ZJ Rear Cargo Area Rack

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
So I didn't think this was technical enough for the tech section so I posted it here. To keep it short I got bored on my days off and decided that since I will soon be putting a real lift on Cheap ZJ, and I hate tires on the roof / rear bumper of Cherokees (for several reasons), I decided to build a cargo-area rack that would allow a larger spare tire to lay flat underneath and provide a good platform to strap tools and spare parts to. I will spare the fab pictures because it is self explanatory.

photo (15).jpgphoto (17).jpg

i had one in my XJ and loved it, i'm going to be building one for the ZJ now but i'm going a little taller than yours so that i can fit a couple action packers and a fridge. thinking of using round tube this time too. the bottom of the one i built for my XJ was even with the top of the back seat. i managed to fit 2 full size coolers on top onad all the soft gear and food plus an 8gal action packer underneath and it worked great for the rubicon and hole n the rock trails.

Last edited:

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
What did you use for the support legs? I am going to be doing something similar now that I'm stepping up to 35's.

The support legs are 1x2 1/8 wall rectangular tube that I had laying around. I plan on running 35s also, just finished setting up a Ford 8.8 and a HP 30, now I'm just waiting for the suspension to show up.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
i had one in my XJ and loved it, i'm going to be building one for the ZJ now but i'm going a little taller than yours so that i can fit a couple action packers and a fridge. thinking of using round tube this time too. the bottom of the one i built for my XJ was even with the top of the back seat. i managed to fit 2 full size coolers on top onad all the soft gear and food plus an 8gal action packer underneath and it worked great for the rubicon and hole n the rock trails.

Sounds cool! That was the first thought when I had it all bolted in: "should have made it a little taller". But I guess I can just cut and splice the legs a little if needed!