Booo! on Garfield County - "Deal aimed at paving famous Burr Trail switchbacks"

Kurt, I appreciate that you're representing OHV users (and full-size users in particular) on these and other issues. It's better to have a voice in the discussion than stay home and pout about not having influence.

If only we could be more involved as stakeholders (ala SUWA), but we know it's time and money that prevents this from happening on an organized and coordinated scale. So your voice is better than no voice at all, and that's appreciated.

Interesting comment about the current state bills. Great sentiment indeed, but practicalality is to be determined. Without a cooperative plan to provide user supported management, closure becomes the more likely choice of the land manager due to lack of resources. We can't say, "keep it open" and walk away. We have to say, "here's how we're going to help keep it open" and sit down at the table to talk about it (and then be able to actually follow-through).

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Very well said Kurt, thanks. I also had a meeting with SUWA and was able to get some mapping help for the project down in Cedar City in an effort to find so-called common ground. We will not change them and they will not change us. The extended RAC type meeting is a good idea that U4 will discuss at our next meeting with Juan Palma. By the way the RAC Nomination letters should be available for you and Curt next week not this week as planned. They have to be in by 3/12. Don't forget the RAC meeting on the 28th also. Chris Haller with State Parks will be there also. I lost use of my computer for about three days and you know I have trouble with trying to use the phone.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks for the great explanation and insight, Kurt. My initial reaction is likely similar, albeit much milder to those who find out that a respected guy such as yourself is wondering deep within enemy lines and oblivious to what the true intentions are. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks for the great explanation and insight, Kurt. My initial reaction is likely similar, albeit much milder to those who find out that a respected guy such as yourself is wondering deep within enemy lines and oblivious to what the true intentions are. :D

Well at least you asked the questions before jumping to the conclusions ;)

"Sorry Kurt, you just lost any respect I might of had for you - not that i have ever even met you. To think you can negotiate with or side with SUWA is straight out naive....

...If you are puporting to be representing anyone but yourself, its a big missrepresentation. I know of no one who would agree with your position. "

:D

Fwiw the 'other' thread has been deleted I'm assuming by the same guy that told me I was willing to give up hard trails in favor of gravel roads. When asked to explain that BS comment it was apparently easier to delete the thread :D

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Well at least you asked the questions before jumping to the conclusions ;)

"Sorry Kurt, you just lost any respect I might of had for you - not that i have ever even met you. To think you can negotiate with or side with SUWA is straight out naive....

...If you are puporting to be representing anyone but yourself, its a big missrepresentation. I know of no one who would agree with your position. "

:D

Fwiw the 'other' thread has been deleted I'm assuming by the same guy that told me I was willing to give up hard trails in favor of gravel roads. When asked to explain that BS comment it was apparently easier to delete the thread :D

Don't let anything like this stop you.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Don't let anything like this stop you.

Rest assured Jack, it will not. It was encouragement from folks like yourself, Tacoma, Andre and others that made me warm up to the idea in the first place and as I've noted I'm glad I did. Even if we fail to solve a current issue at least we have proved we can have an amicable meeting of collective thought and that relationship may prove valuable on future projects.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Booo on Garfield some more. Now they want to want to bring fleets of visitors down the Hole in the Rock Road:

"Garfield County has asked the Federal Highway Administration for $15 million dollars to improve the Hole-in-the-Rock road. They’d use it for drainage improvements and to put down gravel along the first 16 miles from Escalante to the Kane County line. Garfield County Commissioner Leland Pollock says they want to make it more inviting to visitors."

http://www.kuer.org/post/traveling-grand-staircase-hole-rock-road

By 2020, Garfield is going to have a boat launch ramp down the Hole-in-the-Rock cut to the lake :rolleyes:

I totally get the counties wanting to drive traffic for short-term economic reasons, but this line of thinking will destroy off-road routes in Utah and we are being used as pawns in the scheme to wrestle control from the feds. I'm sure I'm sounding like a broken record here but we have lost a growing number of 4x4 routes to the state and local governments. When considering technical/difficult trails... we have lost or stand to lose more at the hands of our 'local' governments. I know, I know "they are starving to death down there, let them build an economy" :rolleyes:

Last edited: