a serious discussion: I want to run the Rubicon

I realize that the terrain in Utah is nothing like the terrain in the Sierra Nevadas. Are there any trails in our state that are similar in difficulty/obstacles to the rubicon? Is Hanging Tree tougher or easier than the Rubicon? (excluding little and big sluice).

I'd say the closest thing here difficulty wise would be something like golden spike.

Probably not an issue for most rigs, but there are some tight areas through the trees. Full width axles no problem, but full width body needs some careful driving in a couple of places.

sixstringsteve

I heard that short wheelbase rigs (under 105) do better than long wheelbase rigs (110+) on that trail. Maybe I'll bob my bed and shorten my wheelbase by then.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I'm going to get my trailer done and try to do several multi day trips by next year. Maybe run through Beef Basin and then into Moab and through golden spike. It cold be a good three day trip

ID Bronco

The Rubicon isn't that hard except for optional areas. I would take that rig. It is a few days of bumping around so it's tough on parts from a longevity standpoint but you can get through it pretty easily. It is a county road. I would have other rigs with you but that Jeep could handle the basic trail with careful driving. I loved it. It was one of my favorite trails ever based upon scenery, not difficulty. Totally worth the trip and I plan on doing it again with my boys. I would do 3-4 days just to take it easy and enjoy the camping. Two days is doable, we did it but I would do four and run both ways.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
you're going to need at least one locker (preferably rear) or it'll be extremely frustrating. I'm all for getting less built rigs through trails, but there comes a point where it's not even fun anymore when you're underbuilt for the trail. Let's try to get you through constrictor sometime and see how it does.

I'm always up for a challenge that is just outside my Jeep's apparent ability--that's why I've added all the armor. :D As for constrictor, I have run this Wrangler up to the infamous left turn; I had to stop at that point because there was another Jeep (better built than me) who was struggling to make the turn. I ended up just turning around and heading back out the way I came in before he got through the turn.

I would try to stuff at least 32s under there and 33s if possible. I ran it back in 98 and had 32s, but lockers front and rear. The True Old Sluice will do the most damage from what I recall.

I greatly appreciate your advice, Bart. Nevertheless, the next set of tires I buy for this Jeep will be 35s. (My current setup of budget boost + 31s is just to hold me over until I can step up to my desired 35s.) Knowing that I'll need to regear for the 35s--plus everything else that I'll need--I seriously doubt I'll be on 35s by next summer. So it's either 31s or nothing for me.

BTW: I went back and re-read that Jp article where they took a near-stock YJ over the Rubicon. The only significant mod to that Wrangler was a 2" body lift. The leaf springs and shackles were all OEM, both diffs were open and it wore 31" tires on the stock wheels. They also removed the track bars and sway bar, and some rocker guards and a winch were added... and that's it. What was their overall verdict after running the entire trail?

"Surprisingly, it was the clearance that was more of an issue than the lack of traction. We hit just about everything on the underside of our Jeep."

My Jeep currently won't flex as much as that YJ, so that's why I thought a locker might be a handy addition. (Besides, my long-term plan is to have them f&r anyway.) It is successes like theirs that give me hope for my Jeep making it over the whole trail.

I heard that short wheelbase rigs (under 105) do better than long wheelbase rigs (110+) on that trail. Maybe I'll bob my bed and shorten my wheelbase by then.

I'm at 114 with an outside width of 81. I think I had to back up a couple of times to make a turn through the trees. No big deal. Definitely a trail you want to do at least once.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.645887,-112.301246

OREGON85

from OREGON
I've always wanted to do the Rubicon. My dad did it probably about 15 times in his FJ-40. He did it with open diffs and 31's and limited slip front and rear and 33's. From the video's and what he's said if you can drive alright you're good to go in about anything with some clearance, especially with a short wheelbase.

4biker

I've always wanted to do this as well. Even if I bypass the hardest stuff I'll enjoy going down and rattling through the trail. I'll need more armor and clearance though. Definitely a bucket list item!

ewander

Me, my brother and a good friend did it a couple of years ago with 2 XJs (1 locked front and rear and the other with only a rear locker) and a TJ locked front and rear, all with 33's. We also had 2 winches in the group. We did the 4 day trip, 1 travel day to and from and spent 2 days on the trail. We are pretty experienced and didn't really have any problems other than the clearance issues mentioned above. We literally drug over EVERYTHING. The XJ with only one locker did struggle slightly more than us and ended up getting a little body damage. I wouldn't do this trail w/out at least one locker. On the entrance obstacle we watched some big rigs snap an axle and bust a hub. We passed several broken down rigs along the way.

It was an awesome trip, very different from the standard Utah trails and extremely challenging. The rocks never ended..... I want to do it again in the JK.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
So I am originally from Northern California and my brother is getting married Sept. 1st in Ft. Bragg - just might have to stay a couple of extra days and join you...:)

I'll get back to you...

4biker

Ok, I have to ask what the minimum requirements you want to put down for this trip? I'd love to run it, but I don't want to end up being a liability even though I think I could do it in my current setup. I've got 33's, sliders, skids, rear locker, winch, and a hitch for bumping. Thanks!

sixstringsteve

Ok, I have to ask what the minimum requirements you want to put down for this trip? I'd love to run it, but I don't want to end up being a liability even though I think I could do it in my current setup. I've got 33's, sliders, skids, rear locker, winch, and a hitch for bumping. Thanks!

I think your rig will be good. I'd expect a scratch or two. Bring spare cvs and tie rod ends.