2006 Ford F350 Questions, Rough Ride on SLC Interstate Concrete

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Okay so I've had my truck for a couple of months. i usually don't drive it to work. but for the last two weeks I have been because i sold my commuter car to buy another car, and have been trying to get it up and running.

So my truck is pretty stock. It has the FX4 package (skid plates and Crapo (Rancho) shocks. No lift, long be crew cab 4x4. 175K miles. The only mod is mostly worn out Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/60/18 ( i think that's the correct size) close enough to the stock size but a little shorter and the FX4 wheels off a newer F350 FX4 truck

When ever I coming into SLC from the Layton area and I hit the concrete portion of the interstate my truck starts to shake. Violently. I've tried speeding up and slowing down. It does it for a few miles of the concrete. Does the concrete just suck ass there? Or is there something else wrong with my truck. It doesn't do it anywhere else. I've put about 2000 miles on it since I bought it. I've never noticed it in my old Range Rover, BMW, Sequoia or whatever else I've owned in the last 8 months.

:confused::confused:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Being that your Truck is fairly new and coil sprung up front you should have a decent ride.

I would check the tire psi and then order up a set of 5100 series Bilsteins. I have the 4600's on my F350 and have never looked back...seriously, they made a huge improvement over the Pro-comps that were rusting away.

Yes, that stretch of concrete does suck.

STAG

On my grind
Go ride down University Avenue in Provo. Yes, concrete just sucks that bad.

X2 on the wheelbase thing. My '99 Ford would hit the joints on University Ave just right and my front end would literally hop up and down cycling the suspension 4-6".

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
It's the road.. Between 35th S and 70th S is a joke. crew cab, long beds have the right wheel base to cross the concrete sections at the same time front and rear, causing some serious bouncing. I Hate it. Loaded with a trailer it gets a little better

LT.

If you have ever shaken a tree limb or a metal piece , or just jumped on the back of a truck and ocelated the suspension, you will be able to find its harmonic frequency. Those miserable expansion joints on I-15 are the perfect length to match your wheel base and find your trucks harmonic frequency. The shocks will go a long ways to helping the issue but, that may not be the only issue you have. Coil sprung Fords and Dodges can also suffer from death like wobble without being full blown death wobble we are all familiar with. That harmonic frequency also translates into other parts of the truck. Don't worry, it is nothing that cannot be over come. Start with a good set of shocks, check tire pressure, and try it again.

LT.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I cant even talk on the phone for that stretch of I-15, as it makes me sound like a I am Crying... My voice bounces and cracks so much with the bouncing of my lungs!

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
Check that the trackbar is not worn out, or starting to. I have had a few rides that only certain bumps would make the front end shake like hell and it's always been my trackbar.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My '07 CCLB powerstroke bucked me pretty bad on 201 headed to work and back home every single day. It really freaked me out at first but I just dealt with it.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
wow, thanks. i totally thought my truck was going to die. glad to see i'm not the only one. i really hate concrete roads. why not just top them with asphalt to smooth it out? i'm sure a lot of people would be greatful for it.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Many moons ago I hit a stretch of concrete road in Pennsylvania that made my old 2wd toyota truck gallop. For 25 miles, my friend and I were laughing like lunatics...

Coco

Definitely the roads! Both my truck (2002 extended cab, short bed leaf sprung) and my fathers (2007 crewcab, long bed) have horrible bucking/hopping rides on I-15, I have noticed it the worst from 7500S down to I think it is 114S? As well as bangerter highway with that concrete.

Last edited: