Best TJ Long Arm kit?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
jfonze said:
I'm not sure how the RE kit ends up being cheaper?

If a RE 4.5" kit goes for $2600ish (price Care of alljeep.com) and a RK 5.5" goes for $1800 and a RK 4" goes for $1550 and the rock krawler comes with a triangulated rear, and if you where to add a belly skid for $350, how does RE become cheaper than RK for what you get?

Now Nth degree on the other hand RE & RK is hella cheaper for what you get...

$2500 ish, since it's listed at $2499. Also, all of RE's LA kits are the same price, from 3.5" to 5.5". 7.5" is only $30? more.

Not arguing with you, just clarifying.... And thank you for visiting my website! :D

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
waynehartwig said:
My apologies then, I misunderstood what you were saying.

A friend of mine from another board thought the same way you do, that RELA's are a waste of money... Until he drove one. Now he is robbing the kids penny banks, picking up cans on the freeways, etc... Anything to come up with the $'s to buy it! Currently he has a 4" tera/RE hybrid. RE coils and Tera arms with Daystar bushings.

To clear 35's, you really only need 3.5" of lift, just enough to get the tire out of the fender well. But when you get it on the trail, and start flexing it, 5.5" is barely enough. If you put stops in to keep them from rubbing, you would lose all of your flex! And that's not just RE, that's every manufacture. If I was shopping for kits, I would see who has the tallest lift to fit the smallest tire, because that's the lift with the most flex. An RE 4.5" superflex will fit 35" tires, but a RELA won't, you need 5.5" to fit them. LOT of travel!

Its all good.

I have heard that the RE kit rides nicely, and I don't doubt the quality. I just think that their lifts run a little on the tall side.
As far as losing all the flex, I would gladly give up a little uptravel to gain a more stable rig. I don't think that I will go above a 3 inch lift on my TJ, I will just trim the fenders and extend the bumpstops to fit 35's. I think that my TJ is a little scary on side hills compaired to my Rover, so the lower the better for my style of wheeling.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
That could be true... But I've had my rig WAY off camber before. We're talking 45-50* and never rolled. Scared the $hit out of me and others around me, but still stable. And that's with a 5.5" lift and 35" tires. It is a very stable suspension. Come out and play sometime, I'll even let you drive it!

jfonze

waynehartwig said:
$2500 ish, since it's listed at $2499. Also, all of RE's LA kits are the same price, from 3.5" to 5.5". 7.5" is only $30? more.

Not arguing with you, just clarifying.... And thank you for visiting my website! :D

My Bad...I was looking at the price of the ZJ Extreme duty long arm.

Last edited:

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
waynehartwig said:
That could be true... But I've had my rig WAY off camber before. We're talking 45-50* and never rolled. Scared the $hit out of me and others around me, but still stable. And that's with a 5.5" lift and 35" tires. It is a very stable suspension. Come out and play sometime, I'll even let you drive it!

Thats cool that you back what you sell! :cool:
I guess it is just more of a personal preference thing, I just know that I felt way more comfortable in my Rover on sidehills and steep climbs. When driving out of Mickey's Hot Tub this last weekend, it seemed that my Jeep with 2.5 inchs of lift was more stable than my Dads Rubi with 4.5 inchs of lift.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I don't only back what I sell, but I also USE it on the trails! If it won't work for me, I won't push it. I sell Skyjacker, Teraflex, Rubicon Express, Fabtech, Nth Degree, Rancho, Trailmaster, Superlift, Currie Enterprises, Tomken, Explorer Pro Comp, Tuff Country, Performance Accessories, Ground Force, Eibach, DJM Suspension, Belltech, and others that I can't think of. Point being, I sell just about every suspension made, and I really only push RE's. Time and time again, they prove themselves. Either on or off the trail, or in warranty, or service, etc... Somehow they keep proving themselves. And everyone is different when it comes to their goals on building their rigs. I get people asking me all the time for something that they really don't want. But they are asking for it because it's 'in' or their budy has it. I can't tell you how many times I've down sold something becuase they just don't need it. That would be the same with you as well. If you came to me wanting a RELA kit, I wouldn't sell it to you, I would put you in a 3.5" super ride or even a 2" budget lift. But that's just me...

Last edited:

Caleb

lenny said:
Its all good.

I have heard that the RE kit rides nicely, and I don't doubt the quality. I just think that their lifts run a little on the tall side.
As far as losing all the flex, I would gladly give up a little uptravel to gain a more stable rig. I don't think that I will go above a 3 inch lift on my TJ, I will just trim the fenders and extend the bumpstops to fit 35's. I think that my TJ is a little scary on side hills compaired to my Rover, so the lower the better for my style of wheeling.

3"...??? Hell, I believe Medsker on here is stock height with 35s and I dont think any rubbing...he did post a thread on it a little while ago. I agree about being low to keep stable...my buggy is just a little over 6' tall (thats shorter than most jeeps on 35s) with 39.5" tires and I still feel its just a little taller than I like, I would like under 6' :D

jfonze

Supergper said:
3"...??? Hell, I believe Medsker on here is stock height with 35s and I dont think any rubbing...he did post a thread on it a little while ago. I agree about being low to keep stable...my buggy is just a little over 6' tall (thats shorter than most jeeps on 35s) with 39.5" tires and I still feel its just a little taller than I like, I would like under 6' :D

Stock height and 35's? is he driving a TJ? if so all I can say is Damn... I had a 3" with 35's for a wile then I bumped to 4" and then up to 5.5" I think I might make my way back down to 4". For me the test is if I can take a panic turn at High speed. I tested out the 4" height at about 45-50 mph with the sway bar disconnected. I had to swerve to miss a dear. It handled suprisingly well... .

Caleb

jfonze said:
Stock height and 35's? is he driving a TJ? if so all I can say is Damn... I had a 3" with 35's for a wile then I bumped to 4" and then up to 5.5" I think I might make my way back down to 4". For me the test is if I can take a panic turn at High speed. I tested out the 4" height at about 45-50 mph with the sway bar disconnected. I had to swerve to miss a dear. It handled suprisingly well... .

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=19222

;)

JeeperG

I don't know crap about Tj's and I didn't read the whole thread but just curious have you ever seen George's setup? I believe its something like a 5" custom, short arm, with 35's. I have a pic of a poser ramp shot somewhere but pretty impressive.

100_0551.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

gksspot

waynehartwig said:
I really only push RE's. Time and time again, they prove themselves. Either on or off the trail, or in warranty, or service, etc... Somehow they keep proving themselves. But that's just me...

I have seen on the jeepforums that people absolutely hate their customer service. They call and never get helped- put on hold forever and everyone consistantly gets pissed off.

They do well cause they make decent stuff at a decent price that is durable and not gimmicky...

... well that is except for the drop bracket CA mount for the front suspension on XJs :rofl:

Speaking of gimmicky, skycrapper has to be one of the worst lifts for the the TJ that I have ever seen, do you sell many of those? I know people that dont know better- they think skyjkrs sh*& doesnt stink but if I were you Id steer them away from that crap!

pkrfctr

"What joints are you talking about, their Gyro Joint? Is that the one that they use a 2.5" trailer ball?

Bent arms or straight, there are arguments on both sides for which is better... Straight arms can be used as sliders. Bent arms don't contact the rocks as soon. Which is better? I think it's preference...

As for which is better off road, dunno there either.... The Nth Degree kit has a wicked unload on rocks. Badger pointed that out when you were trying to get up Waynes World. I could also say I made it up Waynes World without ANY troubles, or spinning a tire, when you didn't. In all fairness WW is all about the line. If you aren't on it, you aren't making it. It just doesn't matter how much you try.

I don't have any experience with Nth Degree stuff. I'm a dealer, I can sell it, but I don't. So you can't say I have a preference because I can/can't sell the item. I've looked at their (Nth's) and I think most of it is cheasy and hodge podged together....a bunch of widgets to make a kit. I've never seen anyone use so many muffler clamps on a $4,000 kit before! And to top it off, spacers?! I dunno.. I'll take a RE kit over a Nth anyday. Until I see more Nth's on the trail that I can look at and see perform, I have to stay that way. RE has proven itself over, and over, and over again on more rigs than just mine. Their quality, engineering, support, warranty, etc. It's at least one of the best in the industry."

Wayne are you serious??? If you sold thier stuff I would assume you at least knew what you where talking about. I am not running the nth kit. Jim completely redisgned the kit after he split ways with re. Mine is simply an re kit with a tucked center skid. So re must have wicked unload. I would venture to say you have never seen the nth kit off road so your comment of "wicked unload" is a crock of crap. I dont understand how someone who has never seen the kit on a rig can make such comments. And all BS aside the only reason you made it up waynes world and the rest of us didn't, is becouse it was stacked with rocks when you went first. Every rig threw rocks out, by the time I tried, there where no rocks stacked at all. your comments on cheesy hodge podge stuff is ridiculious. What of his stuff have you ever run??? anything? I Love how an actually jeep engineer can be accused of "hodge podge widgets". According to your comments ever u bolt on the planet is a muffler clamp. I must be ingorant becouse I've yet to see a hardened 3/4" thick muffler clamp before. Where did you see one?? I assume you've seen one based on your comment of all they use is muffler clamps.
bottom line until you've seen and driven the lift you have no merit to your opinion. I have done both and the kit rocks. I understand not everyone can afford it, we all do what we have to. Look at the airock kit for example.

Ok I'll get off my soapbox.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If someone comes to me asking for a certian item, I'll sell it. Some people are hard headed and set in their ways. Who am I to tell the customer he is wrong??? Teraflex and Skyjacker I sell to car dealerships mostly. As for me to customer, I sell them for mall getters, but nothing more. For that, they are perfect and very cheap!

I looked at Clayton's stuff, and I like it - it looks good! I may have to become a dealer for his items! :)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I saw one of their joints, not sure if it ever went to production or not, but it was nothing more than a 2-1/2" trailer ball and the rep commented that when it was manufactured, they would grind the lable off so you couldn't see what it actually was.

As for selling their items, I don't. About the only thing I have sold is their stingers and tummy tuckers. Like I said before, I discourage it. The high cost makes it easy as well.

As for installing thier stuff, or running it, nope. Not now, I doubt ever. Your kit is actualy the first Nth kit I have ever seen on the trails.

As for being an ex designer, ever thought why he isn't there anymore? Did he get fired or quit? To me that doesn't mean diddly... There are people on here that are much better designers than him. I will give him credit for originality, though.

As for unload, that wasn't my comment, Badger made that one (sorry for dragging you in Badger). If he has made that comment about my RELA kit, I've never heard it.

Like I said before, WW is all about the line. When I went up, I didn't use the stacked rocks. I was way to the right where they weren't stacked. I've also gone up it with absolutely no rocks stacked in front of it. So stacked rocks giving me that edge to get up, no, that's not it. Every single time I have made it up, I have walked up. The one time I didn't make it up, I fought with it for about 30 minutes before I gave up. I'm sure it was very entertaining to onlookers, because I beat the heck out of my rig trying to get up.

wipedawg

waynehartwig said:
I saw one of their joints, not sure if it ever went to production or not, but it was nothing more than a 2-1/2" trailer ball and the rep commented that when it was manufactured, they would grind the lable off so you couldn't see what it actually was.

As for selling their items, I don't. About the only thing I have sold is their stingers and tummy tuckers. Like I said before, I discourage it. The high cost makes it easy as well.

As for installing thier stuff, or running it, nope. Not now, I doubt ever. Your kit is actualy the first Nth kit I have ever seen on the trails.

As for being an ex designer, ever thought why he isn't there anymore? Did he get fired or quit? To me that doesn't mean diddly... There are people on here that are much better designers than him. I will give him credit for originality, though.

As for unload, that wasn't my comment, Badger made that one (sorry for dragging you in Badger). If he has made that comment about my RELA kit, I've never heard it.

Like I said before, WW is all about the line. When I went up, I didn't use the stacked rocks. I was way to the right where they weren't stacked. I've also gone up it with absolutely no rocks stacked in front of it. So stacked rocks giving me that edge to get up, no, that's not it. Every single time I have made it up, I have walked up. The one time I didn't make it up, I fought with it for about 30 minutes before I gave up. I'm sure it was very entertaining to onlookers, because I beat the heck out of my rig trying to get up.

I believe the picture speaks for itself...

445623_87.jpg

pkrfctr

waynehartwig said:
How far below the frame rails does the Nth hang? pkrfctr said it's about .5" less than RE's. That isn't tons.... Tons is going from the stock road grader, to the tummy tucker or RE's crossmember. I think either one will get you at least 2" more clearance. That's a ton!

Also, what do you do if you need to work on your transfer case? You have to pull out your entire suspension because the TT is one piece and the control arms and stinger bolts to it. RE you don't. Theirs is a three piece design, so you simply drop the center section, which in turn drops the transfer case.

I also play in big rocks. I've yet to get hung up on my control arms. I still think this is all preference... Bent or straight, use them as sliders or not.

the nth kit uses a flat skid (tummy tucker). I said my tucked skid(not nths) is 1 5/8" closer to the frame then the stock RELA kit. so the overall difference would be from the stock RELA center skid to the frame rails. whats that... about 4" or so.

Caleb

alright, so this thread is nearly a year old :D but I'm shopping (again) for myself this time, are there any other players in the TJ Long Arm market? Is the best bang for the buck still RE?

Wayne, you have the 5.5" RE kit with 35s right? Are you still street legal with that height? Now that it's been out for a while, is the RE tri-link worth it? It uses the rear axle diff cover for the upper mounts right? If so then I don't need to worry cause I won't be running stock axles so it won't work for me :p.

So, any new info I need to consider? :confused: