Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Very cool, congrats! post up some pics when you've got them.

I wish I had time to ride this weekend, but I'm swamped. Next weekend for sure though.

sixstringsteve

When I raced BMX I was using a knee/shin combo, fullface, and my TLD soft upper body suit. For mountain biking, it's just a helmet and gloves. I see a lot of riders wearing the 661 soft knee pads, and I think I may eventually go that route, but I usually end up crashing more when I'm wearing lots of gear. The wrong protective gear can hinder me enough to not ride well and lead to more crashes.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Here she is:

EC165851-DA1B-446B-861D-D6368F61B556_zpsbywfsuby.jpg30338057-CD9B-4CA8-8ABC-2E9E13AB28CD_zpsz6guys8l.jpg

Took a maiden voyage this morning and found this sweet bike park up above my house. A bunch of wooden obstacles and dirt jumps/whoops.

FA763CD8-D57C-43D6-B8AC-A0EEE8845AEF_zpswcchonhu.jpgAE4ACFCE-3BB2-4860-AE71-4EA82AA56B37_zpsl91cbhco.jpgAE53021F-571C-4F42-8548-A3F580059D31_zps49ptyp8h.jpg

sixstringsteve

Great bike! Looking at the specs, it has some fantastic geometry and some really great components, especially for the price. Your wife couldn't have done better.

I like riding there; you're lucky to live so close.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Some coworkers just got back from riding the white rim trail. It never sounded fun to me until I saw their trip photos. Now I want to go. I think it's about 110 miles of dirt. They did about 30-35 miles a day. That sounds like a lot, but when you stretch it out across 12 hours, that's only 3 miles an hour, which is barely faster than hiking.

We'd probably need a support vehicle, so those who didn't want to bike could ride along in the truck. Who would be interested in something like that?

I've started a thread here to discuss it if anyone's interested: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...white-rim-trail-in-3-days&p=987090#post987090

Jesser04

When I raced BMX I was using a knee/shin combo, fullface, and my TLD soft upper body suit. For mountain biking, it's just a helmet and gloves. I see a lot of riders wearing the 661 soft knee pads, and I think I may eventually go that route, but I usually end up crashing more when I'm wearing lots of gear. The wrong protective gear can hinder me enough to not ride well and lead to more crashes.
Thanks I'll look into those.

sixstringsteve

I hope everyone in this thread watches life behind bars. It's such a great show.

[video=youtube;WTyEEgDz3ao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTyEEgDz3ao[/video]

Caleb

Ok, opinions on the quality of a couple bikes. I was -><- that close to buying a Kona Taro this weekend while down in St. George. All the reviews I've found are raving about it. Went to go get it and the shop had closed (closed at 7, showed up about 7:05). So while looking around today up in Salt Lake, I came across a Trek Stache 6. About the same price as the Taro (actually $100 less, $1400 vs. $1300) and it felt good while riding it around the parking lot. Is it worth while or is the Taro a better bike. I used to understand the different levels of components, but now it's all Greek to me. One thing that kinda scares me about the Taro is the 1x9 gears. Not sure it's a big deal mountain biking to not have the three rings up front???

I also test rode a Kona Hei Hei, I may just not be used to the full suspension, but it felt super squirrely under me. The hard tails felt way better.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Both of those are aluminum. I would personally stay away from aluminum hardtails, they have a much harsher ride than steel. The kona honzo or explosif would be my choice.

Caleb

Both of those are aluminum. I would personally stay away from aluminum hardtails, they have a much harsher ride than steel. The kona honzo or explosif would be my choice.

I understand that...from what most say is you can't tell a huge difference. The Honzo would be cool, but $2k (Honzo) vs $1.4k (Taro) doesn't justify a chromoly frame to me. That's why I'm asking about the components. I'm sure the components on the Honzo are worth the extra money, but am I going to notice a difference starting out on one vs. the others (a $600 difference)?

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Here's the thing with Aluminum, yes it is a harsher ride, and yes you can tell a difference. Given that, my hard tail is aluminum I just ride it a bit different. I spend a lot of time out of the saddle on the downhills and let my legs absorb the shock, instead of my spine. I ride a Jamis Komodo frame that I bought and built up about 6 years ago and just upgrade components when they wear out. I used to ride a full suspension GT iDrive, and before that a GT LTS3. I went back to a hard tail because of how easy it is to throw around. I've finally lost enough weight that I'm back on the bike and loving it. I missed it a lot.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Caleb, I doubt you'll notice a difference in components between the taro and the honzo.

I can tell a huge difference between steel and aluminum hardtails, but you actually pay more for a good steel frame.

I think I'm so ademate about steel is because so many people say how much they hate hardtails, but they've never ridden a good steel or ti hardtail. To me, it's an entirely different experience from aluminum. They're both super fun, but once I switched to steel, it was night and day for me. Even a noob will be able to feel a noticeable difference.

That being said, you can have a ton of fun on an aluminum hardtail. If you don't feel beat up at the end, and your calves can take the vibration from the rear triangle, go for it! Personally, I'd hold out for a slightly used honzo or explosif or otherwise great steel hardtail. Also, some steel hardtails are more forgiving than others, not all steel is created equal.

sixstringsteve

I run a 1x10 setup on both of my bikes, and I love it, but it's not for everyone. With a 1x setup, you don't have a super low granny gear for those long gruelling climbs. I run a 30t up front on one and a 32t on the other bike. I much prefer climbing with the 30t. I don't have any plans to go back to a 3x10 setup.

FWIW, a 1x9, 1x10, or 1x11 is all the same for me. I actually prefer the 1x9 because it uses a beefier chain. The lowest and highest gears are the same ratio on all of them.