2008 KTM 250 XCF-W

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, I picked up the replacement for the incredibly capable '08 KTM 300 XC 2 stroke... here's to hoping the new bike fills the void that the 300 left! The new one is a '08 KTM 250 XCF-W with a KTM factory parts big-bore 280cc kit. It comes with some very nice extras too!

Scotts steering damper
Bullet Proof Designs radiator guards
Fastway hand guards
TrailTech Torch X2 halogen headlight
Pirelli MT43 rear trials tire
Pirelli MT21 front tire
4 gallon tank Acerbis

I have some other extras, the factory tank (which will probably get put on ASAP), tall seat, Wolfman Day-Tripper panniers and a handful of misc. stuff. I can use the big tank for longer dual sport rides when needed. Also came with a new spare piston, rings & gaskets too. The bike is White, which is odd IMO... but it's growing on me.

I rode it around our backyard, trying to get used to it... the power is a little soft on the bottom-end compared to a 450, but it pulls very hard as the revs increase. The power is also very linear and predictable, which is what I'm looking for. The bike itself is very flickable and easy to maneuver, I really like how manageable it is. I think it will be a pretty easy transition from the 300.

I don't have big changes planned for the bike, but it WILL be getting a Rekluse! :greg: Perhaps some tire changes, if I'm feeling rich eventually I'll upgrade the exhaust. Looking forward to riding this thing on both technical trails and longer dual sport rides.

Some pics-

20140316_182130_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20140316_182144_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

It's a neat bike, electric start, 6 speed wide ratio transmission. It's easy to plate and I'm planning on doing just that.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Be interesting to hear if it has enough power to keep you satisfied.

The 450 has waaaaaaaay more power than Ill ever use but its nice to have it there just in case.

Congrats!

Greg

Admin
That's an awesome bike, I'm jealous. That tank is schweet!

It's been built as more of a trail bike, the PO says it would get 200 miles out of a tankful! :eek:

Congrats Greg, look like a nice bike. What made you get rid of the 300?

Thanks Kyle! I loved the 300, so don't think that's not the case. The ONLY reason I sold it is because every once in awhile, in gnarly, rocky terrain I had a hard time managing the bike if I was going slow, then needed a burst of power, then needed to slow down again. I think I'm just a better rider on a 4 stroke. Having a plated bike again will be nice, I would love to make some bigger dirt rides, like the Moab/Fruita/Moab ride that Caleb and I did a few years ago. I think this 250 will be perfect for something like that.

Greg

Admin
Very cool, I like it.

It's no 500... :p But it does feel very easy to toss around, so I hope that's a good thing.

Be interesting to hear if it has enough power to keep you satisfied.

The 450 has waaaaaaaay more power than Ill ever use but its nice to have it there just in case.

Congrats!

We will see, I could see how it may be lacking in high-speed desert riding but after riding with Von on his '10 KTM of the same model, also with the big-bore engine (and some head work), it sure seems like plenty. His 250 would leave the WR450 in the dust... :freak:

Awesome. Looks like fun. My second favorite bike was my 08 250 xcfw. First favorite is my current. ;)

:thumbs: Better hang onto your 250 then!

STAG

On my grind
I'd like to test ride it if somehow we ever go on a trail ride. My brother had an '06 SXF 250 and that thing would keep up with my YZ450F step for step on the flat desert.

I'll even let you ride my Pitster Pro so you can see what you're missing hahaha

Tonkaman

I'm glad to see you made a quick decision. Now that you have a 4 stroke there's no excuse for skipping our epic adventure in June! I'll bet you could buy your way into the group with nightly brews.....

Greg

Admin
Put SX cams in it

I may wait before I get into the engine, it seems to have good power for now and the big bore kit is fresh. When I'm ready for more, I'll pull the head, upgrade the cams and have it ported and shaved. I don't want to sacrifice low RPM power for top-end performance though.

Very nice--good looking too :cool:

I really want to get a 250 4T or 200 2T.

I'm liking it, it's nice to have a smaller bike.

I'd like to test ride it if somehow we ever go on a trail ride. My brother had an '06 SXF 250 and that thing would keep up with my YZ450F step for step on the flat desert.

I'll even let you ride my Pitster Pro so you can see what you're missing hahaha

No problem! Interesting to hear about the SXF vs the YZF!! I'd love a ride on the Pitster Pro!

I'm glad to see you made a quick decision. Now that you have a 4 stroke there's no excuse for skipping our epic adventure in June! I'll bet you could buy your way into the group with nightly brews.....

:rofl: I'll see if I can make it happen.

Where were the voids of the 300?

I meant that there was a void after selling the 300. ;)

Greg

Admin
I swapped on the stock tank and shrouds, I like it. Much smaller profile, I'll have to see what kind of mileage I get out of it and see if I can keep it for most of the riding. This pic made me realize how much the chain needs to be adjusted!

20140317_184837_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg