Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Badcop said:
Hmmm, lets step back and look at this:

How many people own/lease shop space on this board: XX

How many of those use it as a sole means of income: XX

How many people have a self sufficiant supply of money to just have a shop: X

Whats the average cost to furnish and supply a fully op shop: XX

If any of these people were willing to let you use there space for FREE and if they allowed you to use there tools/supplys FREE. Who pays to replace a welder when you drive up a peice of pipe to bend it and smash a new 220v Miller? Or when your playing around and burn out the secondary pump on a Plasma? Or bend a peice of pipe on a tube bender? Or a bend larger/smaller pipe on a die that doesnt fit?
Amen

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Badcop said:
Hmmm, lets step back and look at this:

How many people own/lease shop space on this board: XX

How many of those use it as a sole means of income: XX

How many people have a self sufficiant supply of money to just have a shop: X

Whats the average cost to furnish and supply a fully op shop: XX

If any of these people were willing to let you use there space for FREE and if they allowed you to use there tools/supplys FREE. Who pays to replace a welder when you drive up a peice of pipe to bend it and smash a new 220v Miller? Or when your playing around and burn out the secondary pump on a Plasma? Or bend a peice of pipe on a tube bender? Or a bend larger/smaller pipe on a die that doesnt fit?

reading WAY to much into his request. and if you knew Brad you would be willling to help him, he is a good guy.

and do you just not help anybody or do they have to pass a blood test in order for you to help them? :rolleyes:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
James K said:
reading WAY to much into his request. and if you knew Brad you would be willling to help him, he is a good guy.

and do you just not help anybody or do they have to pass a blood test in order for you to help them? :rolleyes:
Then you help him. My time and tools are worth a little more than.....free to someone I don't know.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hermit said:
I think you would get some better responses if you posted your request on Pirate 4X4 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: : :ugh:

No kidding...

Don't everybody jump up all at once to help a fellow 4 wheeler. :rolleyes:

If I had the room and the tools, I'd probably be willing to share some space for a couple beers a night. I mean come on... not everybody is in this sport / hobby to make $$$$. It's about friends too. :eek:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Herzog said:
No kidding...

Don't everybody jump up all at once to help a fellow 4 wheeler. :rolleyes:

If I had the room and the tools, I'd probably be willing to share some space for a couple beers a night. I mean come on... not everybody is in this sport / hobby to make $$$$. It's about friends too. :eek:
Don't get me wrong here, I help out my friends all the time, but they offer to pay for the usages. Add it up, if I had to pay for the welding wire, gas, power, etc, then my hobby would suffer. I can't afford my own hooby let alone others. I have had way too many ex-friends take advantage of me this way. If this individual is such a great guy I'm sure he will find someone to help him. Maybe the post should have been directed at his friends or maybe he should have just asked his friend for some help, I think he would have received a better responce.

just my thoughts.

:)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
James K said:
I didn't know him before I helped him the first time.
Then help him again, you make it seem that you have a big heart. Interesting thing is, I can recall a conversation with you and you bitchen about this same thing. How soon we forget... ;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Shawn said:
Don't get me wrong here, I help out my friends all the time, but they offer to pay for the usages. Add it up, if I had to pay for the welding wire, gas, power, etc, then my hobby would suffer. I can't afford my own hooby let alone others. I have had way too many ex-friends take advantage of me this way. If this individual is such a great guy I'm sure he will find someone to help him. Maybe the post should have been directed at his friends or maybe he should have just asked his friend for some help, I think he would have received a better responce.

just my thoughts.

:)

I agree 100%... but the first few replies were pretty rude. I'm not pointing at you, I'm saying in general.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
James K said:
BWAHAHAHA................. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love compassionate people.
If you are speaking of me, I would say you must have more money to spend on others than I do.
Compassion doesn't pay the bills. :)

OCNORB

Supporting Member
James K said:
I didn't know him before I helped him the first time.

If he needed something that I could specifically help him with, I would have no problem doing that. I think that what he is asking for is just over the top.

I have helped quite a few people with their rigs, but I have learned the hard way that we agree that the job must be done within a certain time period so that the project doesn't end up staying in my driveway forever. Most people don't have any idea how long it can take to get the job done and end up planning more than they can do with their time. Have you ever had someone bring over a big project that you had no problem helping them with and then they tell you that the wife says they have to be at _____________ by 5:00 p.m.??????? They never mention THAT part when you agree to help them.

I apologize if my responses came off as rude, but I thought it was kind of a ridiculous request.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
OCNORB said:
If he needed something that I could specifically help him with, I would have no problem doing that. I think that what he is asking for is just over the top.

I have helped quite a few people with their rigs, but I have learned the hard way that we agree that the job must be done within a certain time period so that the project doesn't end up staying in my driveway forever. Most people don't have any idea how long it can take to get the job done and end up planning more than they can do with their time. Have you ever had someone bring over a big project that you had no problem helping them with and then they tell you that the wife says they have to be at _____________ by 5:00 p.m.??????? They never mention THAT part when you agree to help them.

I apologize if my responses came off as rude, but I thought it was kind of a ridiculous request.

I agree with you on a lot of that. It just seems some people are going out of there way not to help. Which hey if you don't want to help thats cool, but why give all these reason how he is a bad person because he's asking for help.

I guess what I'm getting at is all these people want the BB to be a warm and friendly place that one can go to to get help yet they ***** when someone ask for it. :confused:

honestly I don't give two squirts whether anyone wants to help him. but why be little the man for asking. ;)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
OCNORB said:
......... Have you ever had someone bring over a big project that you had no problem helping them with and then they tell you that the wife says they have to be at _____________ by 5:00 p.m.???????.........

......and even then, they show up at 3:30......

frankenfab

So, some replies were rude (you think?)....

Instead of asking for this...

I'm checking to see if anyone will let me work on my jeep in their shop. I'd like access to a welder and tube bender, and preferably in provo/orem area. I need to make me some tube fenders, redo my wiring, and build a rear tire carrier, oh yeah... and learn how to bend tube and weld.

He might have got a better response if he had asked more like this...

Hi, I have a few projects I'd like to do on my Jeep. I don't have equipment or shop space. I was wondering if some of you could help me out. I'd like to do a small project first. Maybe someone could teach me how to weld and build a rear bumper. I'd be willing to help you out, maybe some yard work in exchange. Thanks.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
frankenfab said:
So, some replies were rude (you think?)....

Instead of asking for this...

I'm checking to see if anyone will let me work on my jeep in their shop. I'd like access to a welder and tube bender, and preferably in provo/orem area. I need to make me some tube fenders, redo my wiring, and build a rear tire carrier, oh yeah... and learn how to bend tube and weld.

He might have got a better response if he had asked more like this...

Hi, I have a few projects I'd like to do on my Jeep. I don't have equipment or shop space. I was wondering if some of you could help me out. I'd like to do a small project first. Maybe someone could teach me how to weld and build a rear bumper. I'd be willing to help you out, maybe some yard work in exchange. Thanks.

that may be true. but because he worded his request wrong he should be burned at the stake???????

Status
Not open for further replies.