any 30 mpg SUVs out there that aren't hybrid POS's??

pELYgroso

'Merica
wifey and I are thinking about this a bit....what do y'all have? we have a Corolla right now but it would be nice to have something with 4wd or awd for the winters, plus the extra storage, etc. anything come to mind? could be high 20mpg's too....

4 cyl is ok (I doubt there are any 6cyl 30 mpg SUVs out there)

Bucking Bronco

THe new AWD Mini Countryman. (If that counts as an SUV)

I want one
5acb5187.jpg

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
The Toyota Rav4 might be as close as you can get. We rented a KIA Sorrento this weekend and burning around Vegas it pulled 18mph. It was the FWD model.

My families 07 Toyota Highlander gets 22 with AWD and the V6 in loaded Limited trim.

pELYgroso

'Merica
thanks for the input guys!

Wouldn't it be nice if VW came out with some little SUV with the TDI motor?? mmmm....

our price range would be in the $9k and below bracket, so newer stuff may be out of the question.

I don't really want a hybrid...I'd like to be able to work on it if need be

the Rav4 came to mind and we do like the highlander....you can get the 4 cyl, right??

any more suggestions?

chans

The VW TDI touareg? Should get around 30mpg on hwy. Out of your price range but the Q7 TDI Audi would also be sweet.

Last edited:

Bucking Bronco

thanks for the input guys!

Wouldn't it be nice if VW came out with some little SUV with the TDI motor?? mmmm....

our price range would be in the $9k and below bracket, so newer stuff may be out of the question.

Out of this price range but I believe the VW Tiguan is going to have a TDI version in 2012

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We got 29 mpg in the subaru outback we had. All highway miles though. We rented a Ford Edge a while back, it gave a solid 26 mpg and had some great power. We really liked the Edge.

sixstringsteve

my 4-door geo trackers cost less than $2500, had dual airbags and got 25-29 mpg. My 2-door 5 speed got 32-33 mpg.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Just get a Dodge Cummins. From what "some" say, they all get 30 mpg while towing a 747. :cody:

Subaru sounds like a good option. My daughter drives the little Ford/Mazda thing. It's kinda been a POS. Then again, I don't care much for Ford cars.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
My Mom has some Mercury hybrid SUV and she gets in the 30's with it. Forget the model though. Mariner, maybe?

- DAA

X2

We've had great luck with ford escape and mercury mariner hybrids. Never see them in for anything more than routine maintenance. Most owners are reporting high 20s-low 30s combined driving and they aren't as overpriced as the toyota hybrids.

Having said that, we had a 2011 prius hybrid for a month. Jenn loved it and I absolutely hated it. It did go over two weeks worth of driving on seven gallons of gas, but was completely void of any enjoyment in the process.

We were going to grab a touareg diesel for a recent trip but they are insanely expensive and dont seem to get that great of mileage.

Interestingly we took a 2007 range rover HSE to texas and back and loved it (and it didn't even break down). Wow that thing was super-comfortable and got reasonably good mileage for something that weighed almost 5k. Point being, if a range rover can get 20 mpg doing 80mph, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a mid-sized SUV that will suit your needs.

2011-08-10131321.jpg

stimmie

A little tweaking and I bet my 89 Bronco II could get 30 on the hwy. I've got it about 25 hwy now.. Best fishing/hunting rig yet... solid 17 MPG when cruising all over the Uintas... And with a stock 23 gal tank... that's lots of weekend trips up in the hills! :)

pELYgroso

'Merica
Last time I filled up I was at 29.2mpg.... I'm determined to hit 30 one of these days lol! I'll bet a 5 speed CRV with 4wd (mine is auto/Awd) would do it easily :D

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=85748

I read your thread and was wondering about that....It looks like a nice little get-around rig! Will it do 80 on the freeway?

The Bronco II isn't a bad choice, either. I've always liked the rear side windows that curve at the top! The only problem for me is the 2 doors....I'd need 4. Car seats and 2 doors don't mix well!