Air arc in utah??

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Does anyone know of a shop or person who can air arc off some spring perches from my new axles? Its way to big of a job for a plas or a grinder. Torch would not be ideal either.

Anyone?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think you would be better off with a plasma and gouge tip. For air arc to be really effective you arc out the weld which will leave a gouge line where the weld was. I could do it either way for you.

ChestonScout

I have no experience with air arc. My buddy leroy had his air arced off his axletechs and there was hardly any left for him to grind. No penetration into the housing at all. Thats why i figured it would be the best option.

Could you PM me a rough guess on price?

blznnp

I have no experience with air arc. My buddy leroy had his air arced off his axletechs and there was hardly any left for him to grind. No penetration into the housing at all. Thats why i figured it would be the best option.

Could you PM me a rough guess on price?
All depends on who does the job. The if someone isn't careful they can gouge the crap out of your axle. But if the know what they are doing, then they can do a good job. I was always nervous doing it, but I did it when in school, never on the job

ChestonScout

Thats what ill do if necessary. But if the price is reasonable it may be worth it to save the time and have someone take care of it for me

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I could remove all 4 of those in under half an hour with my portaband, a cutoff wheel, and a hammer.... hardly worth tracking down an air arc.
You can get a lot of work done with 5 minutes of the grinding wheel to the work. Just get your safety glasses and face shield, earplugs, gloves and get to work... you'll be done before you know it.

Last edited:

ChestonScout

Well i decided to give it a go with the bandsaw and plas. About a hour each to get the big parts off. Probably have another hour each of grinding.

I am going to do some calling tomorrow for the second axle. There is no sense in killing me and my limited equipment for this when a decent shop could have them done in minutes

I will call booth. Thanks!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Sorry for not following up with you. I work this weekend and will be at sema next weekend. If you want to wait I can help the weekend after that.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I forgot to add the cheapie facemask...
wearing safety glasses and/or faceshield, ear plugs/muffs, a facemask, and gloves really does make grinding MUCH more tolerable. When you're missing any one of these it really does suck.
Earbuds under the ear muffs is a good way to go, a few songs later and you're done.

61KzqROKDkL._SX355_.jpg