Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've been leaving my mummy bag open to use it sort of like a quilt, and I'm a big fan. Gonna find out in a couple weeks if I still like it like that in the winter. :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I've been leaving my mummy bag open to use it sort of like a quilt, and I'm a big fan. Gonna find out in a couple weeks if I still like it like that in the winter. :)

Watch out kevin! That is how I started and now I can't stand sleeping bags :)

sixstringsteve

I used to think I liked being swaddled, but I definitely prefer the comfort of a quilt (unless it's super cold and I'm under-dressed). Going back to a bag for winter temps has been more of a transition than I thought it would.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I bought a couple Thermarest quilts in the xl size a few years ago, I cant stand sleeping bags anymore. Sometimes I will snap it to a Tech Blanket if I want it to have a bottom and I have sheets on my mattresses so I can snap it to them, I just wish they weren't so much money.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I bought a couple Thermarest quilts in the xl size a few years ago, I cant stand sleeping bags anymore. Sometimes I will snap it to a Tech Blanket if I want it to have a bottom and I have sheets on my mattresses so I can snap it to them, I just wish they weren't so much money.

They are too expensive, but man are they nice. The ventra quilt was my first quilt and both my wife and I have one. My kids spend several night a year in just a tech blanket. Those are cool too.

Xiled1

For those using quilts, do you toss and turn a lot at night? I went with a MontBell super stretch hugger and love it. It stretches when you need to move and then cinches back up for warmth. The problem I have is that I roll over alot, especially from side to side. That puts the compressed down that used to be underneath me on the outside and I get cold till it fluffs up. With a quilt, I would expect to get air drafts from the sides when I toss and turn. I've always though the best solution would be a Montbell stretch top, with a pad on the bottom, similar to what Big Anges does. That way, if I roll over, the pad stays on the bottom. I've got some big ages 20* bags and they are not all that warm, even with the 0* pad in them. Pretty similar to my Montbell 30*. Has anyone discovered a better system while still keeping it light?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I do roll around a lot when I sleep. That is probably the number one reason I like quilts. I didn't have good luck with the big agnes stuff, the sleeve system on the bottom didn't work out for me. Some people love it, but I would rather have a separate quilt and pad.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I am usually all over the place if im camping so I really like the quilt because it just stays on top of me. Its pretty dang light and using it with a Xtherm pad I have slept in the mid 20's and im still here typing. Granted if its really cold and Im not back packing Im using a whole different sleeping system.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So neither of you get drafts from the side of the quilt lifting off the pad? Do you use staps or just lay it on top of you?

I just lay it on top of me. If the drafts start making me cold I just sort of wrap up in the blanket, like what I do at home. It is important that there aren't gaps. either the pad needs to be wide enough for the quilt to touch it or the quilt needs to have enough room to touch the ground. A wider pad is better for warmth with a quilt in most cases.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'd rack up a lot more winter bag nights with one of these.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...ype=GNU&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104795280;cat104770080

I just crawled inside one at Cabelas, and I'm in love. It's HUGE, with a rubberized bottom, a drawstring neck, and DWR canvas on top. 25 pounds of toasty warm. I'll have one for next winter for sure, it's awesome.

I've been leaving my mummy bag open to use it sort of like a quilt, and I'm a big fan. Gonna find out in a couple weeks if I still like it like that in the winter.
smile.gif

And just for the record, I do not like it like that in the winter. Nossir.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
So. Quilts. Permanently closed footbox? Configurable footbox with snaps or buttons or drawcord or ? Baffles on the sides or straps under the pad?

I'm thinking snaps and drawcord for the footbox and removable straps to keep the quilt on top of me, but I have no first hand experience to go on, so quilt people tell me your preferences and why if you please.

sixstringsteve

if you're hammocking (which I know you do from time to time), look at one with drawstrings on both ends so you can put it around your entire hammock.

I like a zippable footbox with a drawstring at the end for the most versatility. In reality, sewn would be ok for most all of my camping except summer, and for that I have a different quilt... I like the removable straps(elastic) to keep it in place. I haven't used baffles, but the way I toss and turn, I can't imagine that would be enough. The only thing I don't like about the straps is getting them connected when I setup as the connectors on my quilts (EE) are not too convenient to connect. I need to fix that.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
The only thing I don't like about the straps is getting them connected when I setup as the connectors on my quilts (EE) are not too convenient to connect. I need to fix that.

Help me picture this. Do your straps attach to your pad and your quilt, or do they attach just to the quilt and pass under the pad? How many straps?

Help me picture this. Do your straps attach to your pad and your quilt, or do they attach just to the quilt and pass under the pad? How many straps?

First, I'll warn you that mine are older quilts, so they have changed their strapping system to be a little (or maybe a lot) more convenient. Here is the new system.

Mine have 3 elastic straps - think tiny shock cord. They attach to loops sewn in 3 places along each side of the quilt, starting several inches above the foot box. The straps go under the pad and connect to the quilt on each side. You snug them up as tightly as desired to your pad. The only inconvenient thing about mine is they are this style of connector, and it is a little awkward to get the shock cord in.
Clasp.jpg

Rock Taco

So. Quilts. Permanently closed footbox? Configurable footbox with snaps or buttons or drawcord or ? Baffles on the sides or straps under the pad?

I'm thinking snaps and drawcord for the footbox and removable straps to keep the quilt on top of me, but I have no first hand experience to go on, so quilt people tell me your preferences and why if you please.

Mine is permanently closed. I have no baffles and have never used any of the straps (my pad would have to be inside with me for them to work)

So if you've never used a quilt, one thing that might not be readily apparent is that the sleeping pad goes under the footbox, so the foot part is just like a sleeping bag, where from the knees up, you are directly on the pad and the quilt is next to the pad.