2002 KDX/CR Hybrid build

sixstringsteve

oh, cool. I didn't know there was a tool for that. That's exactly what I need. If the good ol' vice grips/heating/pounding doesn't work I'll have to borrow those from you unimog.

sixstringsteve

I went to my local vatozone and they had a stud remover kit. Thanks for the offer Unimog, it looks like I found one in time.

sixstringsteve

I installed the head studs and the head last night. Then I attacked the rear suspension linkage. It's the old 90/10 rule. Spend 90% of your time on 10% of the work. I've been fighting two of the bearings in the linkage. I got one out, and after 20 min of a chisel and a hammer and a vice, the last one is still stuck in there. I'll get it out tonight.

I'll try to get the radiator situation figured out tonight. Once I've got the radiators working, I can start putting stuff back together.

I wanted to be done by Saturday afternoon so I could take it on a trail ride, but I think that's a bit ambitious. I'd need a few helpers friday night to meet that reality, and I'd also need everything else to go super smooth. It'll probably be another 2 weeks 'till it's done.

sixstringsteve

I took tomorrow off work so I could get close to finished on this thing. I need to get the throttle cable worked out.

It looks like the CR airbox mounts right to the KDX carb. It's too good to be true, so I must be missing something.

The pipe is going to be a tight fit, but I think it's going to work out nicely. My two biggest issues tomorrow are the radiator and carb. Once those are done, the rest should come together nicely.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
What's going on with the throttle cable? The stock Honda cable should work fine in that carb if routing is the issue. I used my stock one when I swapped a Keihin onto my 02...

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The kdx has a funky cap that screws on to the carb. This cap takes up more slack in the cable than I have. Are all throttle cables and housing the same length?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
The kdx has a funky cap that screws on to the carb. This cap takes up more slack in the cable than I have. Are all throttle cables and housing the same length?

Can you bottom out the adjustment on the top of the cap and also bottom out the adjuster on the twist throttle? There are a million different throttle cable lengths and sizes for various years makes and models which makes it a pain when mix matching.

sixstringsteve

dang. I think I'm just going to have to go get a new kdx throttle cable. I thought they were interchangeable.

It's 90% together. The pipe is hitting the frame in a few spots. That's going to be annoying, but I'd like to just get it out on the trail and slowly work out the kinks. I'm surprised with how well everything is fitting. The air box --> carb fitting is awfully close to the shock, but it's not touching. Aside from the exhaust, everything is looking like it's meant to be there.

Here's what's left to do today:
- make radiators work
- install tank
- get a new throttle cable
- wiring the headlight/taillight/turn signals/horn, etc
- bleed brakes, adjust clutch, throttle, etc
- add fluids
- take it for a ride

Looks like it might be ridable by tonight. Anyone want to go for a short ride later tonight in the AF/Alpine area?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
:chris: more pics more pics!

Don't be afraid to dent the pipe in for frame/engine clearance. A lot of bikes come this way.

EDIT> I should have said dent in the expansion chamber if you must... Don't dent in the stinger (small part that attaches to the silencer).

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think I'll be denting it up once I figure out how it does. There are about 4 place I'll need to dent it. What's the best way to dent it? Chisel and a hammer?

Caleb

dang. I think I'm just going to have to go get a new kdx throttle cable. I thought they were interchangeable.

It's 90% together. The pipe is hitting the frame in a few spots. That's going to be annoying, but I'd like to just get it out on the trail and slowly work out the kinks. I'm surprised with how well everything is fitting. The air box --> carb fitting is awfully close to the shock, but it's not touching. Aside from the exhaust, everything is looking like it's meant to be there.

Here's what's left to do today:
- make radiators work
- install tank
- get a new throttle cable
- wiring the headlight/taillight/turn signals/horn, etc
- bleed brakes, adjust clutch, throttle, etc
- add fluids
- take it for a ride

Looks like it might be ridable by tonight. Anyone want to go for a short ride later tonight in the AF/Alpine area?
If you still need a cable, RMATV sells the Motion Pro cables and it's in stock for your KDX.

sixstringsteve

I got a ton done today, but the bike still isn't finished. it's 95% there. I lost my slide spring (due to my messy garage).

Unfortunately the chain I ordered was too short. A stock kdx chain is a 108. A stock CR125 chain is a 110, so I figured a 112 would be plenty. I was wrong. I really need a 116, or maybe even a 118 to be safe. Hopefully I can swap 'em, or at least return the one i bought.

Here's what's left:
- find slide spring and install/adjust throttle cable
- adjust clutch cable
- mount and route electronics (really only a 5 min job)
- install gas tank
- make pipe mounts
- put oil in it.
- get a new chain

Last edited:

Caleb

You sure you need a 116? I can order another and have it sent to you if you want. Then I can get that one from you and deal with sending it back.

sixstringsteve

i'm sure my 112 is too short. I probably need a 114, but I'd rather order a 116 and cut out two links just to be safe.

sixstringsteve

Here ya go Andrew, I know you're dying for some pics:

cylinder sleeve looks new-ish:

IMG_1283.JPG

I made my own upper head motor mounts out of the old CR mounts:

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

sixstringsteve

next up was getting the pipe installed.

It didn't quite fit in between the wishbone part of the front lower frame. So I had to grind the welds a bit:

IMG_1290.JPG

And that was just enough to fit:

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG