General Tech Building a light recreational trail buggy

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
(Split from the Rear Steer Axle build thread)

Also I want more details on this. What wheels are turning in that dome of yours?

Probably that he followed buggies around all weekend and now wants one. 🤷

I want something light weight, that I can actually see out of, that's not crazy loud and annoying on the trail.

Ecotec 2.0T, 700R4, Atlas 5.0, ORI's, SD60 front and something in the rear with steering.

Chassis around 48" wide, with enough room inside for a 6' 4" guy and around a 106-108" WB. 40" tires, maybe 42's if I can afford them.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I want something light weight, that I can actually see out of, that's not crazy loud and annoying on the trail.

2.0T, 700R4, Atlas 5.0, ORI's, SD60 front and something in the rear with steering.

Chassis around 48" wide, with enough room inside for a 6' 4" guy and around a 106-108" WB. 40" tires, maybe 42's if I can afford them.
Mad Cow has his buggy for sale 😬
IMG_1635.jpeg
@Hickey Says I can help you with a down payment on the Goat

Greg

Admin
Mad Cow has his buggy for sale 😬
View attachment 166239
@Hickey Says I can help you with a down payment on the Goat

Can't afford that for sure! The Goat will stick around and continue to get upgraded and repaired, if I even start a buggy build it would be a long term project. I want to keep the TJ in the meantime, so I'm not without a rig for the hard trails.

The Goat works good for 90% of the wheelin I'll do.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Can't afford that for sure! The Goat will stick around and continue to get upgraded and repaired, if I even start a buggy build it would be a long term project. I want to keep the TJ in the meantime, so I'm not without a rig for the hard trails.

The Goat works good for 90% of the wheelin I'll do.
I can’t afford it either even with the family discount 😂😂

Greg

Admin
I dig a quiet rig rock crawling. A nice muffler setup might kill a few HPs but it makes the whole spotting thing so much nicer 😉

The Goat is as quiet as it's going to get, believe me I've tried... I have a lot of $$$ tied up in mufflers I couldn't fit, or were too loud. It's still loud as hell.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
this is also the theme of my new build, i want light, capable, easily sourced parts, and yes QUIET! well quiet as a V8 can be without huge performance loss. if not there is still headsets and tunes. chassis ideally will be close to what you've stated but I'm going to push 120" WB. my last rig felt great on steep climbs with that wheel base and having the rear steer made easy work of maneuvering in tight places. what belly height ya thinking? i plan 24" for mine. the mango was 28" and it was kinda sail boat feeling but there were a few other factors on that subject but belly height would have helped feel more secure if it was lower

Agility Customs

Vendor
this is also the theme of my new build, i want light, capable, easily sourced parts, and yes QUIET! well quiet as a V8 can be without huge performance loss. if not there is still headsets and tunes. chassis ideally will be close to what you've stated but I'm going to push 120" WB. my last rig felt great on steep climbs with that wheel base and having the rear steer made easy work of maneuvering in tight places. what belly height ya thinking? i plan 24" for mine. the mango was 28" and it was kinda sail boat feeling but there were a few other factors on that subject but belly height would have helped feel more secure if it was lower

IMO a small light weight car should have 104-108ish wheelbase with a 18-20" belly height. I have never not made it up something cause my wheelbase was to short.

Greg

Admin

I would build something for my local trails, stuff like 21 Road, Billings Canyon, Montrose and of course, the hard Moab trails including Area BFE. Sand Hollow is super fun and technical, but 6 hours from me.

I would probably shoot for a belly height around 20", not super low but also not tall. With most of my local trails being boulder canyons and short ledges, keeping the wheelbase a bit short and belly height average would be best IMO.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
IMO a small light weight car should have 104-108ish wheelbase with a 18-20" belly height. I have never not made it up something cause my wheelbase was to short.

I would build something for my local trails, stuff like 21 Road, Billings Canyon, Montrose and of course, the hard Moab trails including Area BFE. Sand Hollow is super fun and technical, but 6 hours from me.

I would probably shoot for a belly height around 20", not super low but also not tall. With most of my local trails being boulder canyons and short ledges, keeping the wheelbase a bit short and belly height average would be best IMO.

both fair points! Around our area is kind of the same as Greg but being closer to Moab and Sand hollow makes me want a slightly longer wheelbase and a well balanced drivetrain/gear weight in the rig.

Last edited: