Wanted 12v air compressor

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So I looked up the Napa compressor. If the specs are correct , 300 liters per minute equates to 10.59 cfm. That's more than an ARB twin (and most portable/garage compressors). Reviews are mixed and I'm not sure how big/heavy it is but, it's priced about the same as the Smittybilt that is 5.65 cfm.

1704929442673.png

Huh.

edit - I don't know much about 12v, is a 90 amp draw something your garden variety truck battery can handle?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
View attachment 168675

Huh.

edit - I don't know much about 12v, is a 90 amp draw something your garden variety truck battery can handle?
Yes-ish... for intermittent use it's doable if your charging system and battery are in good working order. Max winch load can be as high as ~450 amps intermittently and most charging/battery systems survive that.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Anyone have any experience with Thor's Lightning compressors? A buddy of mine has their dual compressor with their four tire inflation/deflation kit; it is fast! And at $200 for the dual compressor, that's tempting. But, I have no idea of the quality. I'm an ARB fan and keep itching to pull the trigger on one of their dual compressors, but for several hundy less, I'm tempted to give one of these a try.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Anyone have any experience with Thor's Lightning compressors? A buddy of mine has their dual compressor with their four tire inflation/deflation kit; it is fast! And at $200 for the dual compressor, that's tempting. But, I have no idea of the quality. I'm an ARB fan and keep itching to pull the trigger on one of their dual compressors, but for several hundy less, I'm tempted to give one of these a try.
This is where I'm at. I've been limping along with my bulletproof but slow Viair until the ARB was in the budget, but if I can spend $150 on a trash bag I can spend $150 on a compressor. I'm gonna give it a pull.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I enjoyed this video and though about buying the Napa compressor just to play with these mods. Looks like the thor lighting and napa are likely the same compressor.
This is where I'm at. I've been limping along with my bulletproof but slow Viair until the ARB was in the budget, but if I can spend $150 on a trash bag I can spend $150 on a compressor. I'm gonna give it a pull.

I watched all his videos on this, and I'm sold. I'll be picking up a NAPA compressor and doing some of these mod's. For the price, why not?

Pile of parts

Cool! I think, for the money, hard to go wrong. If you want to try it out on some 42s, let me know.😉

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Looks like the Napa near me has them in stock.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Cool! I think, for the money, hard to go wrong. If you want to try it out on some 42s, let me know.😉

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Looks like the Napa near me has them in stock.
That's what I figured. I'm planning on base lining its performance against my single ARB on my 35's. Should be interesting to see how much quicker it is!

The_Lobbster

For those running these units, anybody piped one into a tank? Seems to me like having a couple gallon tank is handy if you have a place to mount it.

XJEEPER

My son and brother both run the EZ-Flate MOAB 10.5 cfm compressor, it seems to do the job well and airups from 15-35 are under 2 minutes per tire. You can reworked the supplied air line to connect to 2 tires at a time, so efficiency can be gained. Definitely quicker to air up than my ViAir 450c with 2 gal tank.

My observation is, unless you are wheeling alone, the slowest compressor in the group is typically about 5 min slower than the quickest, so you always end up waiting until everyone is aired up to hit the road anyway. ;)

Pile of parts

EZ-Flate MOAB 10.5 cfm compressor, it seems to do the job well and airups from 15-35 are under 2 minutes per tire. You can reworked the supplied air line to connect to 2 tires at a time, so efficiency can be gained.
From the videos I've watched, this seems to be where efficiency is gained. My understanding is that a valve stem will only take so much cfm, so a compressor that is able to produce 10 cfm vs 5 is able to inflate multiple tires at one time and therefor be quicker instead of just bottlenecking at the one valve stem. I don't typically air up all tires after a trail. I just need something to add air when I lose a little on the trail. However, for the stated performance and price of the Napa compressor, I'm leaning that way.

notajeep

Just me
Compressor Drag Race?!?! I'm in! Especially if you get extra points for the longest air compressor name on the market!

The Extreme Outback Products "ExtremeAire Magnum 12 Volt Compressor"

Silly and needlessly long name aside, it is by far the best/fastest compressor I've ran. From the MV50, to the ARB twin, smittybily 5.56 garbage and everything in-between.

Then becasue I'm fat and lazy and hate squatting... I got this auto inflator, that stops at a pre-set PSI, and doesn't choke off the air flow.

With my 3 gallon tank, I'll start it on the first tire, walk around and undo the valve caps, and by the time I'm around the truck it's ready to be moved to the next tire.

So I looked up the Napa compressor. If the specs are correct , 300 liters per minute equates to 10.59 cfm. That's more than an ARB twin (and most portable/garage compressors). Reviews are mixed and I'm not sure how big/heavy it is but, it's priced about the same as the Smittybilt that is 5.65 cfm.

I've had my NAPA for 2 years and love it. I don't let it deadhead, and only use it with a 4-way 3/8" hose, to keep the pressure loss down. I air my 37s from 11ish to 30 and then typically air someone else up before others are done. It's high CFM, but I've read that if you push it at high PSI it won't last long. I'm ok with that for $150 (mine was $115)