Are You Emotional About Your Rigs?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I can't help but feel a little emotional towards my rigs. As a lot of you know, I sold my JK a few weeks ago. I could have sold it lots of times in the last few months, but I was getting a lot of low offers. I bought it low enough that I would have still made money on it, but to be honest, I didn't like a lot of the people that did make offers. One guy offered me 21k for it, but his two kids were climbing all over it, stepping on the seats and hanging on the doors. He could have offered me 30k and I wouldn't have sold it to him.
After a while of that, I put it on ebay. By some luck, a guy from Draper contacted me about it saying it was perfect for him. That he'd been out of wheeling for a long time and was dying to get back into it. Also that he had just gotten divorced and that this would be a good way for him and his son to stay close. He came over and looked at it, drove it. Done deal. I really wanted 23k for it, but we settled at 22,600. He took it one last time to go show his boy, then we planned on meeting the next day at the bank. He told me his buddy was a car dealer and that he was going to "buy" to to help him with the taxes, ect. I didn't think anything of it.
I met him the next day at the bank with his buddy and closed the deal. I walked away happy that I had finally made some money on a Jeep, and very sad at the same time, because that had turned into my all time favorite jeep. I always knew that it would be a Jeep that I would fix up and flip, so I was kind of prepared for that moment. I had never expected my 2 year old to fall in love with it though. It is amazing how he took to it. It's been a few weeks now and he still says "Jeep", maybe 20 times a day.
I was happy knowing it was going to a good home where a dad and his son will spend quality time together...

Till yesterday when I was driving down State past National Auto Plaza and saw this

Salt Lake City-20131022-00506.jpg

I turned around and checked it out. I confirmed that it was my old jeep. They rattle canned the wheels black (very poor job of it) but that's about it. I guess I should have know this would happen once the guys "buddy" got involved.

So if you're looking for a good Jeep, head on over there. The new price is $27,900.

Please excuse me while I go wipe away a tear or two.

Bart

You got $400 less than you wanted which isn't too bad of a deal. As you can tell from my vehicle turnover, I don't get that emotionally attached.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Rigs are just assets. However if you've had one that has been in the family for a while it's difficult to let the asset go as you think the memories will go with it. The memories will stay. Nothing wrong with changing the asset if it puts you/your family in a better financial situation.

You/your kids can get just as attached to the "new" rig if it's a $30k JKU or if it's a $3k FSJ (insert your favorite Toyota or 'zuk reference there).... It's about the TIME you spend with friends/family on the trail, not the asset.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I get attached to my rigs too. Usually, by the time I get around to selling them I am ready for it, but I still miss most of them from time to time.

sixstringsteve

That sucks. The fake story would definitely bug me. However, seeing that you bought the jeep to flip it for more later, I wouldn't feel too bad that he did the same.

I'm like Mesha. I get quite attached to my rigs while I own them, but when it comes time to sell them, I care about the $ I get back more than what the owner is going to do to it. I'd obviously prefer it goes to a good home, but I'm selling it for the money, not to send it off to a better place.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Why tell you a story? I don't get that dishonesty. I do get they wanted a deal but there's no integrity in doing something like that.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I got what I wanted out of it. I would have sold it right to the dealer if they would have given me my price. I just thought it was cool that it was going to a good home.

On a side note, I just texted the guy to find out how he has been liking the Jeep. Hope he responds!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I guess Im sorta attached to my big pig.

Ive had it longer than my wife tho! lol LOTS of memories with this thing.

I would sell it Im sure. I will never post it for sale unless I had to to keep my family fed. But if someone genuinely wanted it.....I would be sad but also be excited for all the new memories that it would get to make for someone else.

Bottom line is rigs are just tools or toys. Never love something that cant love you back.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The fake story would definitely bug me. However, seeing that you bought the jeep to flip it for more later, I wouldn't feel too bad that he did the same.

This is true. Mostly it's the guys story that bugged me. Plus, I had several great times with my family in it, camping and wheeling and such. I really don't think he flipped it. I think he kind of a scout that finds good deals for the dealer to come buy. When I first contacted him about it, he asked me vehicle I was talking about. Indicating to me that he was looking for several.

DAA

Supporting Member
I do get very attached to some of my rigs. Others, not at all.

My best friend works at an auto auction. Hearing some of the stuff he sees used car dealers doing every day, nothing would surprise me and simply telling a story is very tame.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

This is true. Mostly it's the guys story that bugged me. Plus, I had several great times with my family in it, camping and wheeling and such. I really don't think he flipped it. I think he kind of a scout that finds good deals for the dealer to come buy. When I first contacted him about it, he asked me vehicle I was talking about. Indicating to me that he was looking for several.

I think you're absolutely right. It's good that you can look back at the good times you've had with it.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I don't get attached to my off roaders, but I must admit I do to other vehicles. My wife broke down into tears when I sold off my NAPCO, I didn't feel bad about it though. However, when I got rid of my 68 Vette, I wanted to cry. She was smiling ear to ear.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
..... However, when I got rid of my 68 Vette, I wanted to cry. She was smiling ear to ear.

I'd probably be glad to get rid of that having to get in/out of it, but I'm SURE there would be a smile on my face when seated and in motion in one of those. :D

That said, I'm surprised how many in my family are attached to the current wheeler. I see it as an asset that doesn't get used as much as it should. The kids seem to see it as a connection to me, and my wife is fairly hesitant for me to sell it (not sure why)

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I am very attached to my vehicles. But I have also cut up and sold many a car I was in love with. I pieced a bug out once into about thirty pieces. That's just the body. It was near show quality. I made more on it that way than to sell whole. guess I love money more.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I'm still emotional about my old ZJ... and not too proud to admit I shed a tear as it drove away. I had really hoped that cash in hand would ease the sting, but it didn't.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Good to see I'm not the only one. There is only one Jeep that I've owned that I wouldn't take back. I would love to have the rest of them back. I felt really bad when I cut up my clean CJ7. I really wish I still had that one after its first build up.

Back to the side note: He hasn't texted be back. I was hoping he would, saying something like, " I love it. Driving it every day". Would have been fun to call him out on it.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I get attached to most of my rigs. After all the blood, sweat, and money I have poured into them, it is hard for me to not feel connected. Of the 7 Jeeps I have had, 3 I don't want back because they were more work than they were worth, and my current one I bought pretty much as it sits so I am not as connected yet. But I too look at it more for the time spent with family and going places I love. My Jeep is more about my lifestyle (or at least the lifestyle I want to live) and helping me do what I want. I love that I can take all 5 in my family on a trip with top off. That keeps me connected to my vehicle.