Maintenance notes:
- timing belt, pulley, water pump, serpentine belt all done at 90k
- new tires at 75k
- switched to synthetic motor oil at 99,500
- Battery Replaced with Die Hard Deep Cycle Marine Group 31 @ 102k
- New tires @ 102,500

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

After almost two years with my 2002 doublecab tacoma Carlos, I decided to sell it and move on to something more street friendly. I bought a Mitsubishi Montero for about 1/3 the price I sold the tacoma for. I thought it would be everything I ever wanted in a rig, but after a few weeks I didn't bond with it and I found it fell short of the toyota reliability I had gotten used to over time. So I ended up replacing it with Lorenzo, a 2005 v8 4runner.

I've had 3 3rd gen 4runners before. I think it's funny how 4Runners cost more than tacomas when new, but they depreciate faster and end up being worth less than tacomas, despite many more luxurious features that the tacomas never had. I struggled to bond with my last runner Carla (now owned by Kevin B.), mainly due to the small luggage space and my need at that time for a tailgate to do my cooking on. I have since gotten into backpacking, so my gear has gotten much smaller, and while I still think a doublecab tacoma is the perfect rig for me, they're still $10k over the price of a 4Runner and I no longer need a tailgate to do my cooking. This runner has the v8, leather, and every option. It's an awesome experience to drive it. I'm really happy with it.

Things I LOVE about this runner:
- now that I have a toyota again I can stay a member of the Wasatch Cruisers Club
- toyota reliability. In my mind, this is one of toyota's finest motors
- 5 doors
- I love the color. Galactic grey mica
- awd
- awesome sound system
- I've never had a rig with nav before. I need to update it.
- back-up camera is really nice to have
- i like the little convex mirrors on the rear upper corners for ease in parking
- POWER. I try not to mash the gas pedal, but the throaty sound of the v8 followed by the instant torque is addictive. It rarely downshifts up big hills.
- gear is covered from the elements and locked inside
- power rear window that you can roll down. I LOVE this feature.
- traction control, center diff lock, 4-low with and hill decent
- room for gear in the back
- it has a fully boxed frame from tip to tail
- roof rack integrated
- tow hitch integrated
- awesome fog lights
- so much info online about these vehicles. Every part of the vehicle has its own thread with lots of info on it.

Shortcomings:
- awd all the time (more tire wear, drivetrain wear, mpg hit)
- low ground clearance
- soccer mom car styling
- leather wears faster than cloth
- low headroom in these vehicles
- sunroof reduces the already low headroom, and I never use the sunroof
- mpg isn't awesome
- no bed for dirty and wet items
- the dvd player in the ceiling limits headroom and is already outdated. With tablets being so popular, I don't imagine I'll ever use the DVD player
- 4runner owners are weird, I hope not to become one of the weird ones.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

All builds should start with a goal. My goals with this rig, prioritized from first to last:

1) reliability
2) comfortable, safe, and capable for road trips at highway speeds.
3) able to get me and 3 other passengers and gear to our backpacking and camping trailheads in inclement weather
4) keep the fuel economy above 16 mpg mixed
5) improve the looks
6) don't built it to be huge. These rigs aren't very capable even with 35s and lockers, so I'm not going to go that route.
7) keep it relatively close to stock, or easy to go back to stock for when i sell it someday.

Here's what it will probably look like in a year:

- different wheels
- removable storage/sleeping platform
- more miles on the odometer
- no bumper, no winch, no skids, and probably no sliders
- small lift with LR UCAs (but keeping stock components in case I ever decide to sell it)

Last edited:

Coco

I was going to say the same thing. Put the plate winch bumper on the front of it! Man they look good with them

Let me know when your ready to sell it Steve, hopefully I will be in a position to buy it from you at that point :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Some more pics of it in stock trim before I change anything. Sorry for the overload of pics, but they help me keep track of what it once looked like.

20140811_193659.jpg

20140811_193705.jpg

20140811_193713.jpg

20140811_193720.jpg

20140811_193731.jpg

20140811_193742.jpg

20140811_193750.jpg

20140811_193755.jpg

20140811_193802.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Just bumpers and sliders will get rid of that soccer mom look. Can't think of any other bonuses to include with the bumpers and sliders though.

sixstringsteve

Just bumpers and sliders will get rid of that soccer mom look. Can't think of any other bonuses to include with the bumpers and sliders though.

Agreed. A bumper could help protect me from deer, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet. I think the shape of the headlights/hood are what make it look like a highlander.

sixstringsteve

can anyone recommend a good rear cargo mat for wet items? I think I want something with a ~ 2" lip so if I put a mostly dry kayak in the back it'll drain and not get all over the carpet. Any ideas?

sixstringsteve

If I could find a low-profile, non-winch aluminum bumper, I'd probably get it. I think shrockworks makes the sexiest bumpers out there, but probably overkill for what I need.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Does it still have the previous owner's plates on it, just curious how you got hard plates on it so fast? Are you planning to remove the running boards, that will help with the soccer mom look.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
can anyone recommend a good rear cargo mat for wet items? I think I want something with a ~ 2" lip so if I put a mostly dry kayak in the back it'll drain and not get all over the carpet. Any ideas?

I had a Canvasback in my Explorer, it was great. If you want something a little more rigid, Weathertech makes a cargo liner with a lip.

sixstringsteve

Does it still have the previous owner's plates on it, just curious how you got hard plates on it so fast? Are you planning to remove the running boards, that will help with the soccer mom look.

I bought it from a private party so I was able to get plates the next day.

No plans to remove the running boards, they serve a purpose for me right now. They help protect the driver's seat bolster when getting in and out. I don't mind the looks of the running boards for now.