Beater/project Yamaha WR450f

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Can't wait to see more! I have a YZ426 in my shop (meaning basement :eek:) that I'm working on for a friend that looks about the same way right now. I'd love to own a 5 valve Yammy one day!

PD rocks! I was hesitant back in the day to run the Primary Drive stuff. At first I thought it was an el'cheapo knock-off brand.. Now I have more miles on their stuff than i could ever put a number on and it would take a lot of convincing for me to buy anything else! Killer price and quality :cool:

Caleb

Can't wait to see more! I have a YZ426 in my shop (meaning basement :eek:) that I'm working on for a friend that looks about the same way right now. I'd love to own a 5 valve Yammy one day!

PD rocks! I was hesitant back in the day to run the Primary Drive stuff. At first I thought it was an el'cheapo knock-off brand.. Now I have more miles on their stuff than i could ever put a number on and it would take a lot of convincing for me to buy anything else! Killer price and quality :cool:
Primary Drive is RMATV's in house brand for their chains, sprockets, etc. Just like Lexx is their exhaust and Tusk is their tools and some small parts. I love RMATV's in house parts, great quality products for usually a bit less money.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
usually a bit less money.

RMATV was (and still is) a godsend here in Cache back in the day. Literally half the price on most parts and accessories compared to our local Honda/Yamaha dealer :ugh: I think its great they offer the OEM line now too :greg:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
This weekend was a bit overwhelming, seems like every corner I turned I found somewhere else that I needed to spend more money.

On Saturday I picked up a few replacement spokes for the rear wheel, also picked up a magnetic oil drain plug. I dismounted the tire, straightened out the rim and installed the new spokes and tightened up the loose ones. I went to mount up the rear Pirelli tire and looked inside first... only to find the cords showing, in a bad way. The PO rode on a flat/low tire quite a bit, destroying a nice tire that still had 90% tread. So I ended up ordering a Maxxis tire from RMATV.

After that frustrating deal, I moved onto the front wheel. Pressed out the seals and shot bearings, installed new ones, then went about straightening out the front rim. It was BEAT UP, I didn't realize how many times it had been hit. At least 7-8 dents... I almost ordered a new rim, but decided to try running this one for now. I mounted up the tire that was on the bike and installed the HD tube. The front end is now back together.

I also changed the oil & filter, dropped in a new spark plug and started working on the oil leaks. I got one taken care of, still waiting on the replacement valve cover gasket, which will take care of the main leak.

No new pictures this time around, hopefully I'll have some worth adding in the next few days!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
RMATV was (and still is) a godsend here in Cache back in the day. Literally half the price on most parts and accessories compared to our local Honda/Yamaha dealer :ugh: I think its great they offer the OEM line now too :greg:

As a side not, RMATV is not only great for what they provide to the off-road community in the way of parts and accessories, but the owner, Dan Thomas puts a fair amount of money into the land access fight. There is also a group of employees who have adopted several single track trails on the Uinta National Forest.

Definately an organization that puts their money where their mouth is.

Greg

Admin
As a side not, RMATV is not only great for what they provide to the off-road community in the way of parts and accessories, but the owner, Dan Thomas puts a fair amount of money into the land access fight. There is also a group of employees who have adopted several single track trails on the Uinta National Forest.

:thumbs:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
There is also a group of employees who have adopted several single track trails on the Uinta National Forest.

Yep. That's awesome and that makes supporting a business like that even better :cool:

Some of the guy's I camped with at 5MOH worked at RMATV. I thought I was a pretty fearless dirtbike rider until those guy's headed out to run 5MOH.... at night! :eek::ugh:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I thought I was a pretty fearless dirtbike rider until those guy's headed out to run 5MOH.... at night! :eek::ugh:

I think it is actually an easier trail at night. You don't see as much and the depth perception is totally different. You don't get as psyched out but everything. We missed it last year, but there is a group of about 15 of us that do it every November during a full moon.

Sorry for the Hijack Greg.

plaidfro

here you go Greg. Here is a video a couple of friends shot this past weekend on the 5MOH.

http://www.motoutah.com/forum/9-ride-reports/111234-5-miles-or-so-of-hell#111256

Great video... I have decided that I will try 5MOH when I get a 2-stroke all armored up for the S. Utah deserts. I ride a portly DRZ400 and just riding a portion of the red trail is a good workout, the 5MOH leg in there would eat me up on my 300lb bike.

I enjoy the Waterfall Loop, and the VJ trail is a fun little leg to run around the green, blue, and orange trails on my bike. It's like riding a lazy boy.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Great video... I have decided that I will try 5MOH when I get a 2-stroke all armored up for the S. Utah deserts. I ride a portly DRZ400 and just riding a portion of the red trail is a good workout, the 5MOH leg in there would eat me up on my 300lb bike.

I enjoy the Waterfall Loop, and the VJ trail is a fun little leg to run around the green, blue, and orange trails on my bike. It's like riding a lazy boy.

ssshhhhhhhh.......don't say VJ trail out loud.......we have not gotten that opened back up yet.;)

Hopefully one day we will have the VJ and Purple trail back on the map.

Greg

Admin
I've been waiting on the parts fairy and she showed up the other day, while I was at work! I came home to a large pile of boxes and a new rear tire. Time for some real work!

1227588688_32ZhG-M.jpg

1227588854_RhoDA-M.jpg

1227597471_CxWNG-M.jpg

I cleaned out the air box and installed the new Twin Air filter-

1227597679_UT2t6-L.jpg

Polisport headlight and fairing.-

1227597570_NBmw9-M.jpg

New grips and some Misfits grip donuts-

1227597621_QLvBd-L.jpg

New sprockets and chain, and rear wheel with new Maxxis IT desert tire.

1227597733_E9Rpt-L.jpg

1227586062_DZvUa-M.jpg

Rear fender with LED tail light and plate mount.-

1227586181_drk59-M.jpg

I decided to thread the ProTaper EVO bars for a pair of killer Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards... working on ordering the hand guards now. I have a pair of them on my DR650 and they're hands down the best hand guard option out there!

1227586225_VYny5-M.jpg

1227586300_ukpoF-M.jpg

Went ahead and replaced the valve cover gasket and checked the valves... they're within spec!

1227586127_J8TXA-L.jpg

New seat cover, I want to add some foam and then I'll put the new cover on.-

1227586446_gmerU-M.jpg

The previous, PREVIOUS owner has a piece of Scotchbrite over the air box holes, I liked the idea so I got a new one, trimmed it to fit, then placed it under some washers.-

1227586510_dddn7-M.jpg

I took a wire wheel to the Flatlands racing skidplate, pounded out some dents and cleaned it up. -

1227586666_rv5Mq-M.jpg

Took a few pics of it a it now sits... much better!!!

1227586555_DgWE4-M.jpg

1227586606_EuCRu-M.jpg

I'm still waiting on some other parts, including the Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank.

Greg

Admin
Seriously, that is looking very nice :cool: Now the next logical step is to get out and ride :D

Yea, it's surprising how huge of an improvement some work and a bunch of new parts can make. I wanted to get out and ride this weekend, but I'm working. Hopefully I can get out for a 1st ride next weekend, probably at Rabbit Valley. :cool: