:greg: I wish those 380 engines were easy to find on their own! Otherwise you're spending around $2000 for a complete bike, just to use the engine.

Agh, I want another 2T really bad. Wish this was closer and I had some cash: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2012-husqvarna-wr300-phx-az.1099828/

Damn, that's killer! Hmmmmm.... now you got ME thinking! That would be easier than a YZ build and probably cheaper too! Wish my Jetta had a tow hitch! ;)

Greg

Admin
There's that 380 in Farmington for $1,500. It is an SX though You could put XC gears in it for $200-$300

Yeah, but it sounds like the frame and suspension of the older KTM's isn't great. My thought was to put a 380 engine into a '08+ rolling chassis. Huge project, of course.

The '06 YZ250 has the aluminum frame and the Kayaba SSS suspension, seems like a great chassis & suspension to build from.

D

Deleted member 12904

The '06 YZ250 has the aluminum frame and the Kayaba SSS suspension, seems like a great chassis & suspension to build from.

so I've been shopping bikes got about a month now and it seems like this bike has gone up in value over the past couple years from when I last owned one. honestly couldn't you just buy a ktm for less then you could build a yz for and have a magic button?

Greg

Admin
so I've been shopping bikes got about a month now and it seems like this bike has gone up in value over the past couple years from when I last owned one. honestly couldn't you just buy a ktm for less then you could build a yz for and have a magic button?

Maybe? Depends on the total cost of the YZ build... but to answer part of your question, I have no need (or desire) for an electric starter on a 2 stroke, so toss that part of the equation out.

I found an '06 YZ250 for $2500. I sold my '08 KTM 300 XC to Rick for $4,500 and it was well setup. So based on buying a clean '08+ 300 or building up a YZ300 you have about $2000 to be at the same cost level as a KTM. The Eric Gorr 300 kit costs $650, WR gears? ($100? not sure). So around $750 to build a YZF300 with a wide ratio trans? The price difference isn't huge, but I like the idea of something different that may have more power and better performance than a production bike.