Beater/project Yamaha WR450f

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So I didn't need this, especially as much of a project as it is... I almost passed on it... it was THAT BAD. On top of that, I messed up my right wrist last year and I've been trying to convince myself that I could live without a dedicated dirt bike. See how long that lasted? :rofl:

This bike came up on the local Craigslist and it peaked my curiosity. I emailed him and set up a time to see the bike. The guy selling it was pretty questionable, I'm pretty sure money from selling the bike was going to fund his drug habit for the next while. Even then, the paperwork and other info about the bike seemed on the up & up. Anyway... the bike... It's a '04 Yamaha WR450... and has been severely neglected and beat-up.

Honestly, I was scared to ride the bike, considering that 2 teeth next to each other were totally missing from the front sprocket. I put on my gear and rode it up and down the street... and that was enough!

The bad? Oil leaking from the valve cover, both sprockets and the chain are SHOT, 2 flat tires, front wheel bearings are shot, most of the bike was spray bombed flat black, bent brake levers, scratched headlight fairing, duct tape on the seat, a few broken/missing spokes on the rear wheel, front wheel bent in 2 places, etc, etc, etc.

The good part? It fires right up, runs great and is silly fast. Other than all the neglect, the engine seems to have been taken care of, no valve train noise, clean air filter, etc. Also, the bike is titled (clear title), which means I could plate it tomorrow at the DMV, if I wanted to. Pretty big deal here in Colorado.

The guy was asking $1000 and I honestly told him it wasn't worth that to me. I had cash and asked for his bottom line.... we settled on a price that we both were happy with, did the paperwork and loaded up the bike!

I have a used set of big bars from my DR and a handful of other small spare part kicking around. Those will help me get a jump on fixing this bike up for the Summer!

And so the project started.... pics in the next post! Brace yourselves, it's scary!

Greg

Admin
How I got it...

1217476383_hxMKk-M.jpg

1217476439_qD4gE-L.jpg

1217476412_37dGV-M.jpg

1217476498_CeXid-M.jpg

1217476572_qz3Sm-M.jpg

1217476577_moG9K-M.jpg

1217476675_iLJL8-M.jpg

I pulled off the seat and side panels, sprayed on a LOT of degreaser, then took it to the pressure washer. The previous owner didn't even have the decency to wash the mud/dirt off, from his last ride. :rolleyes:

1217476592_ybhWB-M.jpg

1217476793_Sokdv-L.jpg

Then I ran down to the ACE hardware and picked up some paint stripper, to try undo the black rattle can paint job... it cleaned up well!

1217476939_cUpJR-M.jpg

1217476997_Evooe-M.jpg

1217476996_EnDTY-M.jpg

I was concerned the factory frame paint would come up with the stripper, but it didn't! I tested the rear fender to see how well the stripper would work with the plastic and it seems OK. I'm not TOO worried about it though, since I'll be replacing it all anyhow.

The other good things are... both tires look pretty good (Pirelli's) and it seems to have new brake pads front and rear. After I washed it I fired it up using the kickstart and it started on the 3rd kick, pretty good for a beat looking, cold 4 stroke! Again, it seems to run great. I was able to heat up the bent front brake lever with a small propane torch and bend it back into a normal looking shape.

I ordered a bunch of maintenance parts, oil filters, spark plug, new heavy duty tubes, front wheel bearing, valve cover gasket and a new chain & sprocket kit. New plastics will come after I catch up on the mechanical stuff... but in the meantime, I did find a new/used Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank for the bike for $170! I'd like to find a new/used headlight fairing too.

STAG

I have an '08 YZ450F dirtbike, those motors are amazing aren't they? My bike is always the fastest dirtbike up sandmountain and its bone-stock.

rholbrook

Your going to love that bike. Make sure to check the valve clearances while you have the valve cover off. Alright, when is the ride? I got mine out and replaced both front forks seals. I'm ready to go.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Killer! :cool:

Its funny just how bad a bike can be neglected isn't it? Especially when all it takes is a little upkeep, preventative maintenance and a few bucks to keep them nice.

Great price tons of potential and an end result of having one of the best bikes ever made--I'd say you scored huge! Here's the real question...

When's the first annual RME single track ride?! :D

rholbrook

I have an '08 YZ450F dirtbike, those motors are amazing aren't they? My bike is always the fastest dirtbike up sandmountain and its bone-stock.

This is no YZ450F by any means but for the riding Greg and I do, its perfect. I did make mine another step close to a YZ. I put a YZ exhaust cam in mine. Man, it pulls harder now. :)

Stratton, just beg your wife. I know where there is on in Layton very similar to Gregs, well maybe not as bad as shape but it is rattle canned black, needs the carb cleaned and a new head pipe.

Greg

Admin
:cool: I'm loving it. :)

You and me both!

I dig the 5 valve engine! Tons of power, I'm a fan!

Your going to love that bike. Make sure to check the valve clearances while you have the valve cover off. Alright, when is the ride? I got mine out and replaced both front forks seals. I'm ready to go.

I actually had a '98 WR400 many years ago that I rode all over. I loved that bike, it was great. I'm excited for this WR450, should provide some great times.

Good call on checking the valves while replacing the gasket, I'm going to do some reading up on it.

Next ride... soonish? Next few weeks? Moab is drying out, the Swell should be perfect very soon!

Killer! :cool:

Its funny just how bad a bike can be neglected isn't it? Especially when all it takes is a little upkeep, preventative maintenance and a few bucks to keep them nice.

Great price tons of potential and an end result of having one of the best bikes ever made--I'd say you scored huge! Here's the real question...

When's the first annual RME single track ride?! :D

It's crazy how bad a bike can get if neglected, especially such a great bike like this WR450! Oh well, it was cheap, elbow grease is free and I can do all the maintenance and work.

5MOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Miles of Hell NO!! :p

Last year :rofl: Although it ended up only being Greg adn Kurt that attended. :D

...but, when's the 2nd Annual ride? :p

You tell me!

argh.... jealousy. My wife is going to kill me if I spend our tax return on a better bike.

I'm already in the dog house myself, I told my wife I was going flip this WR450 and make some cash, then after I started cleaning it up, it began growing on me. She figured out I wanted to keep it and I've been getting all kinds of threats... :rofl:

No kidding, if I could find deals like Greg does, I think I'd be in trouble :D

I might have a bike if I could find deals like Greg does... :rofl:

I watch the classifieds way too much, then sometimes I act... :eek:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I hiked Ding and Dang in the Swell this last weekend and rode a friends CR a bit while I was there. Weather couldn't be better for dirtbiking! The $4 a gallon and $200 to get there and back was another story :(

Greg

Admin
It's perfect right now. Figure out a time and I will show you around the Chimney Rock single track.

I need a few weeks, lots of work to do on this WR!

Its not as bad as you think it is........Trust me:D

Besides, there are 3 escape routes if you decide you want to bail.

I'm pretty sure it is as bad as I think... remember how badly I got my ass kicked on the Sovereign Trail? I'd love to blame the heavy/weak WR250R, but if I were a better rider and in better shape, I'd consider 5MOH. Until then, I think I'll stay away.

I hiked Ding and Dang in the Swell this last weekend and rode a friends CR a bit while I was there. Weather couldn't be better for dirtbiking! The $4 a gallon and $200 to get there and back was another story :(

I was riding in Rabbit Valley that same weekend and was loving the desert weather! This weekend is a different story so far, it rained all day yesterday and it's going to be a muddy mess now. Guess I'll be in the garage, working on the bike!

Ding and Dang are great, aren't they!!

Greg

Admin
Gotta strip it down before I can put it back together!

1220637334_yhBLZ-M.jpg

1220637410_YKZKF-M.jpg

I had some used Protaper EVO big bars and a pair of bar risers sitting around, so I put them to use on the WR.-

1220637476_67JLY-M.jpg

About then, my order from RockyMountainATV showed up!

1220637368_g6Ej6-M.jpg

1220637532_K8VhU-M.jpg

I bolted on the new rear sprocket, dismounted the rear tire and tried to get the rear rim kind of straight by bending out the dents and tightened the loose spokes.

1220637380_t7aWV-M.jpg

1220637314_v7n5u-M.jpg

I decided that I wanted to wrap this up, so after getting my order from RMATV, I put in a 2nd order. Plastics, chain sliders and a handful of other parts I didn't get the first time. It would be great to go out riding on the WR next weekend!