Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

It's a budget build. I easily could have spent another $2-5k on it, but I wanted to keep it economical without sacrificing too much performance.

Details:

Frame: Cotic Soul (Reynolds 853 cromo)
Fork: x-fusion velvet 140mm, tapered steerer
Headset: Hope
Wheels: Stan's NoTubes Arch EX with stan's 3.30 hubs, drilled for schrader valves
Stem: Gravity 60mm stem (leftover from a previous build)
Bars: Kore Torsion 740mm (leftover from a previous build)
Chainring: Raceface wide/narrow 30t
Shifter: Shimano zee (1x10)
Cranks: Shimano SLX (leftover from a previous build)
Saddle: Specialized Phenom Expert
Front Derailleur: None
Rear Derailleur: SLX Clutch rear derailleur
Brakes: Shimano Deore discs. 180mm front, 160mm rear
Pedals: leftover cheap spd clipless pedals

Soon to come:
- dropper post (I still need to make some measurements to determine which one I want to order)
- easton haven carbon bars
- 50mm stem
- xt front shifter (I don't like the paddle placement of the zee shifter)
- different tires. I love the XR4 on front, and the SB8 on the rear is really quick, but I like a bit more bike when cornering.
- possibly convert to tubeless? I've got 949 racing schrader valves, tubless wheels, and stan's sealant, but I'm not quite ready to commit to going tubeless.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

My build is done for now ('till I get a dropper post and convert to tubeless). I can't wait to take it out in the dirt tonight. Anyone who wants a mellow, mainly flowy downhill run is welcome to join us tonight. By "downhill" I mean not uphill. We'll be riding from the top of suncrest to Potato Hill via Anne's. We'll shuttle it a couple times. VERY little climbing.

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

1x10. It should be perfect. It has a 30t chainring.

My other bike has a 32t chainring and I've been running it as a 1x10 for almost a year. It's a grind every now and then on the super steep hill, but it's doable. I can already feel the difference between the 30t and 32t chainring.

I love the simplicity of a 1x10. The only time I can see myself having a front derailleur is if I get a fatbike.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

sorry I missed your post wayne, we were already heading up the trail. We're riding AF Canyon tomorrow. Shuttle ride. Parking at the summit, riding 157 to 040, then down. A fair amount of climbing, a long ride, but it should be a blast coming down 040.

I just about got run over by a dirt biker last night who was FLYING. I heard him coming so I picked up my bike and moved it off the trail, but he still almost hit me. He had to have been doing at least 30 mph on the uphill. We had a younger kid riding with us and I'm so glad he was in front of me, or he probably would have been run over. I've ridden up there quite a bit on a moto, but I've never gone that fast for fear of suddenly coming up on biker, hiker, or equestrian.

I've been up there far more on a moto than a mtb, but I never realized just how annoying it is to have to stop climbing, pick up my bike, go stand in the bushes so the motos can ride by. It's pretty frustrating.

Last edited:

MattL

Steve, I've ran a 1x9 for years. The problem I have had is keeping a chain on the front.What are you using for that? On the outside I have a bash guard and inside I am running a n-gear stop. I seen a sweet machined product i think that was made by paul industries but the seat tube was not the same as I had otherwise i would have picked it up.
I

sixstringsteve

Two things: clutch-type derailleur and a wide+narrow chainring.

1) clutch-type rear derailleur. The Shadow Plus is what you're looking for. It's got a little lever (the grey thing on the picture) to engage the clutch. It keeps the chain tight all the time. Link.

clutchs.jpg

2) Raceface (or other brand) wide-narrow chainring. These are awesome. I run them on both my 1x10s. I get them cheap on amazon.Link.

narrow wide.jpg

I would go with those two modifications. If you're still dropping chains (unlikely), I'd add one of these two chain guide options:

3) before I knew how effective options 1 and 2 were, I also invested in a chain guide just in case. I don't think it's necessary, but i didn't know that when I bought it. This is the one I got.

4) for people who are STILL dropping chains, I'd go with one of these. If that doesn't solve it, I don't know what else will work short of the roller wheels and thick outer ring.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

[video=youtube;jOlVJv7jAHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOlVJv7jAHg[/video]

I will say, the geometry of the 29er didn't have much to do with this video. It's essentially a wall ride.

Last edited:

UFAB

Race went well yesterday at Sundance. To bad i took the wrong turn. I sucked it up and finished like a good sport.

Anyhow, next wednesday race is out in heber by the Notch bar and grille.

We are going to get some chow at the notch after race. Around 8. If they are open. Lol

Anyone want to ride canyons. Take lift up kinda dealio

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2