2008 KTM 250 XCF-W

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I really like that bike. I'm liking this thread because I've toyed with the idea of getting a 250 instead of a 450/500. Infact I almost bought a Husaberg 250 for my last bike until I found that 500. I've had similar thoughts going through my head again recently.

That's a tough call... if I had a few thousand sitting around and sold the 250, I'd be looking for a 500. :greg:

The 250 is easy to ride without feeling like it's too much power, which is good for me. It makes it's best power at high PRM's and it's been quite a learning curve for me compared to 450's that want to yank you off the bike right off the bat. My bike still isn't as powerful as Von's, he has some head-work that I'm lacking and it makes a pretty big difference IMO.

Caleb

I think that's why I like the 500 so much, I'm pretty much a pansy so I don't ever really twist the throttle, yet the 500 always has whatever power you need, right there.

Greg

Admin
I think that's why I like the 500 so much, I'm pretty much a pansy so I don't ever really twist the throttle, yet the 500 always has whatever power you need, right there.

For me it's not too difficult to ride this bike fast and stay in total control (or close to it). It was pretty easy for me today to lean it over in the corners, spin the rear-end coming out of them and be completely confident.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm glad you're liking those tires. Did you pick a 110 or 120 rear?

I run a sx1 rear just because it's a little softer, but on the front I run the SE3 as it's an enduro tire which has a supposedly stiffer sidewall and more durable compound than a SX1 (Supercross tire).

Play around with air pressures too. I've notice 1 or 2 lbs can change a lot.

Greg

Admin
I'm glad you're liking those tires. Did you pick a 110 or 120 rear?

I run a sx1 rear just because it's a little softer, but on the front I run the SE3 as it's an enduro tire which has a supposedly stiffer sidewall and more durable compound than a SX1 (Supercross tire).

Play around with air pressures too. I've notice 1 or 2 lbs can change a lot.

I did a 110 out back. I probably should have done the SE3, but didn't realize it was stiffer. I punished that front tire on some rocks pretty hard and thought I did pinch-flat it at one time, but it held up just fine.

I was at 15 PSI in the rear and it feels pretty low pushing on the tire... my only traction problems were on hard-pack with loose gravel, not the usual riding terrain. :D I climbed up some pretty gnarly ledges where you needed to loft the front tire and it hooked up great in those situations.

Greg

Admin
The lil' KTM 250 has received a few upgrades recently, thought I'd better update this thread. Before the recent RME Winter Riding Trip in St George I wanted to make sure I had fresh tires and plenty of traction, (because I didn't last time and it sucked!) so I decided it was time to run Tubliss inserts and 2 new tires with a proven record. Up front I opted for Bridgestone M59 and out back I went with a Sedona MX907hp. The reviews on the front Bridgestone M59 claim that the tire sticks in the corners better than most other tires and that it lasts quite well. The Sedona has a pretty stiff carcass, but due to the design and compound it hooks up very well and also lasts quite awhile before needing to be replaced. Quite a few people running the Sedona are also running the Tubliss system and the stiff tire works great at single digit pressures.

After the ride, I have to say that I'm very impressed with both tires, the traction they provide and how well the Tubliss worked... I was running 9 PSI in the front and 5 PSI in the rear. The front tire stuck in the corners and was very confidence inspiring. The rear tire bites and hooks up without hesitation, it was almost too easy to wheelie the bike and there were a couple climbs where I had too much traction. I'm very happy with the tire change and without a doubt will be replacing these, when they wear out, with the same thing.

P1312738-L.jpg

P1312740-M.jpg

P1312743-L.jpg

Next up was the plastics... they were original and the White wasn't wearing well. On top of that, due to some poor riding choices I had a couple broken pieces... and a bent rear subframe! :eek: It was time to change things up and straighten the subframe. I decided to run Orange plastics this time around and ordered Polisport parts thru RMATV. Had to get new Orange hand guards from ProMoto Billet for their Fastway handguards.

P1312745-L.jpg

P1312746-L.jpg

P1312744-L.jpg

After!-

P1312756-L.jpg

P1312755-L.jpg

I also upgraded the pegs to Tusk Billet pegs, as the stock ones were bent up when I got the bike. They're a bit larger and have a much better bite for the boots.

P1312749-L.jpg

Since I had new plastics, I decided to go ahead and get rid of the brake light that was on the bike. It was once plated, but I'm not going to worry about that anymore... this isn't a bike that will see much, if any, time on the road. I've got a sticker kit on the way for the new plastics, should be here any time. Lastly, the fork seals were leaking so I went ahead and paid a local shop to fix that one for me. :D

Greg

Admin

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I really liked the looks of it

Id really like to try the Motoz mountain hybrid. Basically a trials with side knobs.

My rear tire has a few rides left in it but the front needs replaced NOW

Greg

Admin
I really liked the looks of it

Id really like to try the Motoz mountain hybrid. Basically a trials with side knobs.

My rear tire has a few rides left in it but the front needs replaced NOW

Good call, I ran a MotoZ on my 690 Enduro and liked it. That Mountain Hybrid looks neat!

I'm very happy with the Bridgestone M59 front, seems solid to me... and I'm pretty picky when it comes to tires.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Looking good! I rode my 250 (I sold to my bro) this past weekend a little. Still love that bike and don't mind getting off the 300 to rip around on it!

Greg

Admin
Thanks Von, your 250 XCFW sold me on buying one... loved how light it was, with enough grunt to get around. There are times I wish it was a 450, but it's not often. I love how maneuverable this thing is, it's so easy for me to ride in the rough stuff.

Tonkaman

The specs only show the 250 being 9 pounds lighter than its 450 brother. Am I missing something else that makes it feel so much lighter? For 9 pounds I'll take the extra ponies