Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

last night my wife was up watching a movie on her phone. I turned over to see what it was, and it was a "MTB skills video." I couldn't have been happier. :)

We're getting so excited for our Kokopelli trip. We've got LOTs of room for others to join us if they want. Details here:
http://www.themoreweexplore.com/upcoming-trips.html

I've been riding the Murdock Canal paved trail lately, but I"m jonesing for some dirt. Anyone up for a Moab trip in a couple weeks? Maybe before EJS to ride Mag 7 and some other fun trails. I'm thinking either the 11th or 18th. Who's in?

How about a St. George trip in April?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

On Friday we went fat biking at Grand Targhee. It was a super fun day.

[video=youtube;Hhd2b8QUC8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhd2b8QUC8A[/video]

sixstringsteve

A few of us are headed to moab Friday night to ride mag 7 on Saturday. Open invite for anyone who wants to joinnus. We even have a few open seats in the van.

sixstringsteve

Rode mag 7 this past weekend. The first half was amazing. The second half sucked. It dumps you out on Gold Bar rim, at just about the lowest part of the trail. So you have a ton of climbing to do, from that huge ledge on Gold Bar Rim, climbing that slickrock where it gets really hot, to the golden staircase, to double whammy, to the crack, and then up to the edge of the rim. That was a killer. We walked a lot of it. It wasn't fun. Then we hopped on the orange singletrack trail up on top of the rim, and that was pretty close to the edge in a few places and extremely technical. By then we were beat, so the technical wasn't fun. We ended up walking about 4 of the 23 miles on that trail. Maybe I"m a big baby, but I didn't enjoy the second half.

The first half, on the other hand (bull run, great escape, etc) was awesome. Those are some of my favorite trails in Moab.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Hey guys, school me on press-fit bottom brackets. I just pulled a Shimano SM-BB91-41 off the bike because one of the bearings is frozen. I'm thinking upgrade, I like the sound of ceramic bearings, worth it? Any brands to avoid? What numbers do I need to worry about for fitment, just width/interior diameter/exterior diameter, right?

sixstringsteve

Isn't that a road bike BB? Is this on a road bike or MTB?

I'm not a fan of press-fit BBs at all, I have no clue why bikes are being made with them again. If you take your old one in to the shop, they'll be able to get you a new one to match it.

You'll need to know:

BB shell width
BB ID

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Isn't that a road bike BB? Is this on a road bike or MTB?

I'm not a fan of press-fit BBs at all, I have no clue why bikes are being made with them again. If you take your old one in to the shop, they'll be able to get you a new one to match it.

You'll need to know:

BB shell width
BB ID

Apparently they use that BB on road bikes and mountain bikes. There's a 41a and 41b and I'm not sure which is which. I don't wanna, but I might have to hit the LBS.

I'm jonesing to ride though. It's almost warm enough to ride into work at night.

sixstringsteve

If anyone wants to ride down south, hit me up!

We're thinking of heading down on the 22nd or 29th to ride Gooseberry and maybe Thunder Mountain. We'll keep you posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Our big Kokopelli trip is almost a month away. We've got plenty of open spots if anyone wants to join us. We have about 4 riders at the moment. We'd love to get it up to 7 or 8, it's always more fun with more people.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I rode bearclaw poppy to stucki springs and snakepit trail, then down bearclaw today. I had previously ridden bearclaw and that it was kind of boring and not very scenic, but stucki and snakepit made it awesome! About 10 miles total today.

We're thinking of heading down on the 22nd or 29th to ride Gooseberry and maybe Thunder Mountain. We'll keep you posted.

:cool: I'd probably join for a Gooseberry ride. I haven't been out there yet. Thunder Mountain looks awesome, but I'd probably pass on that one due to travel time.

sixstringsteve

Best trip of 2015: The White Rim Trail, featuring a few RMEers: @Kevin B, jentschman, Fat Tony, and Cobranut.

[video=youtube;FGmRsThiOTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGmRsThiOTg[/video]

I'm super pumped for my Kokopelli trip in a month. There's still room for more people if anyone wants to join us for that trip.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

I rode bearclaw poppy to stucki springs and snakepit trail, then down bearclaw today. I had previously ridden bearclaw and that it was kind of boring and not very scenic, but stucki and snakepit made it awesome! About 10 miles total today.

:cool: I'd probably join for a Gooseberry ride. I haven't been out there yet. Thunder Mountain looks awesome, but I'd probably pass on that one due to travel time.

I haven't ridden a lot of places yet, but Gooseberry is easily my favorite so far.

sixstringsteve

I'll be riding Lambert tonight. I'd love some company if anyone's looking for something to do. I'll probably start around 5:30 or 6.