AF Canyon, 085, North Fork Road

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I had heard there was a gate closure on the Heber side. I didn't think about trying some of the other trails to get around the closure. I had read about the closure on that side from the Forest Service site. I'm eager to see how that works when it thaws out a bit

There was a gate closure on the Heber side until things melted out AND they added the new gate below Shaeffer Trail (Forest Lake) to prevent downhill traffic at the washout. They then opened the Heber gate.

Lka1988

Poking my head in here for the first time in a looooong time. Any updates, Kurt? Or are we still waiting for The System to do it's thing?

My wife and I were up there on Saturday, took FIL's Honda Talon up the Alpine loop and through Cummings Parkway to Snake Creek to see if we could at least get to Forest City, but the loop near Sandy Baker pass was all snowed in and I didn't feel like putting my family in danger... I dug around for more info and found this thread. Hopefully something happens... I miss dicking around up there. My kids would sure love to see their dad's old stomping grounds haha

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been super frustrated with the PG ranger station in specific over the last 5 years. I have stopped in multiple times inquiring about how I can volunteer to maintain singletrack. Each time I was directed to Steve Winters who is a MTBer who volunteers and has adopted all the trails south of the 4 way. I made 20 calls to the FS Volunteer coordinator and sent several emails. Never got a reply. So..... I just decided to stop caring about what the FS permits. I started cutting downed trees on legal single track on my own without permission 3 years ago. What are they going to do, give me community service for maintaining public trails without permission? To be clear, I'm doing exactly what the sanctioned volunteers are doing, just without the approval.

FF to this week. I was cutting trees on Mill with my wife and encountered several dirt bikers. My wife asked if I was going to yell at them for riding closed trails. Here is my take. I am not going to. She and I were technically breaking the rules by clearing trails without being saw certified. Forest lake and graveyard flats were adopted and maintained by user groups, RME peeps being a big part of that volunteer effort. A small washout in the road and the FS removes everyone's ability to use those public lands. They could very easily open 85 to motorcycle traffic. It's not a safety hazard, but they don't. Following the rules hoping that you get to use public land is like a battered spouse trying to appease the abuser in an effort to not be abused. It's wasted effort. The good part is the FS is so inept that they probably can't put together a program to put $50 trail cameras up to catch poachers.
FYI, all the singletrack is open except Mill (40/41) which is still a river at the bottom.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I have been super frustrated with the PG ranger station in specific over the last 5 years. I have stopped in multiple times inquiring about how I can volunteer to maintain singletrack. Each time I was directed to Steve Winters who is a MTBer who volunteers and has adopted all the trails south of the 4 way. I made 20 calls to the FS Volunteer coordinator and sent several emails. Never got a reply. So..... I just decided to stop caring about what the FS permits. I started cutting downed trees on legal single track on my own without permission 3 years ago. What are they going to do, give me community service for maintaining public trails without permission? To be clear, I'm doing exactly what the sanctioned volunteers are doing, just without the approval…

Prior to moving from Heber in ‘17, I was clearing 037 each spring without permission. Otherwise, it would be late in the season by the time it was cleared. 🙄 *Helps having the right saw chaps as it makes for zero hassles. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpeg
    IMG_3628.jpeg
    483.1 KB · Views: 26