AF Canyon, 085, North Fork Road

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Forest Road# 085 is the main (and technically/legally the only) route between Tibble Fork Reservoir and the upper North Fork Drainage including Forest Lake, Poleline Pass, Miner Basin, Mary Ellen Gulch and Lower Major Evans Gulch.

4A30BAEB-B164-4772-A92B-694BBD2DF483.jpeg
(Washout at 085 Narrows)
At current there is a washout at the 'Narrows' that had the Forest Service worried enough to close the road. It's gated to the south just above Tibble Fork Reservoir (access to Silver Lake Flat Reservoir is preserved) and a new gate installed on the north side just south of the Forest Lake (Shaffer Fork) Trail at the site of Forest City. At current, the only public access to those upper routes is via Poleline Pass.

1694804217441.png
(Washout is red X and the gate is to the right, adjacent to the old Sultana Smelter site at the Forest Lake trail head)

Earlier this week, Preserve & Protect American Fork Canyon (PPAFC) led a group of county officials to this and several other sites in the canyon to survey the damage and discuss solutions. PPAFC Board Member Mark Allen assembled the activity and asked me to lead a group up to the sites and discuss some historical context of the canyon and the routes while there. We were joined by Mike Smith (Utah County Sherriff), Brandon Gordon (Utah County Commissioner), the Utah County Surveyor, the Utah Public Works Director, a Utah County SAR representative and a small group of enthusiasts.

A9FE8155-D408-42EE-A5C5-0270BEE68941.jpeg
(Looking at the Dutchman washout)

Our first visit was the washout in question along 085. Personal note, it's not as bad as I imagined, in fact I would have zero issues driving any standard 4x4 vehicle through. However, it does have great consequence IF someone went off there AND traffic not respecting the damage could cause further damage and make it harder to fix I suppose. Now, this is a county road on the Utah County road map BUT it is also a Forest Service route. The Forest Service is working to repair this, I'm told that they are waiting on Federal FS in-house engineers to develop a plan/procedure to repair but they have the $$$, just a slow process. I'm told the County has 10-12 local engineering firms they keep on retainer and they could have them start on the repair design ASAP and roll much faster BUT they don't have the budget for this or other repairs without action from their commissioners. Ideal world, we get the Forest Service to fund the County to handle the repair. I don't think that is super likely but I don't know? Either way, nothing is happening in 2023 and we'll be lucky to get the repair kicked off as snow melts next year. It could be this time next year IF things go smooth.

BCB752EC-2569-47BF-AC99-DB84D995E64E.jpeg
(Washout on Mineral Basin Road)

Next up, we looked at a washout on the Miller Hill 4x4 Trail Route (adopted by ExpeditionUtah :cool: ) that has been around for many years. Again, this route is also on the County Road map. We have a few options in play there. Lastly was a major washout section on the Mineral Basin trail, approximately 1/2 mile from the water crossing. This is not preventing passage, the trail is getting routed slightly to the west to avoid the washout. I don't want to put words in the county officials mouths but they sure seemed to indicate all of them were easy fixes, just getting through the red tap and equipment on site is the only issue. If possible, I'd love for them to take a look at a potential trail hazard in Mary Ellen Gulch that could be quickly/easily fixed with some equipment. I'm hoping to get some phone time with FS District Ranger Russ Hanson in the coming days to get an update on his end. Russ wasn't able to join us for this field trip but he and I had some brief message exchanges and he knew we were going to be up the canyon looking at these shared issues.

A7264089-60D1-4A13-918D-EEC4CDED7AA9.jpeg
(Our field trip crew)

Last edited:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Thanks. I tried going up recently and hit that gate. Was planning on taking the dirt bike up to see what was what, nice to know people are on it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Let me guess, they ran out of budget by keeping those 10-12 firms on retainer. Is there any chance those firms aren’t owned by relatives of politicians?
“We’ll send you money each month and never have you do any actual work”.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Let me guess, they ran out of budget by keeping those 10-12 firms on retainer. Is there any chance those firms aren’t owned by relatives of politicians?
“We’ll send you money each month and never have you do any actual work”.

Call and ask.

As I understand it, they have a big budget for paved and primary road repairs. They can act fast and make those happen. Class D roads are quite rare in Utah County and they don’t maintain an annual budget for them.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Maybe it's time to bring more pressure. Has there been any sort of concerted letter writing campaign? Believe that's in John Curtis's district?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Maybe it's time to bring more pressure. Has there been any sort of concerted letter writing campaign? Believe that's in John Curtis's district?

Yes, plenty of pressure. Mark Allen of PPAFC is lighting fires but the county has engineers at the ready but no budget the Forest Service has theoretical budget (think of the $$$ collected at the booth) but they have a massive backlog on engineering projects. Meshing the two with cooperative agreement is the goal but was the goal of the visit highlighted above and here we are with spring around the corner.

moabrat

I suspect the goal is to close the road permanently. That’s the passive aggressive approach they usually use. If that weren’t the case they would’ve gated the road much closer to the actual hazard and left the gates from the other side open so that we could have trail access. There’s really no reason to have it closed off above the damage when you can access it from the other side of the hill. .

Edited for stupid voice to text. Freakin Siri lol

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
You can access it from the Heber side and there aren't a million morons up there now. I poached it on a bike from the AF side multiple times last year.

I may be misremembering, but didn't someone say they were giving tickets out to people doing this?

moabrat

I had heard there was a gate closure on the Heber side. I didn't think about trying some of the other trails to get around the closure. I had read about the closure on that side from the Forest Service site. I'm eager to see how that works when it thaws out a bit