1967 "SS" 396 El Camino - Demoncamino

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Now that the garage is cleaned up it is time to get to work on this. The body mounts are pretty wore out so I am going to succumb to my weakness of “I might as well”. I am going to load it up and take it over to a friends and lift the body off and pull everything off and get the frame blasted. If I can find a powder coater with a decent turnaround time I will do that……if not I will have my friend who owns a body shop paint it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I spent a few minutes stripping down the axle so the I can start cleaning it up for paint. When I was power washing everything, I noticed there was some extra build up of oil around the junction of the left axle tube and pumpkin. Not what looked like any fresh oil and it has never leaked any on the ground, but a noticeable buildup. Upon closer inspection it looks like it has somewhat fresh plug welds. The plug welds on the other side are rusty. Based on what the rest of the axle tube looks like, I don't think it has been replaced, but makes me wonder what has happened and if it is compromised.

Any thoughts or advice on what to check?

This is the right side plug weld

IMG_8820.jpeg

this is the right side plug weld

IMG_8823.jpeg

Other than that, there was not anything shiny or chunky that came out of it when I drained the oil

IMG_8824.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I spent a few minutes stripping down the axle so the I can start cleaning it up for paint. When I was power washing everything, I noticed there was some extra build up of oil around the junction of the left axle tube and pumpkin. Not what looked like any fresh oil and it has never leaked any on the ground, but a noticeable buildup. Upon closer inspection it looks like it has somewhat fresh plug welds. The plug welds on the other side are rusty. Based on what the rest of the axle tube looks like, I don't think it has been replaced, but makes me wonder what has happened and if it is compromised.

Any thoughts or advice on what to check?

This is the right side plug weld

View attachment 162680

this is the right side plug weld

View attachment 162681

Other than that, there was not anything shiny or chunky that came out of it when I drained the oil

View attachment 162682

I say run it… but you know my standards.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If it all seems solid, since it's apart already you can run a bead of RTV around the junction of the casting to the tube on the inside, to hopefully prevent any more weeping through the press fit.

rholbrook

You know, they make some really cool custom frames for that. They can get spendy fast but its only your kids inheritance you will be giving me for the idea.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My friend who owns a body shop was gracious enough to let me borrow his rotisserie until I get the chassis back together. After talking to him I think I’ll clean up the underside and spray it with Raptor Liner while it is off.

Now comes the fun of getting it moved to my garage.

IMG_8852.jpeg

1969honda

Supporting Member
Check out the Gravitex coating from UPOL as well. I've read it is supposed to be more forgiving to rocks and debri as a true undercoat.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Progress.......but probably won't get to work on it until October since I leave for 2 weeks for a trip to Greece next week.
View attachment 163411

I know I don't have any room to talk when it comes to maintenance.. but those trailer fenders wouldn't fly at my house!
I might even just drive down to your place at paint them for you.. maybe i'll bring some oil for the deck also..