Are You Emotional About Your Rigs?

LT.

I get a little attached to my vehicles as well. They all have names, and the latest one I bought because it is close to one of the trucks I learned to drive in and took my drivers test in. I bought it for my daughter but, I suspect I will end up with it as a hunting truck since Christine is turning out so nice. However, I can sell all but one any time. Rosie is the only one I want t keep. I brought my baby home in her.

LT.

blznnp

I haven't gotten attached to any of my rigs...yet. I am sure once I start building cars/trucks that I have always wanted, that I will get attached. My mom actually shed a tear one day when I had a old s10 blazer get towed away and taken to the wrecking yard after I had a "fabricator" doing a rear suspension for me and he screwed it up and then found out the frame was tweaked from the previous owner (not enough to notice while driving or looking at it). I got a little attached to that blazer since it was my first rig that I had put a good amount of money and work into.

Troop92

More or less like everyone else, I love them while i have them, then can only hope they go on to someone that will love them as much as I did. I name mine too, LT.

That said, I do honestly love my Trooper. My Bug and Murano could go and I'd be okay with that, but my Trooper? Nope. I will be keeping Mr. Miyagi until it is rediculously impractical to do so. Rediculously impractical.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
My vehicles do love me back... they show it by getting me home even when put to the task. I get attached, less to the 'personality' of any particular vehicle but more to the amount of time I have vested into them and or the unique aspect of them. I've got hundreds of hours into my latest Land Cruiser and the thought of doing all that work on something new just to have something new is exhausting. At that I've been known to keep vehicles for a long time and when I do sell they usually don't end up too far removed from me. My first Cruiser (purchases in 1995) stopped by the other day, my first Tacoma (purchased in 2001?) is still owned/used by a good friend so occasionally I share the trail with it. I've had a handful of 60's, one belongs to a pal/past employee of mine, another belongs to Tricky Dicky, another good pal and the last one belongs to my buddy Micah... I see them all super regularly. Can't complain I suppose :D

rondo

rondo
I also wish everyone would be honest but there are a lot of crooked mouths in the world.
I get very attached to almost all of my vehicles but if the price were right yeah i'd sell any or all of them - is that bad? haha even my WW2 jeep that took a year and a 1/2 to restore and countless hours in the garage i'd surely sell it and use the $ for something bigger like a 1/2 ton dodge WC with a .50 cal heh heh heh

KWight

I have my truck for sale right now so I can buy the crew cab I have wanted for over 10 years. It's looking like either an older gentleman wants to buy it for his grandson or a young college kid who lives in a mountain town will end up buying it. I am hoping for the college kid as I worry about a moderately modified 4x4 in the hands of a first time driver.

Update: Ah, so all is well that ends well. It turns out the family of the 16 year old kid came through and I sold the truck today. I was happy to hear that the kid spent his whole summer busting his but at a metal recycling plant to earn the money to buy HIS OWN truck. It makes me feel like it will be in good hands. Now to finish upgrading the brakes on the Suburban so I have a vehicle to drive while I look for my next truck.

Last edited:
Attached. To the current one anyway, and to a lesser degree, its tow rig. And the blazer. And the YJ. And the trailer. And the Rainbow. (well, maybe not the Rainbow). I try not to be attached to the work truck, but I can't help it. :D

Like mbryson said about his ride, my kids see them as extensions of me, and I guess I do too. They help me / let me do things that are important to me.

But the rig itself, my Scrambler, besides what I've put into it, gotten out of it, and memories made with friends and family, is also a daily reminder of some pretty cool friends I have.

I've been attached to previous rigs too...but the jump to the next rig made selling each one ok.

Loved reading this thread and the various responses. I agree with not loving something that can't love you back, but at the same time, I don't have the same attachment with any of the vehicles that I've owned that are cookie-cutter copies of millions of other same models out there. And anyway, it's not the same thing. I LOVE my wife/kids. I enjoy/appreciate my toys...and couldn't really sell my Scrambler...unless it was putting the family in jeopardy not to.