Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Caleb

Saw that, unfortunately it's too small for me.

Caleb, I doubt you'll notice a difference in components between the taro and the honzo.

I can tell a huge difference between steel and aluminum hardtails, but you actually pay more for a good steel frame.

I think I'm so ademate about steel is because so many people say how much they hate hardtails, but they've never ridden a good steel or ti hardtail. To me, it's an entirely different experience from aluminum. They're both super fun, but once I switched to steel, it was night and day for me. Even a noob will be able to feel a noticeable difference.

That being said, you can have a ton of fun on an aluminum hardtail. If you don't feel beat up at the end, and your calves can take the vibration from the rear triangle, go for it! Personally, I'd hold out for a slightly used honzo or explosif or otherwise great steel hardtail. Also, some steel hardtails are more forgiving than others, not all steel is created equal.

Is it worth the extra $600? I have no problem paying the $2k for the steel bike if the package deal is worth the extra money. I don't think the frame alone is worth an extra $600 to me.

I run a 1x10 setup on both of my bikes, and I love it, but it's not for everyone. With a 1x setup, you don't have a super low granny gear for those long gruelling climbs. I run a 30t up front on one and a 32t on the other bike. I much prefer climbing with the 30t. I don't have any plans to go back to a 3x10 setup.

FWIW, a 1x9, 1x10, or 1x11 is all the same for me. I actually prefer the 1x9 because it uses a beefier chain. The lowest and highest gears are the same ratio on all of them.

Good to know. I've heard/read that it definitely can be tougher, but most guys say they love their 1x9-10 setups. Good to know about the top and bottom ratios actually being the same.

sixstringsteve

Saw that, unfortunately it's too small for me.

Bummer. I would have thought a medium was perfect for you. How tall are you? What's your inseam?

Is it worth the extra $600? I have no problem paying the $2k for the steel bike if the package deal is worth the extra money. I don't think the frame alone is worth an extra $600 to me.

You're spot on the money with your analysis. To me, it'd be worth it, but I put a premium on the frame. The component specs are pretty close. The honzo has a better fork, but the Taro's fork is no slouch either. The components are probably only $100-200 better on the Honzo. So, like you said, probably not worth the $600 premium.

Check the pinkbike classifieds. They have a great classifieds section and people sell their bikes after 2 months of ownership over there. Honzos are tough to find though because people love them so much.

I think a taro would be a great bike if you're getting back into it and likely to replace it in 2 years or so. Who knows, you may absolutely love it and keep it forever. The geometry is awesome on those bikes.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm riding AF Canyon on thursday night if anyone wants to join. Starting at the summit, ending up at tibble. Lots of climbing with even more descending. it'll be an epic ride.

Caleb

Well, the search for a bike is over...for now. I stopped in to Sports Den and rode some more Konas, was almost sold on the Hei Hei or the Precept DL (both full suspension bikes). Then on my way home decided to stop in to Canyon Bicycles and test rode a last year model Superfly (full carbon frame, Reba fork, XT components, hard tail, etc) and fell in love. It felt great. So, I ended up picking that up. Little more than I originally intended to spend, but I think it'll be a great bike I can start riding again on, grow in to, and then I'll know in a year or so if I want to supplement this bike with a full suspension bike or not.

Now I would like to get some clipless shoes/pedals. Any recommendations? I like the simplicity of the Candy 3 pedals, so unless someone convinces me otherwise, I think those will be the pedals. Shoes...I have no clue.

sixstringsteve

the superfly is a fantastic bike, and Canyon cycles is a fantastic shop. I have a friend with that bike and she loves it. Carbon, if built right, will be just as forgiving as steel. If built wrong, it'll beat you up more than aluminum. You did really well. Now you need to join us on Thursday. :)

Have you had clipless pedals before?

sixstringsteve

Pedals are really personal and everyone thinks the ones they ride are the best.

That same friend with the superfly tried the candy 3's and didn't like them. She does, however, like eggbeaters. The awesome thing about eggbeaters is how well they shed mud. I could be wrong, but I believe with crankbrothers you only have two adjustments, which requires you to swap the cleat on your shoe, which is a pain.

I like shimano SPD because of how adjustable they are and how loose you can set them. I just use the cheap $30 shimano pedals and I love 'em. In mud they suck, but I only find mud on my shoes about once a year. The shimanos just have a little allen wrench that adjusts the tension.

as far as shoes go, I'd pick ones that fit you well, and you'll want a fairly stiff sole. Soft soles feel great for walking around in, but you can feel the pressure on the ball of your foot when you're pedaling. A stiff sole will spread that pressues over the entire foot, but make it more difficult to walk. Since you'll be mountain biking in the mountains, I recommend something with a bit of tread to it so you can walk around. You don't want road racing slick shoes.

193kyle

Just got home from a great ride up AF Canyon, did 10 miles in just under 2 hours. Slow going but lots of climbing with some really fun downhill sections. Very few people on the trails too.

Caleb

Thanks Steve. I have had clip less pedals, but again, it was probably at least 10 years ago. I remember having a few good falls as a result of them while I was getting used to them. :D In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, I had Shimano SPDs back then. I like the eggbeaters too, so maybe those would be a better choice. I figured the "cage" around the Candy would make then a better mountain pedal, and make it easier to find the clip to get in. I know that just takes time to get the feel of your pedals, whatever they are. I'll look at the SPDs as well.

I'd love to join in but 1) I'm extremely out of shape, so I need to work on that a bit before doing anything even remotely challenging with a group and 2) My boy has soccer practice thursday night so I'll be there. I'm about 5 minutes from Yellow Fork/Rose Canyon so I'll hit that area up a bit for some after work rides while I work on my fitness :D

Caleb

Anyone heard about the trail system they're building in Herriman? I was told from the guy at the bike shop Herriman City is building some new trail system that's supposed to be ready to ride this summer.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
All of the guys I have ridden with that run Crank Bros like them but say they are very high maint and not very durable. They get 1 to 2 years before rebuilding the bearings in them. They all say SPD are more reliable but they like the mud shedding of the CBs. I am running SPD M530's which are a copy of XT's but really inexpensive. They have a pretty large cage around the clip for better support. I like them.

sixstringsteve

Caleb, I've got a pair of DX shimano clipless with the platforms. One red pair and one silver pair. You're welcome to one set if you want, you'll just need some cleats.

MattL

Crank Brothers are good. I loved the egg beaters and had several versions of them. I kept breaking them so i had a friend with some candys and they have been on since. They are heavier but the platform is larger.
Caleb, i have heard good things about that bike. I think there was some issues in the first gen on frame quality but everyone loved how it rode. Congrats on getting a rippin bike.

sixstringsteve

I've tried the platform clipless pedals and I can't get along with them. I seem to be the only person on the planet that doesn't love them. I must be doing something wrong. I think they're tougher to clip in to, and I think they suck to ride without clipless shoes. Supposedly it's easier to pedal if you don't get clipped in right away, but I've never really had that problem. If I were racing downhill, I can definitely see how one missed clip could cost a race or cause a crash. Do you guys find you're using the platform at all? How does it help more than just stepping on an SPD without fully clipping in?

I like having a large platform with some spikes for when I am tooling around in hiking boots/shoes and then having adjustable spd cleats that I can adjust to release easily when I am wearing biking shoes. My favorites are Wellgo WAMD10 pedals. The only downsides are they are a little bit heavy and they are one-sided, so I need to look down and sometimes spin them before stepping in.