Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Samersen

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the Road in Millcreek. When I have ridden the crest we start at Guardsmen and then we go over and drop into Millcreek. There was some kind of construction taking place on the road i heard. So I am mostly wondering the route you took, and if it dropped you out close enough to your car where you were picked up on the shuttle.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58406744-78/road-canyon-creek-mill.html.csp

The shuttle we used picked up on 39th and Wasatch, that is why we went all the way to Millcreek. Did they move the shuttle pick up closer to Big Cottonwood?

sixstringsteve

Ah, that makes more sense. We didn't go near mill creek road.

We did our own shuttle with two vehicles. One dropped us off at the top of guardsman (not visible on the map), and the other picked us up at the bottom of Mill D (near the parking lot to donut falls).

We did the brown to the red to the green to the blue - last leg of Mill D (my favorite section.)

m-milldn.gif

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm still confused about what's closed on odd numbered days. is it the green segment of trail? It sounds like the blue, red, and brown sections are open all the time. We didn't see a soul on the green section (including hikers), but we saw a few hikers on the Mill D North Fork section.

Samersen

What I think is closed every other day is the Green and dashed blue. There is a point in the green, (I think the top middle of the map) where the green takes a 90 degree turn there is a sign that says "no bikes on odds days" at that point but, I am fairly certain that you can go straight and go to PC from there. I don't get the whole even and odd days I just figured I would get yelled at if I went on the wrong day so I don't. :)

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see that sign, but I wasn't looking for it, so it's my fault. This is my first time encountering even/odd days on a trail.

The green trail was decent, but the best parts were brown, red, and blue. I'd love to ride this again before the snow flies.

Samersen

Me too! I would love to get one more ride up there in. This week is suppose to be just beautiful!

That is my guesstimate at the location of the sign. Not sure if thats is it actually is.

Rock Taco

I'm still confused about what's closed on odd numbered days. is it the green segment of trail? It sounds like the blue, red, and brown sections are open all the time. We didn't see a soul on the green section (including hikers), but we saw a few hikers on the Mill D North Fork section.

I don't know what trails on your map are closed due to the odd numbered day closures but the reason behind them from my understanding is that in Mill Creek Canyon odd number days are for dogs off leash and even number days dogs must be on leash. It is one of the few canyons in SL county that you are allowed to even have dogs in.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Are you set on a 29er? There are quite a few trances used on KSL with a little better components for that price. If you are set on a 29er and buying new, I think that's a good way to go. You can upgrade components later after you break or wear out what you have.
I love my Giant Reign. The maestro suspension is great.

sixstringsteve

With a few exceptions, I'm not a huge fan of 29ers unless you're super tall, putting in some serious mileage, or riding rrally mellow terrain. That being said, $1300 for a new full suspension bike is a great price.

Giant has admitted that they'll be phasing out there 29ers over the next few years.

Now that everyone thinks 29ers and 26" wheels are uncool, there are some great deals on ksl on lightly used bikes.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I'm 6' 5-1/2" so even 29ers don't feel big lol, and the XL frame is on the small side (and they aren't very common). I tried a Trance first but it seemed really squishy and bobbed a lot and was noticeably less efficient pedaling than the anthem. Since I'm a noob I don't think I'll need more gnarly suspension and it seems like most of the riding up AF and Provo canyon Isn't super rocky either. Any thoughts?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Wow, 6'5! The good and bad of being that tall is xl bikes are less common but they are usually priced low because they are easier to find in last year's left over stock.
The bad thing about air spring rear shocks is that they are very dependant on pressure. This makes setting them correctly even for a test ride crucial. When I bought my Reign, I couldn't even pedal it. I'm heavy for my size and the shop had assumed I was at least 50 lbs lighter so the bike with that pressure was literally unrideable. The bob you felt on a trance was most likely because the shock wasn't at the correct pressure.
Your in the same boat most people are though. Not knowing how much bike you really "need" is hard to decide. I pedal my Reign all over AF and rarely wish it had less travel but that's a personal thing. I think like Steve said, you can't go wrong with a new Full suspension bike for that price.

I don't want to turn this into a for sale thread, but this reminds me that I've got a couple of XL bikes that I'm thinking of parting with. I'm not going to list for sale til spring, but if you know anyone who wants a well cared for XL Blur or Stumpjumper, pm me. The Blur is an 05 pretty much full XTR. The Stumpjumper is an 07 pro XT/SRAM X.0. Both very well cared for. I'd let either go for $1200 this time of year.

I'm 6'2" and about 150 lbs. I've been riding these XL FS bikes the last few years, but I'm pretty convinced I want to move down to a Large frame and maybe a 29er next year.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My wife has been riding for about a month now. We've been doing a ride or two a week at Lambert and she has done great. Today we rode corner canyon, anne's to rush and back down anne's since the weather got nasty. She did awesome. I am super excited and happy to have her riding with me. It's one of the funnest things we have ever done.
It has really changed biking for me and I'm super stoked to get her skills built to the point we can do some bigger and funner rides but even the small stuff is a blast to share with her. Anyway, enough gushing. Pic from today.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414900746466.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414900746466.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 15

sixstringsteve

I'm 6' 5-1/2" so even 29ers don't feel big lol, and the XL frame is on the small side (and they aren't very common).

For your size, I think a 29er could be great. I had forgotten how tall you are.

Wow, 6'5! The good and bad of being that tall is xl bikes are less common but they are usually priced low because they are easier to find in last year's left over stock.

x2

The bob you felt on a trance was most likely because the shock wasn't at the correct pressure.

x2

Not knowing how much bike you really "need" is hard to decide.

x2. This is especially true as your needs, wants, skills, etc change over time.

I don't think I'll need more gnarly suspension and it seems like most of the riding up AF and Provo canyon Isn't super rocky either. Any thoughts?

AF can be super smooth or insanely rocky depending on which trails you ride. Some of the trails are a blast on my hardtail and others are downright brutal. That being said, we all had plenty of fun riding 15 years ago before 6" travel and full suspension bikes were the norm (then again, we weren't paying 4 figures for our bikes...)

I would recommend a bike with 120-140mm of travel. Glockman is on to something; there is such a thing as too much travel. A lot of people think "I might as well get 6" of travel front and rear, then I can ride any type of trail." That's kind of like daily driving something on 37s just in case you ever go rockcrawling. It can work, but I'd pick the bike that matches 80% of what you'll be riding, not the fringes. I probably should have taken my own advice and purchased a bike with less travel...

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I don't want to turn this into a for sale thread, but this reminds me that I've got a couple of XL bikes that I'm thinking of parting with. I'm not going to list for sale til spring, but if you know anyone who wants a well cared for XL Blur or Stumpjumper, pm me. The Blur is an 05 pretty much full XTR. The Stumpjumper is an 07 pro XT/SRAM X.0. Both very well cared for. I'd let either go for $1200 this time of year.

I'm 6'2" and about 150 lbs. I've been riding these XL FS bikes the last few years, but I'm pretty convinced I want to move down to a Large frame and maybe a 29er next year.

both of those are great deals and should sell quick.

sixstringsteve

My wife has been riding for about a month now. We've been doing a ride or two a week at Lambert and she has done great. Today we rode corner canyon, anne's to rush and back down anne's since the weather got nasty. She did awesome. I am super excited and happy to have her riding with me. It's one of the funnest things we have ever done.
It has really changed biking for me and I'm super stoked to get her skills built to the point we can do some bigger and funner rides but even the small stuff is a blast to share with her. Anyway, enough gushing. Pic from today.

That is awesome! I recently got my wife hooked as well. We did a cool ride on a kid's loop in Corner canyon last week and she's loving it. She's no ready for rush yet, but we'll get there soon hopefully. With all this wet weather I'm not sure how much riding we'll get in before the snow starts flying.

Last edited: