Anyone know anything about Volvo's?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I'm looking at picking up a 2000 Volvo V70 for a commuter car.

It has the 2.5 straight 5 cylinder turbo motor, All Wheel Drive and Automatic. 189K miles. Owner is asking $700

The owner states he replaced the Radiator after he found a crack in the original radiator. He says now it is overheating and he thinks its a bad headgasket. I tend to think there is an air bubble in the cooling system because it was not bled properly.

I'll admit I'm not a Volvo guy. I've worked on loads of Land Rovers, BMW's, Mercedes, Audi, VW's and Porches. I know how to fix those very easily.

I've done some timing belts on Volvo's, and other light maintenance. They didn't seem very complex or hard to work on, i just hate longitudinally mounted engines.

I offered the dude $400 for it. He said it passed emissions and safety when he registered it a couple months ago. He also lost the title. But says the county said he could get a title transfer for me even without it.

I'll have him write a bill of sale and photocopy all of the $20 bills i'm paying him with.:greg:

What do you think? Could this be as easy as i think?

I'm going to have him fire it up while i stand behind it.

I'll check the oil for a milk shake.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Getting a new title isn't that hard.. IF he really owns it.. if their is still a lein it causes real issues.
There is a DMV form to have him fill out, no need for bill of sale. I believe it is DMV for TC-123..

4554x4

always modifing something
I would run like hell. Its a huge risk without a title. If there is nothing wrong concerning ownership, why then has he not already received a duplicate title? It's a simple process providing all is well with a clear title. Secondly I'm no fan of these cars as they are difficult to repair compared to American or Japanese cars, but you state you are good with all of the weird European stuff, so maybe its no big deal.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Only thing I know about them is they seem to be featured in more made-for-tv movies then any other car. Have you ever noticed that? Not sure if that's good or bad.

Bart

We've had our 2001 V70XC for about 8 years and 100,000 miles (bought it with 50,000 and it now has 150,000) and it's been a great car. Had to do the tranny when we first bought it, but other than that its been basic maintenance. Can't give you any insight on the cooling system or the title. Good luck with your decision.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
well, heading up to Logan tonight to look at it. he talked to the county again. it is free of any leans and they said it would be fine to swap the title to me under a lost title thing a ma jiggy.

Troop92

Buddy had one about that year and it was bulletproof. After seeing it in person, what are your thoughts? $700 sounds like a wicked deal.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Picked it up for $300. The headgasket is blown. I bought $300 worth of parts to get it running. Hauled it from Logan to Layton tonight behind my range rover. I should have it up and running in a week.
heju2egu.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
about a week and a half. i needed a commuter car. and besides, there isn't much that I want to do to the Range Rover other then little stuff here and there. I'm pretty happy with it.

the range rover always gets 13mpg. it doesn't even matter if i'm pulling 8000 lbs behind it. i was still getting 13 mpg. I am continually impressed with that thing. i though it would struggle to pull all that weight especially with 33 inch tires and 3.54 gears.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So I ordered all the following to get this beater up and running:

Headgasket kit
Coolant Overflow
Timing belt kit
Water Pump
Thermostat
new head bolts

hoping to find some interior parts at a junkyard

Troop92

Nice, hopefully it'll turn out to be a cheap commuter investment for you.

On a side note - I've seen you a few times zipping around Layton in your Rover, just didn't know it was you!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Moving into my House tomorrow at 5.00 pm. I'm so excited to have a house and an attached garage again! Now i just have to decide which of the three stalls I should shove the volvo into to tear it apart.

Are there any good machine shops in Layton that can surface a head?

The poor car is sitting outside of my friends house until Friday. I started cleaning up the interior and the leather. I bought $30 worth of detailing supplies. I got almost all the stains out of the leather. It still blows my mind that people can't figure out how to take care of leather in cars.

1377538_10202300618026336_1358072936_n.jpg