Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

ozzy702

Welcome! You really have to be careful when reading through gear snob reviews. As Steve mentioned above, sometimes the complaints that these reviewers have are absurd.

Tonkaman

Thanks to DAA and ozzy702 I ended up buying a Kelty cosmic down 20 and a different compression sack. I was going back and forth for a while I went to buy a 30* quilt backcountry had a few weeks ago but by the time I went to pay they sold the only one that was in stock then this week I found out they won't be getting more so I decided based on these reviews and the price to give it a shot. It does compress surprisingly well and I think it will fit my dirtbike camping needs great. Thanks for the help guys.
What is the actual compressed size vs what it said in the specs?

D

Deleted member 12904

What is the actual compressed size vs what it said in the specs?

The spec is just a stuff sack. I didn't measure but I'm guessing 6x13 in the compression sack. The bag was $120ish and the compression sack another 8ish

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I snagged a couple Mountain Hardware Lamina 35 degree bags last for my kids. They look like a pretty nice bag, 2 lbs 4.3 oz in the stuff sack and are 5" x 10" so really compact. I picked them up at Sierra Trading post for $80.97 each, going to give them a try in a week or so. I don't mind last years model stuff when you can save $100 a bag.

Rock Taco

So I am about to pull the trigger on a Zpacks 20 degree. My plan is to use this bag all year round. I'm pretty sure I will do less than 5 trips a year near the 20 degree rating. I can add a quilt during that time to add some warmth. Do any of you see a flaw in my logic?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If someone is going to spend a good chunk of money on one rating of bag, a 20 degree is the one.

should keep you warm most of the year.

D

Deleted member 12904

So an update on the cheap down sleeping bag. I finally made it out ant used the cheap kelty down bag and couldn't be happier with it. It compressed down more than I had even planned and kept me plenty warm when the weather dropped into the high 30*s No tent just used the thermarest pad I picked up from mesha and a tarp. So far Im happy I didn't spend more on a summer bag.

DAA

So an update on the cheap down sleeping bag...

Cool beans.

I have one backpacking trip/4 nights in my new Zpacks 30*. The first night was well below 30* and I was wishing for a warmer bag. But the weight, compression, overall construction, sizing/fit comfort etc. I'm all good with. And, I stayed warm on nights that weren't below the bags rating, too.

- DAA

Rock Taco

I ordered my Zpacks 20 degree. I borrowed Mesha's 30 and used it a couple nights and dont have one bad thing to say about it. Cant wait for it to get here. :D

sixstringsteve

I have zero experience with Alps Mountaineering. I do know that temp ratings really don't have a standard across companies. In other words, I could make a bag and call it whatever temp rating I want. Some companies rate their bags as a "comfort level" as in, you'll be comfortable/warm at 0*. Others rate it as a survival rating, as in "you'll survive at 0*" and others just seem to arbitrarily pick a number out of a hat to try to sell more. :)

You can also layer bags to boost the warmth. You could take your summer bag and put it inside that alps mountaineering and you should be really toasty. For that price, it seems like a good option. I have two different 0* bags from different companies, and one is at least 15* warmer than the other. One will keep me warm down to 0 to 5*, and the other will keep me warm down to about 15 to 20*

Another thing I've learned is how important fit is. I freeze in huge sleeping bags, so I like to get one that doesn't have much dead air space in it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

What conditions will you be sleeping in? Meaning, in a tent? In the middle of a snowstorm? What temps do you expect it to get outside? What's your budget?

DAA

I do know that temp ratings really don't have a standard across companies.

Actually, there is a standard. Just not all companies adhere to it. But if the bag is EN rated, it's a pretty solid apples to apples comparison to other bags with the same EN temp rating. And with a little bit of experience in how you personally fare in a bag of particular EN rating, you can have reasonable confidence in extrapolating that to other bags.

You're right that most companies don't subject their bags to EN testing/rating though. And for those, anything goes. My car camping bag (I use the same one, year round), is "rated" for -30F. Minus Thirty Freaking Degrees. I bet if it were EN rated, it would be a +10 degree bag (survival). It's one of the huge ones Steve hates, but I love it. Weighs 16 pounds, canvas duck shell, flannel lined, 40" wide, 7' long, etc. Been keeping me comfy at night for about 20 years now. I just unzip it when it's warm, wear long johns to bed when it's cold.

- DAA

I'm looking for a new winter sleeping bag. I don't really care about size or weight just that I get something warm. Im looking at this because its $44 with brocode and has decent reviews. anyone have any feed back or experience with this brand of bag? Im mostly interested in the temp ratings. http://www.backcountry.com/alps-mountaineering-crescent-lake-sleeping-bag-0-degree-synthetic

I have Alps bags for my boys. They seem to be pretty high quality. Since I haven't slept in one, I can't comment as to rating. My boys have never complained, but they are all pretty warm sleepers.

D

Deleted member 12904

What conditions will you be sleeping in? Meaning, in a tent? In the middle of a snowstorm? What temps do you expect it to get outside? What's your budget?

Usually my Kodiak canvas tent or the back of a vehicle. Seems like a couple years ago it dipped into the -0* at FYTO but if that's the case I would plan accordingly. I don't really have a "budget" as much as I like to buy things that will fit my needs when I can find them on close out or for really good deals. Basically Im not going to buy a winter bag in June for retail price.

Rock Taco

So I ordered a 20 degree zpacks bag about 9 weeks ago (5/18 to be exact) and have yet to receive it. They told me at first they were about 6-7 weeks due to the owners being on a trip. So I knew that going in. They asked me when I placed my order if I had a deadline that I needed the bag by. I thought I was being nice about it and chose to not give them a deadline as I didnt have anything planned that required that bag.

On 7/2 I sent an email asking for the status of my bag and if they could give me an estimate ship date. "It looks like we will be getting to your bag next week. Sorry for the delay, we've just been slammed." was the response I received which meant to me that it would be shipped the next week.

Then on 7/12 I inquired again and was told "My apologies for the delay. We are falling behind a bit. The good news is that your bag looks like it is going to be shipping out on Tuesday or Wednesday."

So when i didnt receive the bag or an email telling me it had shipped by Friday 7/18 I sent them another inquiry about my bag. And this is the response I get.

Good morning Troy,

I am really sorry about the delay, and misinformation. This is what happened.

We are completely out of Pertex GL shell fabric right now. We ordered more material way back on May 1st but it has taken forever to get to us (almost 3 months by the time it will reach us). The material is done finally and is shipping from Japan on Monday.

In the mean time, your sleeping bag was already cut out and was in the process of being made when Matt told you it would ship last Tuesday.

The problem is the seamster who was working on your bag decided he would switch it with a different order without telling us. We would not have been able to make the other customer's due date w/o doing the switch, due to the fabric shortage.

We do our best to make sure anyone who has requested their order for a trip gets it in time, and sometimes those orders have to be prioritized over orders that did not request a due date. Every customer is given the opportunity to request a due date, and we do our best to make the most customers happy.

I realize that in this case you got shafted. This is what I can do given the circumstances.

1) I could refund another $50 discount from your order to make it up to you. Your order will go out as soon as the Pertex GL material arrives.

2) I could do my best to piece together a bag using the remnants of material that I have left. I would likely have to do the outer shell in Gray .95 oz/sqyd Pertex Quantum. That material is a little stronger but would add about 1.25 ounces to your bag. It could ship Express in a day or two so that you have it for this weekend.

3) I could cancel / refund your order.

If you do decide to place any orders in the future I urge you to give us a due date. Even if it is just the date that happens to be 5 or 6 weeks out.

Best regards,

Joe Valesko

My problem here is I still have no solid date with the information they have given me. Just that the material is shipping from Japan today. I don't know if its coming on a slow boat from Japan or if its being shipped over night. Then you have the build time of the bag itself and then shipping to me.

So what would you guys do in this situation? Do you think what they are offering is fair compensation? I really want this bag and this is the largest investment in a bag I have ever made.