2002 KDX/CR Hybrid build

sixstringsteve

sweet! Let us know how it goes. With the proper jetting that thing should be a tractor. I do miss that bike, it was a blast. My current bike isn't too far off from that one.

jentzschman

Ya it looked way sweet. I am so pumped to get my bike. I may not get it this year... hopefully, but if not then spring looks good!

Do you have one at all now? If so what?

ricsrx

UPDATE: I left Hunter in Price for a few weeks for some unlimited riding time, his confidence level is going way up and has wadded the bike up a few times, drew alot of blood and will have afew scars to brag about, but on the last one he jacked up the tranny, I'm not sure how but is doesn't shift so i guess we get to tear it down and figure out what has happened, at least summer is about over and he got tons of ridding time in!!

jentzschman

Had a question on your street legal kit and thought I would ask it here for future reference.

What kit did you use and how did you wire it all together? I saw the battery pack under the seat, did that run all the lights and horn?

How long would that pack run the headlight at any one given time?

I have found a stator for a 99 yz250 and have been thinking about getting it and seeing if I could then get a similar pack like you used or this guy: http://www.motydesign.com/product.php?batteries=4-cell-battery and seeing if I could wire the stator to the pack to keep it charged. Electronics is something I know very little about. It would be way cool if this can work. Here is the stator I found for a yz: http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/light...oils/yamaha-yz-250-99-09-lighting-stator.html

I may not even need the battery pack but If I can wire it in to receive a charge from the stator, it would be nice to do so to keep some extra juice on tap.

sixstringsteve

Fixed.

two years after I built this bike, I did another one. build thread here:
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?96359-KX125-KDX200-Hybrid-Build&highlight=kdx

I liked it a lot more than the aluminum CR125 frame. Plus it was tons easier, and everything ended up fitting together better in the end.

IMG_20130511_085309_298.jpg

I miss that bike.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Funny you bringing this thread back up today, I spent a bunch of time yesterday searching so I could show it to my coworker. Ended up showing him both builds.

ricsrx

the CR Hybrid is a great bike, i use it as a back up bike, it is the kind of bike that any one can get on and ride with confidence

rholbrook

I just sold my 2003 KDX 220 a month or so ago. Got top dollar out of a clean bike that ran great. The guy calls me nearly weekly to tell me how much he loves it.

sixstringsteve

I prefer the 220 motor to the 200 motor. Much more low-end torque. Both are quite fun though. Super fun power delivery in a super lightweight package.

If I were to get another bike, I'd have a hard time passing up a 2T KTM freeride.