Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

sixstringsteve

Can anyone tell which trail this is? I'm pretty sure it's in draper. I remember watching Cody Kelley destroy it on BMX two years ago. His riding is on an entirely different level than the rest of us mortals. I'm not the least bit surprised he took 1st in the dual slalom at sea otter this year.

[video]http://www.vitalmtb.com/v/16345[/video]

Last edited:

ozzy702

Can anyone tell which trail this is? I'm pretty sure it's in draper. I remember watching Cody Kelley destroy it on BMX two years ago. His riding is on an entirely different level than the rest of us mortals. I'm not the least bit surprised he took 1st in the dual slalom at sea otter this year.

[video]http://www.vitalmtb.com/v/16345[/video]

That was mostly Rush but also a little ghost falls.

ozzy702

Rode in Draper again today and although I had a little trouble with the pedals felt more at home on the bike. I think I need to adjust the cleats a bit since I keep having issues finding them on the trail, especially with my left foot. My buddy Ryan's new Mason is SICK! I threw it together today for him and I was impressed. About the only think I don't like is the sram shifters because shifting to a lower gear takes too much throw for my short thumb but other than that the bike is pretty fun.

sixstringsteve

I'll be upgrading my bike in the next few months. Anyone looking for a fun bike? I'll be selling my GT distortion size med.

I was riding a lot again. Then my bike got stolen off my second floor patio. F'in jerks.... Definitely will be getting the replacement here in the next few weeks though.

sixstringsteve

man, that really sucks. Do you have renters insurance?

For those looking for a new bike, check out the bible of bike series that bike mag did. They do an awesome job on their reviews and they're super helpful.

[video=youtube;3j5UUiZbEds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5UUiZbEds&list=PLEg7lC4yx0cELGs32lXD5EpPaquw2AAdw&index=1[/video]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think my next bike will be a yeti sb6c or possibly a TY industries capra (assuming I can get one imported). The capra is a stupid good deal. Or if I can find the right SB66c I'll go with one of those.

Last edited:
Yeah I have renters insurance. I am working with them about it. Also making sure the pricing doesn't go through the roof if I file a claim. I was looking at a couple Cannondales at REI the other day. That's actually why I am waiting on picking one up. I think they do the semi-annual 20% off sale soonish so will probably wait till then to pick one up. I don't do any crazy on the trails so figure your average Rush should fit my needs.

Samersen

If you are looking at REI, you should look at backcountry.com in their outlet store. Currently they have a promo where everything in the outlet store is 50%. Just a thought :) So you could get a $4000 bike for like $1200, just a thought.

ozzy702

I took my wife mountain biking and she had a rough time. I should have thought about it beforehand but she's only ridden a bike a half dozen times in the past five years and didn't know how to ride a bike before I met her! She may have fallen off the trail and tumbled into the trees on potato hill right before it meets up with ann's trail. In hindsight I should have picked something easier for her first mountain biking experience.

She has requested that I find a trail that is "not next to a cliff and is no more rocky than what we did." I think the cliff is the key point. She seemed to do really well on all the sections without any exposure and she loved the challenge of biking up hill.

Any recommendations on easy trails that aren't scary to take her tomorrow afternoon?

sixstringsteve

Any recommendations on easy trails that aren't scary to take her tomorrow afternoon?

I don't know about your wife, but my wife has never really ridden a bike over a mile. She rode around as a kid, but she doesn't have a good grasp on coasting with her pedals level, or how and when to shift, or how to properly brake or lean, or how to read a trail. I made the mistake of taking her on a trail that was above her level and she crashed and got hurt. Now she has a big mental block to learning to mountain bike. I realized I need to start super slow... baby steps...

What about a super simple paved trail like jordan river trail or mudock? It'll help her get used to the controls of the bike, and slowly ease into it. After that, find a super mellow two-track road or fire road.

I agree with samersen about Lambert being fun and not too technical. I do still feel it can be overwhelming for noobies. I took my wife there and she was still overwhelmed. Things I don't even notice really stood out and intimidated her.

Some of the littlest things can spook them (even though they're nothing for us). Aside from the loose gravel fire roads up there (not a good idea), everything is singletrack. Singletrack can be overwhelming for new riders. They're spending most of their time trying to stay in between the bushes on the trail, not hitting trees. They don't learn to look far ahead because they're worried about what's 2 feet in front of their tire. They don't learn to read the trail and just relax and ride.

Then there's the quick, tight turns in the trees (river, high bench, rodeo up, etc). Some of the turns are banked and that overwhelms a lot of brand new riders (rodeo, luge). They think they should stay upright through the berms and end up sliding down them. It's not super intuitive for them to learn into them. Some of the trails are super rocky and rough (middle, ruin, luge, brown dog). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love lambert, but it might be a better 4th or 5th time place.

I'd start with a quick ride on a paved bike trail like jordan river or murdock trail. Then transition to a flat, wide fire road. Then slowly add a fire road with some easy climbs and descents. Then slowly transition to some flat singletrack, then work your way up to lambert then corner canyon then af canyon then moab. :)

The bar m area of moab has easier stuff.

I've also heard there's an easy loop here for kids. it ties in to upper anne's. I've never ridden it, but it may be good for beginners.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//40.4861277,-111.8488785/@40.4859548,-111.8505618,849m/data=!3m1!1e3

ozzy702

She was golden as soon as we were away from the "cliff" and she felt more safe. The crazy thing is she did great (slow but confident and controlled) on the downhill from ghost falls to the bottom of rush and that was a million times more difficult and technical than any of the uphill.

We took the kids on the parkway last week before mnt biking and she did great. I think fire roads would be perfect for her right now.

Samersen

It's a little far from you but Round Valley in Park City (near the hospital) is a great place to start as well. It is mostly double track and well maintained.

sixstringsteve

I got to ride a friend's Yeti SB66c yesterday. Super fun bike. I have never climbed faster than on that bike. I'm not 100% sure I love everything about it, but I've never enjoyed the uphills so much. What a fun bike.