Another safety thread ... (bumper related)

DewYota

So I went in today to my buddies work and his inspection guy was hesitant about my bumper. he said that it had to be 4" thick and that had to be the whole width of the vehicle, i accepted the infromation and came home and looked up the law my self. it states right off the states website: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012 SI PLT Manual.pdf

BUMPERS
1. Check bumpers to make sure that they meet OEM Specifications in vertical
height, and are centered on the vehicle's centerline. Bumpers must be
connected securely to the vehicle frame, and extend the entire width of the
vehicle wheel track.
a. REJECT when:
1) Bumpers are not 4.5 inches in vertical height.
2) Bumpers do not extend to the entire width of original body
wheel track.
3) Bumpers are missing, improperly attached, broken, or have
portions protruding which create a hazard.
4) Bumpers are not made from a material that is strong enough
to effectively transfer impact.

I was just curious what the form members have to say about this concerning my vehicle specifically. does the 4.5" rule apply to the whole width of the vehicle?

Thanks Lee

Attachments

• Blackandwhite.jpg
    Blackandwhite.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 30

ricsrx

i was rejected for my bumper,not 4.5 for the full width.. i welded the squar tube to the back of my stock bumper and slid it into the reciver i built in my front bumber, they passed if for mounting because how ridged to my offroad bumper was and how the stock bumper mounted to it

Attachments

• bumper 040.jpg
    bumper 040.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

DewYota

Thanks guys! HOPEFULLY it doesnt look like dog shiz when im done... maybe ill just make the double tube style like the old pickups had... hmm

wagonmaster

ONE TON 'O WAGON
The people i know don't like to pass things like bumpers when they are wrong because they are an easy spot for someone looking at a glance. If you want to build something in the 'grey area' as far as si goes i would choose something not easily spotted at a brief glance. No one wants to loose their money making livelyhood over something easily spotted.

DewYota

I know plenty of the "right" people but i wouldnt want them to get a $5,000 fine just so i can have my illegal bumper. I would rather be on the laws side, and i will be after i get it fixed. I was just seeking input to explain what the law really was. I try to respect the laws to the best of my ability, and stay on the cops good sides so they dont have a reason to hate. And try and use it against us as a community one day. Cause you know half those guys want the off road industry shut down.

Just make your rigs street legal guys. thats all i gotta say.

krany

kranberry
oh yea most things are done legal, i wasnt talking about just bumpers, i have a factory bumper. like fenders, i told the guy that passed my jeep that they were gonna go back on tomorrow( i was painting them) and he passed me. i am not saying to go out and break the laws or get a shop closed.
. Cause you know half those guys want the off road industry shut down.
how do you figure?

DewYota

Well saying you just have to find the right people is pretty much saying just break the law its okay. Fender flares and bumpers are completely different discussions, and most people know that law, but not must know the bumper law.

maybe not 50% of the cops want it shut down, i dont know the percentages, sorry. but there are probably more people (not cops) against the industry than there are for it. Again not fact dont quote it...

thenag

When I moved up here 6 years ago I went through that book with a fine tooth comb so to speak. Law says 4.5 inches full width.

My bronco had 4 inch front bumper and was never questioned.

On the rear it was 4 inches in the middle and tapered down to 2 inch at the edge and was never questioned.

4.5 inches sucks since steel is not commonly sold in 4.5 inches.

I figured that if I ever had an issue with the bumpers I would add some kind of plastic molding.

On my bronco there was about 5 things that were in that "grey area" on safety. I never got pulled over and never had issues passing safety. (had more issues with 460 under the hood and emissions)

One of the big ones is that fender flares are supposed to cover the wheel from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock. This one is constantly violated. Most inspectors and officers won't care so long as you have made an effort to cover the tire. Mud flaps are a huge thing too. I had on the ugliest mud flaps I could find just to throw a finger at the law. (That was with the big ugly bronco, not sure what we will do on the xj...)

realistically I believe that an inspector or officer could fail just about any vehicle on the road at any time, there are so many things they can check it is un-likely that most vehicles won't have at least one "violation"

You can download the inspection manual for free from the internet. I recommend you do and go through it. I once had an inspector say he was going to fail me for my ABS light being on, I pointed out to him that he could not fail me for that and he didn't.

If you have to play by the rules, know the rules. (life lesson for ya!)

Also don't take it out on the inspectors, they are just doing their job. If you encounter an inspector that is out of line, go to another place. And as any business transaction if you go in with a chip on your shoulder chances are they will be less willing to help you out. Understand that they can be fined and in some cases held liable for passing something that shouldn't pass. I have never encountered an unreasonable inspector.

Nathan, (who just had to put a new brake wheel cylinder on a jeep's axle that is going to be torn out in a month or so so I could re-register it, thanks to an inspection)

Thanks ric,

So it is definitely a law that it has to be 4.5" in vertical height the whole width of the vehicle?

Chevycrew

Here is the code: 41-6a-1632 as referenced in section 10 Body, subpart B Bumpers in the PLT Safety Insepection Manual Effective Jan 1, 2009.

41-6a-1632. Bumpers.
(1) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a bumper on both front and rear of the motor vehicle, except a motor vehicle that was not originally designed or manufactured with a bumper or bumpers.
(2) (a) On a motor vehicle required to have bumpers under Subsection (1), a bumper shall be:
(i) at least 4.5 inches in vertical height;
(ii) centered on the vehicle's center line; and
(iii) extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distance.
(b) A bumper shall be securely mounted, horizontal load bearing, and attached to the motor vehicle's frame to effectively transfer impact when engaged.
(3) If a motor vehicle is originally or later equipped with a bumper, the bumper shall:
(a) be maintained in operational condition; and
(b) comply with this section.

I do not see anything about the bumper needing to be a solid 4.5" tall, or being the 4.5" tall the full width of the original wheel track width.

I got nailed a couple years ago with the crew cab, 7 different equipment violations during a 1 hour side of the highway inspection by UHP. My tube front bumper was never questioned.

I would like to see, in writing, where it is stated that the 4.5" must be continuous, and that the 4.5" is needed the full width.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
My question is how do yj, tj, and cj's pass with a aftermarket bumper front or rear? they dont cover all of the body width.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
I do have a yj with bumpers that are no way close to covering the width of the body, never have had anyone question it doing inspections for the 13 years of owning it.

Will3161

I have never seen such stringent laws as Utah; its got to be about the money, since other states don't have these blanket safety laws and inspections...that said, it seems to be very subjective as to what is or is not illegal, and by extension, what is and isn't safe. I think it really is all about the inspector or cop, and how much they want to get into it.