Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2005 4Runner Lorenzo

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
There is a guy named Brady at the Big O in Cottonwood Heights that does alignments for a lot of the local guys on Jeep Forum. I'm sure he would do it to your specs. He's got a CJ7 and is pretty funny. I've BS'ed with him while he worked on mine the two times I've taken it to him.

sixstringsteve

Cool. I've got a pretty good guy near my house, but if he has problems getting it close to my specs, I'll look Brady up. Thanks.

sixstringsteve

A pic of the stock setup:

20140820_192941.jpg

After the front 2.5" daystar lift:
20140821_111956.jpg

20140821_112006.jpg

sixstringsteve

Here are my instructions to the alignment tech. Pay attention to the underlined part:

20140821_211254.jpg

Now take a look at my camber numbers. Does those numbers look equal to you?

20140821_173602.jpg

I asked the tech why they didn't match like I asked, and he just said "I couldn't take the left front any higher or it would throw off the other numbers." I was fed up by that point and I didn't want to cause a scene so I left. I'm never going to "My Tire Guys" again. This wasn't my first poor experience with them, but it will be my last. I'm upset with the alignment, and I'm not thrilled with the lift either.

The old daystar model went inside the strut and preloaded the spring, so it rode a bit stiffer. I didn't do enough research, and the new model rides on top of the strut, which doesn't preload the spring at all. So it doesn't ride any stiffer than stock. It rides just like stock, only a bit taller, which makes it feel a bit more top-heavy. I don't think I'll stick with these lift spacers for long, so if anyone's looking for a cheap set of daystar 2.5/1.5 spacers, hit me up. I'd rather have it stock than the way it is, especially if it can't be aligned better.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Part of me wants to throw OME coils up front with LR UCAs and the other part of me just wants to go to stock, or put some 1" taller and stiffer springs up front. I don't think I want the added height of the OME setup, but I love their ride quality. I'm torn. I'd like 1.5" up front and stock height out back, with 20% stiffer springs.

STAG

On my grind
How about airbags or an overload spring? That way you have your ride quality when you want it, and the extra-weight support when you need it. Both would be fine for your off-roading.

sixstringsteve

I like the way you're thinking. i'm not interested in airbags, i've seen too many failures offroad. It's got coils all around, so I can't run overload springs.

I may just swap a slightly stiffer and longer OME spring up front and run the stock shock. I wonder how it would ride with stock rear coils.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

There is a guy named Brady at the Big O in Cottonwood Heights that does alignments for a lot of the local guys on Jeep Forum. I'm sure he would do it to your specs. He's got a CJ7 and is pretty funny. I've BS'ed with him while he worked on mine the two times I've taken it to him.

Thanks Nate I'll keep it in mind

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The old daystar model went inside the strut and preloaded the spring, so it rode a bit stiffer. I didn't do enough research, and the new model rides on top of the strut, which doesn't preload the spring at all. So it doesn't ride any stiffer than stock. It rides just like stock, only a bit taller, which makes it feel a bit more top-heavy. I don't think I'll stick with these lift spacers for long, so if anyone's looking for a cheap set of daystar 2.5/1.5 spacers, hit me up. I'd rather have it stock than the way it is, especially if it can't be aligned better.

I wasn't happy with a recent alignment either... and a friend advised that I go to a specific alignment shop, which I didn't even know existed. Looks like we have one in AF! I might drop off the JK there this week... http://alignment-guys.com/

STAG

On my grind
Doh I feel dumb. For some reason I was thinking leafs in the rear! But hey, while we are at it, you can run a single overload leaf spring in the rear... But it would definitely not be an "invisible" modification.

Jesser04

Are you going try the other style of lift? If you want to drive one with it installed before you buy it your more than welcome to come drive ours. The spacers made a big difference with the top heavy feeling.

sixstringsteve

Thanks jesser, I would be interested in that. I wonder if I can still order the old style. I'd also like to test drive one with an ome setup.

sixstringsteve

Even though I'm not thrilled with the lift, I do like the look. It looks a lot more capable than stock. And after all, our mods are for looks, not capability, right? I like that it doesn't look like a lifted vehicle, but it doesn't look like a minivan either.

20140822_075131.jpg

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Steve have you looked into putting stock fj cruiser suspension on? The interner tells me it offers a stiffer ride and a lift.

sixstringsteve

looking at the spring chart above, they're not tons stiffer. I'm getting used to this ride. It rides like stock (soft), only taller. I was expecting the fronts to be stiffer, but oh well. It'll be fine until I decide what I want. I do see OME and LR UCAs in my future though.

sixstringsteve

If I do go with OMEs, it'll be:

885s up front and either 895s in the back, or toytech superflex rear coils (10% stiffer than stock, 2" lift). I'd use the nitrocharger sport struts, and get some LR UCAs. That's going to set me back a pretty penny though, so I may hold out a while.