Anyone ever done this or thought about it?

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
I ran CNG on my last truck and I have a few friends that currently run it. The price is 73 cents a gallon. Plus you can get a one time rebate from the state for converting. My buddy just got back $2500 for converting his 96 454 chev.

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
Then you get a rebate?

If that is what I understand. I wonder how much it would cost for 4.0 in my Jeep. Hmm I am sick of supporting foreign oil.

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
If that is what I understand. I wonder how much it would cost for 4.0 in my Jeep. Hmm I am sick of supporting foreign oil.

Yes then you get the rebate! The only down fall of the CNG is the tanks. The tanks are big I ran 3 tanks on my 454 that were around 4' long and 18'' round. That alone only gave me only 22 gallons. So you are restricted on how far you can go by the amount of tanks you want to carry. But there are alot of fill stations throughout the valley.

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
Thanks for the info!!

Yes then you get the rebate! The only down fall of the CNG is the tanks. The tanks are big I ran 3 tanks on my 454 that were around 4' long and 18'' round. That alone only gave me only 22 gallons. So you are restricted on how far you can go by the amount of tanks you want to carry. But there are alot of fill stations throughout the valley.

Yeah the one in Murray is right next to where I live so it would be perfect. But a real pain if I wanted to go out side of I-15 it looks like. I wish they would just get on this and start providing the service. I mean Ethanol is laughable. We sit on more natural gas in this country than corn production or even oil.

I wish I had the 4-5 k to drop on it. Knowing Jeeps though it is probably a lot more.I have heard that you have to maintain it? You can do like a combined system can't you as well?

Last edited:

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
Yeah the one in Murray is right next to where I live so it would be perfect. But a real pain if I wanted to out side of I-15 it looks like. I wish they would just get on this and start providing the service. I mean Ethanol is laughable. We sit on more natural gas in this country than oil.

I wish I had the 4-5 k to drop on it. Knowing Jeeps though it is probably a lot more.I have heard that you have to maintain it? You can do like a combined system can't you as well?

There are a couple stations off I-15 there is one in Price, St George, wyoming ect. Yes some systems are dual fuel. My old truck was dual fuel. Selectabe by a switch inside the cab witch made it nice if I couldn't quite make it to the CNG station. Keep in mind with the price of fuel and tax rebate the conversion would pay for itself in no time! I have a Dmax now and I am personally debating on CNG or making my own BIO. FYI I use to tow my rig down to moab from north salt lake for $40.

Nate R

It's derby season!
I have a Dmax now and I am personally debating on CNG or making my own BIO.

Who are you going to have set-up your Dmax? I'd love to put a system on my Cummins but haven’t had any luck finding a shop that can do it. I've talked to the guys a Sno-Motion, I’ll just say that they are interesting and no help.

5.0explorer

Lets go splorin!
We are planning to do this to our work van and depending on how it works out I would like to do it on my v8 explorer. The price of natural gas is regulated to stay what it is till 2010 and then it goes up to $1.00 till 2015, from what I understand. For more info on conversion kits check this out: www.mycngkit.com. Their v8 kit price is $1200 plus the cost of the tanks (which are more than the kit itself! but if you look around you can find them used there are some on ksl.com right now). With the Gov. rebate and the amount of money you'll save on gas alone to me it seems very cost effective.

5.0explorer

Lets go splorin!
You can do like a combined system can't you as well?

Most of the kits i've seen are combined so you can switch between CNG and gas. If I do it i want to mount the CNG tank in place of my factory fuel tank (or maybe get a new gas tank, cut it in half, and mount it inside then put it back together and use the factory straps to hold it.) and put a fuel cell where my spare tire is now for my gas.

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
Who are you going to have set-up your Dmax? I'd love to put a system on my Cummins but haven’t had any luck finding a shop that can do it. I've talked to the guys a Sno-Motion, I’ll just say that they are interesting and no help.

Im not sure what im doing yet. Still doing research. I haven't actually found anyone yet who feels confident enough about CNG on a diesel. Although I have seen a few people out there running them. I have actually been leaning towards making my own bio. I can get a complete system for about 6k. I have a hook up on veg oil so it would only cost me about 80 cents a gal to make..

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
We are planning to do this to our work van and depending on how it works out I would like to do it on my v8 explorer. The price of natural gas is regulated to stay what it is till 2010 and then it goes up to $1.00 till 2015, from what I understand. For more info on conversion kits check this out: www.mycngkit.com. Their v8 kit price is $1200 plus the cost of the tanks (which are more than the kit itself! but if you look around you can find them used there are some on ksl.com right now). With the Gov. rebate and the amount of money you'll save on gas alone to me it seems very cost effective.

You can find some kits on KSL for cheap but they are most likely just the fogger kit not the direct injection. The fogger kits run ok but you loose about 30% HP. The direct injection kits are nice they say you don't loose any HP and you cant tell when they switch between fuels like the other kits.

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
Most of the kits i've seen are combined so you can switch between CNG and gas. If I do it i want to mount the CNG tank in place of my factory fuel tank (or maybe get a new gas tank, cut it in half, and mount it inside then put it back together and use the factory straps to hold it.) and put a fuel cell where my spare tire is now for my gas.

Unless they make some other type of tanks you would only be able to put a 3-5 gal tank in place of your reg tank. But I could be wrong!! My buddy has his tahoe converted with a 5 gal tank mounted were the spare was and it hangs 6-8'' below the rear bumper.

soda blaster

We run cng now I love it. The hardest part is knowing where to find cng at. our van gets about 1 hundred miles between fill ups. But as far as sno-motion goes they may be good at conversions but diagnostics is not there thing. I never got a rebate check on our van how do you go about getting that?

53 willys

Bad speller
if you want to run 100% CNG in a Diesel you have to add spark plugs...CNG would not lite off from being compressed like diesel fuel.
cost my $3.50 to go 150 miles in my CNG contour:greg: