Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

sixstringsteve

This quilt looks like a great lightweight option too. I like the ability to order it with water resistant foot and head areas (like GoLite).

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/?product=enigma-0#!prettyPhoto

I may get one of these just to be different from Davy. I copy everything else Davy does, maybe I'll venture out. Weights look the same as zpacks. The big question is, does it come with a cuben stuff sack like the zpacks?

Last edited:

DAA

I hadn't seen EE's newer stuff. The Enigma line looks killer. For a quilt person... Wish I was ready to make that leap. The Enigma 30* in long/wide is only 16.25 oz.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Enlightened seems to make nice stuff. It would be good to try them out. I think kevin kemp on here has used their stuff before. Maybe he will chime in. They used to be heavier than I liked, I will have to see what they changed to cut weight. They are narrower than the packs by a couple inches. For some that might be nice.

Jami and I have almost pulled the trigger on a few of the enlightened childrens quilts like 10 times. We just haven't done it yet.

Last edited:
I love my EE RevelationX, but I haven't tried any other quilts to compare it with. You are welcome to try it out if that would help. I think it is a long wide 20 degree.

sixstringsteve

hm... I may have to swing by and check out the sizing on it if you don't mind unimog. How do you wear it? With your head poking out the top, cinched around your neck? Are you a back sleeper?

sixstringsteve

I hadn't seen EE's newer stuff. The Enigma line looks killer.

Same here. I was aware of their heavier stuff, but this enigma line looks great, especially with the reinforced water-resistant ends (that's worth an oz to me).

The price is crazy on these. I haven't done much research, but they look similar to what we're looking at:
http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-0/

Javon Dempsey (the stateless society) also seems to make some killer stuff. I cant' find a website, just a FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Stateless-Society/171421429546225
https://plus.google.com/photos/111776174492184304569/albums/5480940189493911601?banner=pwa
javan.dempsey@gmail.com

Darn, looks like they're out of business.

Last edited:
I'm a thrashing side-sleeper. If it is cold, I cinch around my neck and wear a beanie. I get a comfortable sound sleep at 20 degrees with just a base layer and neoair xtherm and I generally sleep cold. At 30 or above, I leave the top open. 40 or above, I have to open the side or bottom up. It has small bungies that keep it sealed to the pad above the bottom zipper. I fit the extra long (I'm 6'2") and I like the extra wide more than I thought - just makes it easier to move around in. I'd be happy to let you take a look or try.

sixstringsteve

I like the way vertical baffles don't drain down to the sides of the bag. I'm 99% I want that enigma now, it seems like just what I want. Now to decide what size.

Unimog, can you pull the bag up past your eyes?

sixstringsteve

bummer, I'm not able to get an Enigma in time for my Jan 1st trip. That's to be expected for custom hand-built stuff though. Bummer. I was hoping to test it out on that trip. I may pick up a zpacks instead...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
bummer, I'm not able to get an Enigma in time for my Jan 1st trip. That's to be expected for custom hand-built stuff though. Bummer. I was hoping to test it out on that trip. I may pick up a zpacks instead...

so you will be winter camping the 1st and the 2nd in different places? you are hardcore :)

sixstringsteve

It turns out the Enigma bag weights are "mathematically calculated." They haven't actually built them yet, so take those weights with a big grain of salt.

sixstringsteve

Well, I just ordered a 10* wide xtra long zpakcs. I decided to keep the zipper; I just can't quite commit to ditching it and it only adds .6 oz. I hope the bag is long enough to cover my head in case I want to hunker down. The cool part is that it weighs the same as my WM Megalite (30* bag) yet it's rated 20* lower. I feel this is a step in the right direction for my winter sleep system.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Well, I just ordered a 10* wide xtra long zpakcs. I decided to keep the zipper; I just can't quite commit to ditching it and it only adds .6 oz. I hope the bag is long enough to cover my head in case I want to hunker down. The cool part is that it weighs the same as my WM Megalite (30* bag) yet it's rated 20* lower. I feel this is a step in the right direction for my winter sleep system.

Cool! I sent a message to Zpacks about the rubbery feeling in my bag. It looks like they are going to switch it out for me if I want. I have had the bag for quite awhile now. pretty awesome customer service if you ask me. I will let you guys now what ends up happening. The rubbery feeling really isn't bad at all.

sixstringsteve

Wow, that's amazing customer service. I agree, the rubbery feeling isn't bad, just unexpected. It threw me for a loop because I didn't just slide right in. Is he going to exchange it for whichever bag you want? If so, that's awesome.

Rock Taco

It is pretty dang warm. I am kind of thinking I can use a 30 degree along with a 30 degree bag for winter time.
Probably the coolest thing about this bag is the fact that you can use it all year, but it is as light as almost any other summer bag. In my next one I am also going to order it with no zipper. Most people like the zipper, but I have never slept with it zipped so I figure I don't need it.

I didnt want to clog up Davy's for sale thread so I am putting this here. So you would rather pack 2 bags in the winter instead of having a separate 3 season bag and a winter bag?

On another note whats the real difference between a quilt and a sleeping bag. Seems quilts dont have zippers or any fill on the bottom but some sleeping bags dont have that either. Why have one over the other?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I didnt want to clog up Davy's for sale thread so I am putting this here. So you would rather pack 2 bags in the winter instead of having a separate 3 season bag and a winter bag?

On another note whats the real difference between a quilt and a sleeping bag. Seems quilts dont have zippers or any fill on the bottom but some sleeping bags dont have that either. Why have one over the other?

separate winter bag and summer bag and fall bag would be better. :D

If I am being honest I will end up just buying another winter bag too. I won't be happy carrying two separate bags.

Last edited: