2002 KDX/CR Hybrid build

sixstringsteve

a little mid-day update. I got the blinkers working and fired her up. Took a couple kicks, but she runs now. No crazy amounts of vibration from the pipe either.

I'll keep working at it today. Still a lot of little kinks to work out, but I'm getting excited.

sixstringsteve

I'm afraid not. I still have a to of little things to dial in. there is a slim chance ill be able toneide it Saturday night, but I'm thinking mid hext week it'll be ridable.

sixstringsteve

I still need to:

- put some spacers on the lower motor mount
- get a new radiator T fitting from evco
- finish wiring the headlight/taillight/electrical
- secure wires, find a place for the relays
- bleed rear brake
- install chain
- find a solution for the kickstart (its hitting the pipe and frame)
- fix the petcock so it doesn't hit the water outlet in the head
- put the plastics back on

I'm sure there's more that I forgot.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I still need to:

- put some spacers on the lower motor mount
- get a new radiator T fitting from evco
- finish wiring the headlight/taillight/electrical
- secure wires, find a place for the relays
- bleed rear brake
- install chain
- find a solution for the kickstart (its hitting the pipe and frame)
- fix the petcock so it doesn't hit the water outlet in the head
- put the plastics back on

I'm sure there's more that I forgot.
Well get off the computer and get to work-- We need to see this thing done!

sixstringsteve

I know, I can't wait to get this thing out on the trail. I've been at scout camp all week (except for wed.) so I cant work on the bike till tomorrow night. ill see how much I can get done on Saturday.

sixstringsteve

I'll be wrenching on this and hopefully taking it for a spin up AF Canyon tonight. If anyone wants to lend a hand to speed the process up, feel free to come on over.

sixstringsteve

Since the wiring is all in the airbox, I wrapped it in masking tape, then duct tape. I'm worried about the voltage regulator. I'm afraid it'll get too hot being inside a paper towel, surrounded by a plastic bag, surrounded by duct tape. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's the wiring:

IMG_1394.JPG

Then I took it down to Jiffy lube, passed the safety inspection and took it for a ride.

sixstringsteve

This is a seriously fun bike. I love the way it handles. It feels quite a bit quicker than the KDX, and the suspension/handling are amazing. I don't want to change a thing on it, it's a really fun bike. I was riding wheelies for the first time. Since I was used to the KDX powerband (or lack thereof), it felt like a familiar bike, only with incredible handling. I can' wait to take it up American Fork Canyon.

She's done! Here she is:

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

sixstringsteve

only thing left is to get a kickstand, install my bark busters, and dent the pipe up so it isn't touching the frame anywhere. Oh yeah, and ride the crap out of it.

I'm thinking of getting the RB head and carb mods on it this winter when I can't be riding it anyway. We'll see.

krany

kranberry
that bike turned out sick, mine should be registerd soon, so lets go ridding.
but...Another thing it needs is some sweet graphics on the side, its a sick bike as it is but could be even sweeter. i have a neighbor who used to race mx but has retired this year from an injury and he owns and operated a skin company. its called ruthlessmx.com ive been down there and he does some sick work. real reasonable priced too. he used top notch vynal printer and the skins are laminated so they wont fade, plus they are super tough, passed my screw driver test and it didn't leave a mark, hard to peel off too. lmk i can get ya a price if ya want.

sixstringsteve

I'd love some white plastics, but I've spent too much so far. I need to sell my cr125 motor and my leftover parts before I can afford anything cosmetic.

krany

kranberry
you wouldnt happen to have a front rim would ya? think it would work for my yz?

wheelies are fun, i just tried to do it today in my bike, sketchy tho since it was my first wheely on a dirt bike

sixstringsteve

That is a great looking bike! That CR frame and suspension handle real well. I'm interested in the motor - shoot me a pm when you have time - what you doing with all the other left over parts?

Hey, thanks. I'm selling all the extra parts that I have left over. Cheap too. I just need them gone.