Am I Being Detained?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I know there are quite a few LEO's on board here and that's why I'm posting this - to get their point of view. Especially interested because this is right here in SLC.

In my opinion this is ridiculous. This guy is getting harassed for no reason. That said, I don't agree with the harsh message toward the end, but I'm sure that's a normal reaction for just having a run in like this. Obviously this guy knows his rights (even though he gave up some of them but not after talking it out) and is pretty informed. But in my opinion, he should have kept his mouth shut and not answered any questions at all.

[video=youtube;BwQ7mQObheY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwQ7mQObheY[/video]

For everybody else - how do you feel about these types of run-ins? Sure seems like a "Show your papers" situation.

D

Deleted member 12904

Honestly my personal experience with lEO's as of the past few years has been negative. They treat you as guilty until proven innocent and have no issue telling lies to move things in their favor. I'm with this guy most Leo should be ashamed of the way they treat people. Grantsville pd is by far some of the worst I have ever dealt with and I have zero respect for them.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm with Shane all the way on this video. The message at the end is a little harsh since most LEO's don't act like this. Obviously this has always been happening but now thanks to social media and youtube people are actually able to be made aware of it on a mass scale.

Cascadia

Undecided
I agree that this guy wasn't treated fairly. But the message was over the top I thought. My brother in law is just graduating the Academy but I can't see him acting like any of that message at the end. He doesn't do it because he is a low iq parasite.

D

Deleted member 12904

Unfortunately I think it's the nature of the business that creates these dicks. I bet most don't start out as being dishonest a holes but most at a minimum end up being at least a holes. Funny thing is just yesterday I was shopping for a camera to mount in my car to record run ins with cops. I hope more people start recording and exposing the dishonest people in law enforcement.

STAG

Funny thing is just yesterday I was shopping for a camera to mount in my car to record run ins with cops. I hope more people start recording and exposing the dishonest people in law enforcement.

I used to always drive around with a dash-cam recording video. But after months of never getting anything out of the ordinary on video I quit doing it. Apparently in Russia a majority of cars have dash cams.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I agree that this guy wasn't treated fairly. But the message was over the top I thought. My brother in law is just graduating the Academy but I can't see him acting like any of that message at the end. He doesn't do it because he is a low iq parasite.

Exactly. The message at the end was out of line. But the whole thing is still disturbing.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
But in my opinion, he should have kept his mouth shut and not answered any questions at all.

Or could he have just said "No, I don't smoke, I'm waiting for someone to show up" in the first 2 seconds and made this whole thing a non-issue? :confused:

Side note--I'm gathering it's against UTA policy to smoke on any of their properties? I didn't know that. (haven't paid attention, since I rarely take any UTA anything, and don't smoke anyway)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What proof do we have that he was not smoking or hanging out beyond the 'few minutes' he claims. Assuming he in fact was doing either... the entire situation is his fault no? If he was standing around smoking as she accuses... he wasn't being 'hastled' he was dealt with. If he was in fact there to catch a train or bus and was not smoking, then officer #1 is out of line, the other 2 acted nothing but professional no? Given his comments at the end such as "most of the laws they enforce are unconstitutional", I can't give him much credit.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I only got to where the third cop shows up, does it get any better???

I understand that there are rights, and you don't have to deal with police. However, respect is a two way street. His first words to her were "I don't talk to cops". Had he said 'no ma'am, not once in my life' that would be the end off it. He wanted to play hard ball, and he got it.
I do not see this as a bad police issue. They have a job to do, but they are regular people just looking for a paycheck like the rest of us. They are not a great evil.
That bein said, no one is more anti-police than myself (been pulled over more than 90 times, 80 or so for no reason) I have dealt with federal officers too many times in and out of courts. There are plenty of 'guilty until proven innocent' officers out there, and they suck (usually FS, and BLM officers)
However, I see this as a citizen started conflict.

UFAB

Being argumentative does not help the situation out. Answer the question clearly and no action would off been taken.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I agree that he shouldn't have said "I don't talk to cops." But they gave him no reason for his detention, and when he asked if he could they told him no. He should have grabbed his ID back and left. They have to tell you by law why you are being detained. I have a friend who is a county prosecuting attorney. He told me " never answer any questions to an officer." moreover ask am I free to go. If no, then ask why. If no answer is forth coming leave..
This type of action is why LEOs have a bad reputation. They make it hard for the ones who are there to protect and serve.
I wonder, was she from west valley city. They seem to have a problem with that lately.

roverrocks

I agree totally with the video and the comments made by this individual. Between drones, NSA spying, cameras on every corner and bullies in SS style uniforms and the rapid militarization of all Fed, State, and Local police agencies the Land of the Free is ending IMO.

sixstringsteve

I think it's time for this video again:

[video=youtube;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

I have had a really positive experience with the LEOs in Lehi, I really like them. But I don't agree with what officer #1 did, whether or not he was smoking.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
If he had walked away from the cops he would have been tackled or tased, even if it was completely legal for him to do so.

R

rockdog

You get what you give. He starts with an attitude and then is pissed with the treatment he gets. He is obviously trying to goad them to get a reaction. Am I a cop? (No) I have family that is. Do I think many officers have an attitude? You bet!! I told my nephew when he quit being an electrician to become an leo, that it would change him. I watched his older brother turn into a total jerk. Some officers handle the pressure and the power they have over others well and some get unbelievably badge heavy. I've had run ins with the law. I have found that if you start the interaction calm, usually the situation stays calm. Not always! You need to put yourself in their situation. Most interactions they have all day every day are negative. Not easy to keep smiling under those conditions.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Or could he have just said "No, I don't smoke, I'm waiting for someone to show up" in the first 2 seconds and made this whole thing a non-issue? :confused:

Side note--I'm gathering it's against UTA policy to smoke on any of their properties? I didn't know that. (haven't paid attention, since I rarely take any UTA anything, and don't smoke anyway)

He could have handled his words differently, but that's a non issue. He can say those things without persecution. At least I thought we could in Amerika?