Anyone into Moto Trials?

sixstringsteve

I found a cool site with some free trials tutorials on it.

http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/introduction-to-tutorials/

Right now I'm learning how to turn. :D I love that it's quieter than my lawnmower, and I can practice in my backyard. It's crazy how much it feels like a bicycle more than a motorcycle. It's more like using stilts or using a pogo stick for the first time. Most of your weight is right over the rear wheel. You steer with your feet rather than your hands. I'm having a blast so far.

Here's a little thread to push someone over the line to get one. Tyson, are you next?
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/687007-why-do-trials-bikes-appeal-to-you/

Cascadia

Undecided
Of course I'm next! I'm excited! Just need to find a way to get a bike back from Boise. I don't have any time to get there and back myself.

sixstringsteve

Saw this video the other day. Not bad for a 16 year old!

[youtube]HkwHryH19zU[/youtube]

I need some trials riding buddies. Thinking about riding at lambert park tonight. My backyard is fun to ride in, but I'm looking forward to riding some real rocks.

sixstringsteve

you suck. I need a mix between a trails and trials bike now.

KTM freeride 350 baby. Someone has finally figured it out. I have almost convinced Tyson to get a trials bike.

btw. have you got your yellow spandex unitard yet?

No, not yet, they're on backorder. I've just been practicing in my speedo in the backyard. :p

I'm having a blast with my trials bike. It's totally boring to ride on fire roads, but for messing around on technical stuff, it's great. It's crazy how long I can entertain myself with a brick and my trials bike in the back yard.

Supposedly they're getting a new park to put a trials practice area in west jordan. This weekend (pending weather) I'll be heading down to Elberta to ride the trials course there. We'll see just how bad I suck.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I finally picked up a trials bike tonight. I went with a gas gas 280. It's totally different riding. But it is so much fun, super light, and gobs of torque. I also can't believe how quiet it is. I could ride around my back and side yard at night and the neighbors wouldn't even know.

sixstringsteve

Congrats! It's awesome how quite they are, I ride in my backyard all the time. I'll teach you the few things I know. Just remember, to go you use the clutch, not the gas...that took me a while to figure out. And always have your finger hovering over the clutch. WHen you're about to wheelie out, pulling in the clutch will usually save it. We need to adjust your clutch, yours grabs WAY out there.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

it actually gets a lot of people in trouble because they think they can stall it, but it just keeps on tractoring forward.

A couple things I've learned about trials bike in my short time with one.

1) clean the air filter every ride
2) run 80:1 mix gas
3) you'll be in 2nd gear for almost all trials related stuff. As a noob, stay away from 3rd gear. And you'll realize that 1st gear is so low that it's twitchy.
4) you want your rear tire at about 5 psi, and the front around 7
5) regular MX boots are too stiff and bulky for trials. They actually have trials-specific boots. I've just been using tennis shoes for now.

Hopefully I can edit some of my footage from this weekend to get you pumped.

sixstringsteve

It's a riot. Very laid back and chill. These guys were super nice to teach me. It's a totally different thing than normal dirt biking, but I'm loving it. It's very addictive.

sixstringsteve

thanks. I was surprised how quickly I caught on. I was extremely nervous at first and didn't really know what to do. But they taught me on two or three obstacles and that was enough to get me started. A lot of the guys in the clip haven't even been riding for a year yet.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Looks like fun Steve, however i'm going to have to stop viewing this thread because I don't have room for anymore toys. :greg:

sixstringsteve

Tyler, you come over and ride it whenever you want. I'm thinking of riding snakes this Saturday evening after the training day. Either that or Lambert park in Alpine. I think there are a few fun areas to explore there.