General Tech air down and 16.5 wheels

dodgezilla

Does anyone have experience with airing down tires on 16.5 wheels? I have 38x12.50x16.5 tsl bias swampers on my ramcharger. I am taking it to Moab this weekend and was if others have experience with these wheels.

TIA

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Take a couple cans of starting fluid to help reseat beads on the trail and go with trial and error :)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm pretty sure Meat ran 16.5's on his blazer for awhile. I thought he'd chime in by now, but he's probably half way to Moab by now :-\

I've been with a few rigs over the years that have blown 16.5 beads aired down just a little bit. H1 beadlocks fix that problem pretty quick ;)

jswainthug

I have never seen a problem. I dont think the size of the rim would influence the bead more the SHAPE of the rim. If the rim is flat or tapered / slanted. Atleast thats my experience. I have never seen a difference in a bead holding on a 15 inch rim to an 18 inch rim.

mrclean

INTERNET WHEELER
My bro ran some for a while and for what i can remember all 16.5 rims do not have a bead lock lip on them i would run around ten any lower he would push the side wall in and they would leak.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have never seen a problem. I dont think the size of the rim would influence the bead more the SHAPE of the rim. If the rim is flat or tapered / slanted. Atleast thats my experience. I have never seen a difference in a bead holding on a 15 inch rim to an 18 inch rim.

The 16.5 "safety bead" is significantly less effective than any 15, 16, 17 inch wheel I've ever seen.

I did have good luck with the H1 wheels though. I'm running the same type of wheel in a 16" now.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust

The 16.5 "safety bead" is significantly less effective than any 15, 16, 17 inch wheel I've ever seen. .

Yes the 16.5's have a very unique bead. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but they have a VERY small lip.

On a side note I have seen some aftermarket alum. 16.5's that are just plain scary because they had such a short lip for the bead. On one particular set I was confused as to how a tire didn't just blow right off of it under normal pressure :ugh:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Where did you find H1 style beadlocks in 16"?

Ebay.

From what I understand, some military versions of IFS Chevs were built? They came with Hutchinson beadlocks. They weigh at least as much as the H1s but they're made out of alum. They have an insert like the H1s (rubber) and bolt together. The insert holds each bead against the wheel. I've only had them on the trail once so far, but I do like them so far other than the weight.

I believe you can get Hutchinson beadlocks in 17"?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Marc is running some of the ultra-pimp "CUCV II" beadlocks, they are very very similar to Hutchinson's retail rims, as opposed to the steel H1's. Very limited run, rumor has it these were border patrol order items that were rejected for whatever reason and surplused out. Excellent rims if you can snag a set.

from my knowledge 16.5 were made for the military and then for farm use so you can change the tire on the vehicle but not the rim so they needed to break the bead while still on the vehicle and that's why the small lip for the side wall. I would try 10 but not less then that. But yeah it's going to be trail and error. I would take a 3 inch ratchet strap so you can wrap it around the center of the tire to push the bead out and also a valve core removal tool so you can get more more air in, in a faster manner.

jsudar

I observed the dodgezilla while wheeling and no beads popped off.

One of the rear tires got aired down to around 10 psi by accident (the others stayed at 20) and it never came off the rim. It did Fins n Things in 2WD due to hub problems and then did Hells Revenge in 4WD till the front driveshaft u-joint grenaded. Not bad for a maiden voyage and a first time Moab driver.

We did carry two spares though.