Anyone have a net connected solar panel system?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've been toying with the idea for a while but got serious enough to get some bids this week. Seems like a good deal. I'm thinking about a 6kw system. The Fed and state rebates pay for about half of it. My share would be about $12k but I'd have little to no power bill and a guaranteed 80% output for 25 years. Thoughts? Experience?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My opinion is that If they were actually cost effective and reliable then they would be in use already. Businesses would be all over it, but solar just isn't there yet. IMO

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My opinion is that If they were actually cost effective and reliable then they would be in use already. Businesses would be all over it, but solar just isn't there yet. IMO

With all this green stuff, I think it is the same. It's not all over the place because of up front costs. Most people can barely pay the monthly utility bill they get each month. So how many people could put up 12k for that kind of investment?

Same with CNG. I've been looking like crazy for the last six months for a good cng truck. People complain there isn't enough fill stations. Its cost a lot of up front money to get into that market. Just think if they would have developed it instead of gasoline.

I fully plan on doing a solar system in my next house. I wont be in this one long enough to have it pay for itself. And one of these days I will find a cng truck I like.

gahi

The contractor and I verified with Google.

Fed credit is %30 of the system cost.
State is $2k or %10 if you're a small business.

Thanks, does it need to be installed by a contractor to be eligible? Could you just submit all the receipts for a self installed system?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks, does it need to be installed by a contractor to be eligible? Could you just submit all the receipts for a self installed system?
From what I have seen it has to be a whole "system" but no restrictions on who can install it.

As far as solar being ready, the system I'm looking at has a micro inverter on each panel which really helped efficiency. The 6kw system should power my entire home 90%of the time. No batteries to care for, just backfeeds the grid and turns my meter backwards. When the sun is up.

I calculated the 12k out to a ten year installment and it matches my current power bill. So after 10 years at our current rates I make at least $150 a month for at least 15 years. That's if power prices don't increase.

Plus being able to power my own house in a grid down situation is a cool side benefit.

Caleb

I've actually been very seriously considering doing a solar setup on my house. I also want to do (in addition to the solar) a residential wind turbine. I get a ton of wind out by me so I know I could put it to good use. Between the two, I'm sure I could power my whole house and have more than one means to do so.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I know a couple of the Reps from Solartek Solutions if you haven't gotten in touch with them already. The financing is the real innovation these days as everyone sells pretty much comparable PV tech. Being able to transform the electric bill into the payment for the cells is awesome. Let me know if you'd like their contact info. 801-648-9499 text me

DAA

Supporting Member
It's only a matter of time before I go this route too, so I watch these discussions closely.

Just not quite there yet, in terms of payoff, for me. But it's getting close. Next year perhaps.

Like the thought of adding wind too, I haven't really given that any consideration.

- DAA

ID Bronco

My friends Father put in a residential turbine a few years ago with promises that it would take care of his needs and supply others. Well it has failed miserably. Does not take care of his needs and is about a 26 year pay back.

If the Govt. has to pay half of it to be viable is it really viable? Should we take advantage of a flawed program because it's available? Even if taxpayers have to pay for the other half? (I am not trying to be a prick or holier than thou so to speak. Just a question in general) It's not for me on a daily basis but would be cool as a crap hitting the fan kind of thing. Then you would have all kinds of friends.

I get what you are saying, ID Bronco, but using that logic, I wouldn't take some of my income tax deductions, either. As I see it, the government is pretty much raping us. I'm not going to be dishonest, but I will take every advantage they allow.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
The way I look at it...if you own a home with some equity and are up for a refi...you are pretty much retarded if you don't do it NOW! You refinance your house with a better rate, finance the difference of the solar panels in your new home loan and BAM no more electric bill. Nothing out of your pocket. I'm telling you guys the tech isn't going to be that much better or cheaper in the next five years but mark my words, those rebates won't be here in 5 years. If I had a house I would have them TOMORROW. The feds just levied a HUGE import tariff on chinese solar panels because they are making kick ass panels for nothing which "threatens" US "made" panels. I could go on for hours on how power companies are sprinting to close loop holes and kill solar. Power companies do not want you to stop buying power from them and they have the lobby for it!

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This has been interesting. We started looking at Solar back in 1982 and have not done anything because your only backup to it is batteries that cost and take much maintenance. We have been leaning towards a gas, not liquid, powered generator that costs between 4 and 7 thousand dollars installed and payoff was about 7 years.

I forgot to add that this is for backup only although it could be a possible full time use item.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
A few years back I talked to a guy out by Redwood in Saratoga Springs with the wind turbine, he said he had about a 20% drop in his bill, he's added solar since but I haven't ran into him again to see how it's changed things.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
You say going 100% solar and being net connected isn't financially feasible in Utah? John says you are wrong, and he is proving it every day.

John Saves Energy

Not only did he install solar panels on his roof (did the labor himself), the result produces enough electricity that he sold his gasoline cars and replaced them with two electric cars. BAM! No more electric bill and no more gasoline bills. As with any good web site, his tells you everything he did/does and also instructs you how to do the same. Based on current laws, he illustrates the ROI is now less than two years. It's very eye-opening.

skeptic

I'm a big fan of solar even though I don't have it yet. I'm waiting for the prices to come down to where a grid tied with battery backup setup is reasonable. I don't know what reasonable is to me, so don't ask. :) Maybe it's when the monthly electrical savings is greater than the monthly loan payment on a 5 year loan. Either that or if I have a house built.

I think part of the reason solar isn't popular yet, and the reason I don't have it, is because the break-even point is too long. 7-15+ years just to break even for a grid tied system. You have to be pretty confident that you will live in your home for several years for it to make financial sense, even taking into consideration the added home value. Where it does make sense is when it can be included in a mortgage and the increased mortgage payment is less than the electrical savings. Being included as part of a new home makes the most sense to me.