Report 5 Miles of Hell!!

GAR

Wow super cool. Looks like it wasn't with out some struggles but you guys made some of it look easy. I definitely want to try it. Not sure how my 525 would do, well not sure how I would do picking it up all day, haha

jentzschman

Wow super cool. Looks like it wasn't with out some struggles but you guys made some of it look easy. I definitely want to try it. Not sure how my 525 would do, well not sure how I would do picking it up all day, haha

I think you would do well Grant. You are a good rider...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sweet vid. Much to technical for my liking. Maybe once I get more seat time.

Build up your technical riding ability and work on your clutching skills... you'll need them!

Very rad. :cool:

We talked about you... :eek: :p

Oh, I edited out the hard parts where we struggled... :D Personally, I wouldn't want to ride a 525 thru 5MOH, let alone a 450. Something smaller and manageable in ROUGH terrain comes highly recommended.

jentzschman

Build up your technical riding ability and work on your clutching skills... you'll need them!

I know for one I need to learn how to loft the front end better. Looking forward to AFC riding this year. From what I hear from others it will be a good teacher.

Greg

Admin
I know for one I need to learn how to loft the front end better. Looking forward to AFC riding this year. From what I hear from others it will be a good teacher.

AFC is a good start, but if you want to 'train' for 5MOH, Moab has some good trails... Cliffhanger & Moab Rim are good starts, plus the Sovereign trail. Once you have those down, check out the trails around 5MOH... the Red trail, Waterfall Trail, etc.

wow, that looks so fun! I can't wait to get out there some day!

Get it on video! :D

jentzschman

AFC is a good start, but if you want to 'train' for 5MOH, Moab has some good trails... Cliffhanger & Moab Rim are good starts, plus the Sovereign trail. Once you have those down, check out the trails around 5MOH... the Red trail, Waterfall Trail, etc.

I am wanting to get to Moab for some rides... I hope to get some in this fall when it cools down as well as hopefully this summer at least once or twice.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Seeing Von (who I know is a great rider) struggle really confirms my thoughts of not wanting to ride it :D

Man, I made it look alot harder than it actually was. It didn't occur to me that we were going to do this trail until we got down there. Otherwise, I would have geared down. I have a decently low first gear thankfully, but the 14/52 is just way too high for this stuff, and clutching it like mad all the time made every obstacle a chore. I definitely want to go back soon with a 13 tooth sprocket on the front. I can't say that will make any difference on The Crux, but everywhere else should be much more manageable. :)

Greg

Admin
Part II of the videos is uploaded! This is pretty much everything else... -

[video=youtube;57GA4AtI9S8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57GA4AtI9S8[/video]

Vonski

nothing to see here...
BTW, you won't see much of Sam in the videos. He pretty much rode everything clean. Based on the type of riding he does in the NW and Canada, things are pretty tame down here, so this was just another day riding for him. Greg and his new bike rocked it as well.

Greg

Admin
Man, I made it look alot harder than it actually was. It didn't occur to me that we were going to do this trail until we got down there. Otherwise, I would have geared down. I have a decently low first gear thankfully, but the 14/52 is just way too high for this stuff, and clutching it like mad all the time made every obstacle a chore. I definitely want to go back soon with a 13 tooth sprocket on the front. I can't say that will make any difference on The Crux, but everywhere else should be much more manageable. :)

I'm sure lower gearing would have made all the difference Von, even then you handled it in stride.

BTW, you won't see much of Sam in the videos. He pretty much rode everything clean. Based on the type of riding he does in the NW and Canada, things are pretty tame down here, so this was just another day riding for him. Greg and his new bike rocked it as well.

Sam is a SOLID rider! He rode 5MOH like it was nothing, I felt like I just hacked my way thru most of it. Watching the videos, I was sitting down way too much... I think that had a lot to do with my back hurting. I need to stand way more often. I do need to raise my bars a bit more, my long body & arms feel a little too stressed while standing over the bike.

The 300 was very manageable on that trail for me, it's crazy how much difference a smaller, lighter bike makes to my riding. Now I need to get smaller (lighter) myself! :eek: Crossfit here I come! :greg:

Great video. That is one naughty looking trail.

good grief.

Yep, it's brutal... but it's only 7-something miles long... so it has to end, eventually. :freak:

sixstringsteve

I can't believe how much that 300 will lug. You rode it like a 450 4t. It sounds like you never really had to wind it up, it would just pull along at any RPM.

Greg

Admin
Great pictures, did not know that hell could be that challenging and wonderful at the same time.

Yes! It's my kind of Hell, so remote and so amazingly beautiful.

I can't believe how much that 300 will lug. You rode it like a 450 4t. It sounds like you never really had to wind it up, it would just pull along at any RPM.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing... you can just creep along at low RPM's and never even get on the pipe. The Rekluse along with the 300 make for an amazing ride for technical trails, it just works.