Can anyone help me??? Suggestions???

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Hey everyone, as some of you may know im a senior at Jordan high school and I have less then a month tell graduation. Well it turns out that the day i graduate my last payment on my Jeep is do so it will officially be mine. So as my graduation present to myself, i was really hoping to get my rear longarm kit from Kevins Offroad (which is claytons kit).

Now for my question. Sense i really would like to do this myself i was wondering if someone could help me. The problem is i cant weld, and the kit requires welding 2 brackets to the unibody, also the truss to the axle. So it would just require a bit of measuring, and re-measuring, then it would be ready to weld on.

So the second part to this is the trick, I am going to do an axle swap (8.8) and t-case swap (231) at the same time.

So if i was to order all the brackets for the axle and have them welded on already, could someone help me with the long arm portion of the welding? Or could someone weld the brackets on the axle for me also?

I would really like to do this myself, but if i cant get someones help i will be paying a shop to do the axle swap and longarm setup. So in this last resort does anyone have suggestions on where to get it done? How much it would cost? How long it would take? I am willing to pay anyone that can help me and i can do it at my house, or any other place.

Thanks in advance.... P.S-- This is a rear long arm setup only. Axle and Transfer case in hand, waiting for graduation to purchase LA's

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
That could be a lot of work and some liability for someone to help out of their garage one day. But if you have a buddy or someone you know help you I am sure it is very possible. But you may call a few shops to see what they sugget and can price quote you on. I would think that the guys at Teraflex Plus would be a good one to call, and other option would be The Rad Jeeper. There are a list of other shops that would do great work too, but I have a feeling you can get it faster and cheaper from one of those two.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Like Rusted said, there is a lot more work involved than you realize. Packing up welders and grinders and stuff and taking them to someone's house is a major PITA, and do you even have a place to plug in a welder? I think you underestimate the amount of work that goes into preparing to weld on the new brackets. You cant just hold them in place and weld. You have to clean all the grease, dirt, and paint off everything. This is a messy, time consuming, and labor intensive process, and wire wheels are expensive and can wear out quickly with this kind of work. If the work is not done right, you could end up with an unsafe vehicle, and no one wants that liability. I think you are asking more than you realize. I'm more than willing to help people out, but you have to be reasonable. I would suggest you take it to Ben Hanks Racing, Rock Logic, Teraflex Plus (I'm not sure if they'll install your parts), or one of the other vendors.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
That could be a lot of work and some liability for someone to help out of their garage one day. But if you have a buddy or someone you know help you I am sure it is very possible. But you may call a few shops to see what they sugget and can price quote you on. I would think that the guys at Teraflex Plus would be a good one to call, and other option would be The Rad Jeeper. There are a list of other shops that would do great work too, but I have a feeling you can get it faster and cheaper from one of those two.

I was thinking about that part of liability reason, but you could probably make up some sort of contract. I think i will call Both those places and get quotes when i get a bit closer.

Like Rusted said, there is a lot more work involved than you realize. Packing up welders and grinders and stuff and taking them to someone's house is a major PITA, and do you even have a place to plug in a welder? I think you underestimate the amount of work that goes into preparing to weld on the new brackets. You cant just hold them in place and weld. You have to clean all the grease, dirt, and paint off everything. This is a messy, time consuming, and labor intensive process, and wire wheels are expensive and can wear out quickly with this kind of work. If the work is not done right, you could end up with an unsafe vehicle, and no one wants that liability. I think you are asking more than you realize. I'm more than willing to help people out, but you have to be reasonable. I would suggest you take it to Ben Hanks Racing, Rock Logic, Teraflex Plus (I'm not sure if they'll install your parts), or one of the other vendors.

First off I have welders (mig and arc). So that wouldnt really be a problem. Second all the prep work on the axle is done so it would pretty much be measure, place, weld. The brackets are a bit of a different story. I'm not too worried about wire wheels, cut off wheel, grinding wheels, and tools, as i have most and can go pick up more.

That thought also ran through my mind as if it was done right or not. I will do some calling around and see what else i can find out. But if the axle was all done (brackets and all) i dont think the unibody brackets would be too bad for someone who is a very good welder.
With all that said, don't get your hopes down! :cool:

I volunteer Rockmonkeys house for install!

Thanks for hte volunteer ha ha

jsudar

Maybe Creasey's Offroad will do it for you. Ha ha ha. Just kidding. Don't call him.

If you already have welders and tools and you want to work on your jeep yourself, this would be a good opportunity to learn some new skills. I would get some books or take a class and start practicing your welding. Find someone who knows what they are doing and ask some questions.

I took an evening class while I was in high school to learn to weld better so I could build a new crossmember when I did a tranny swap on my Willys. Knowing how to weld is not a bad thing--especially if you own a jeep product.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Yeah i thought the same thing, but welding to the unibody is a totally different story for me. Welding thick metal to thin metal, probably not the best way to start out. I mean, i can weld, but not good enough to trust myself with this kind of stuff. That why i am learning on my other build...1953 M38

Paul R

I was thinking about that part of liability reason, but you could probably make up some sort of contract.

Not to burst your bubble but legal liability is never as simple as writing up a contract. It would be a major pain in the butt with lawyers in order to get a contract that could maybe cover that. I'm sure the reputable shops will have taken care of this aspect. If it was something easier or of less impact I'm sure you could find many people that would be willing to help...
Good luck! I'm sure when you get it all done it will be sweet! :cool:

rock4fun

I would try talking to a newer company called moab outfitters. some times newer shops are a little more hungry than some of the older more est. shops if ya know what I mean.They are in Orem 1160 w 675 n Russ 801-404-6417 or trevor 801-592-1312 see what they have to say.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Congrats on paying off the jeep! That's a good feeling... now just keep putting those monthly payments in the bank so in a few years you can pay cash for a tow rig :cool:

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Not to burst your bubble but legal liability is never as simple as writing up a contract. It would be a major pain in the butt with lawyers in order to get a contract that could maybe cover that. I'm sure the reputable shops will have taken care of this aspect. If it was something easier or of less impact I'm sure you could find many people that would be willing to help...
Good luck! I'm sure when you get it all done it will be sweet! :cool:

Yeah i am pretty much stuck and will end up having a shop do it. If it was something that didnt require welding, then i bet a lot of people would jump....but thats something that i dont really need much help for. Thanks for the post though!!

I would try talking to a newer company called moab outfitters. some times newer shops are a little more hungry than some of the older more est. shops if ya know what I mean.They are in Orem 1160 w 675 n Russ 801-404-6417 or trevor 801-592-1312 see what they have to say.

Thanks for the numbers i will call down for sure once it gets a bit closer and i have the kit in hand and everything. I will aslo be calling Teraflex, the Rad Jeeper, rock logic, and possibly ben hanks racing.

Congrats on paying off the jeep! That's a good feeling... now just keep putting those monthly payments in the bank so in a few years you can pay cash for a tow rig :cool:

Thanks, yeah i am way excited i wont have to be paying payments on it anymore...now all i need is gas prices to go down. Now i just bought a Kawasaki KE100 so i just payed cash for that. Now all the money i have will be going in a bank, or towards something for college.

dungbeetle

I'm interested in a similar project. I have already acquired an 8.8 to put in my ZJ. If you want to do it at my place, I'd be happy to help. I'm just an amateur welder myself, but we could probably get some help from somebody with more experience. We could probably talk Emil (the guy who sold you your rocksliders) into coming over and helping out. I have pretty good facilities to work with including two lifts, CNC plasma cutter, and a frame rack. Imagine... all that in the backyard of a hobbyist car nut. I'm down in Provo near the mouth of the canyon.

Richard

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I'm interested in a similar project. I have already acquired an 8.8 to put in my ZJ. If you want to do it at my place, I'd be happy to help. I'm just an amateur welder myself, but we could probably get some help from somebody with more experience. We could probably talk Emil (the guy who sold you your rocksliders) into coming over and helping out. I have pretty good facilities to work with including two lifts, CNC plasma cutter, and a frame rack. Imagine... all that in the backyard of a hobbyist car nut. I'm down in Provo near the mouth of the canyon.

Richard

Well i would also be happy to help you when your ready with whatever i can. I have pretty much everything other then axle brackets and the actuall long arm kit. As far as welding goes, i dont know if someone who is amateur should be welding something that takes the stress and beating that an axle does. No offense to you, but like we have been discussing, the liability part of it is pretty big especially if its an amatuer welder. No offense to you though, but if we had someone that does know what there doing as far as measuring goes, and setting the pinion angle and is welding certified or just plain old damn good. Sounds like you have a nice shop to work in too. Would make it lots easier.

By the way, how do you know who sold me my sliders? Wait, how do you know i got sliders, i havent even made a post about them yet.

dungbeetle

Well i would also be happy to help you when your ready with whatever i can. I have pretty much everything other then axle brackets and the actuall long arm kit. As far as welding goes, i dont know if someone who is amateur should be welding something that takes the stress and beating that an axle does. No offense to you, but like we have been discussing, the liability part of it is pretty big especially if its an amatuer welder. No offense to you though, but if we had someone that does know what there doing as far as measuring goes, and setting the pinion angle and is welding certified or just plain old damn good. Sounds like you have a nice shop to work in too. Would make it lots easier.

By the way, how do you know who sold me my sliders? Wait, how do you know i got sliders, i havent even made a post about them yet.

Funny, I can't remember how I know that... Maybe Emil told me. I might have seen your rig on his web site and asked him about it. Or, seems like I might have called you once. I have a set of Emil's sliders as well. My only hold up with installing them is figuring out how to paint them. I was thinking of using POR-15, but I think that will get scratched up anyway. The best idea is probably to use black satin tractor paint. It's designed to be painted on surfaces that take extreme abuse.

As far as the welding is concerned, I plan on welding my own. For your purposes, I suggest you just tack the pieces in place, and then haul the rig to a good welder and let him finish it. I have a friend up in SLC that runs a shop that specializes in race car chassis construction. He is the best welder that I know.

Richard

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Funny, I can't remember how I know that... Maybe Emil told me. I might have seen your rig on his web site and asked him about it. Or, seems like I might have called you once. I have a set of Emil's sliders as well. My only hold up with installing them is figuring out how to paint them. I was thinking of using POR-15, but I think that will get scratched up anyway. The best idea is probably to use black satin tractor paint. It's designed to be painted on surfaces that take extreme abuse.

As far as the welding is concerned, I plan on welding my own. For your purposes, I suggest you just tack the pieces in place, and then haul the rig to a good welder and let him finish it. I have a friend up in SLC that runs a shop that specializes in race car chassis construction. He is the best welder that I know.

Richard

Ok, now i know who you are talking about.... the guy who sold me my fender flares and bumper. Is that right? I do not have his sliders i have rocky-roads... just got them a few weeks ago. Did i meet you at the offroad expo 2 years ago?

As far as paint goes i would use that tractor paint or just some herculiner bed liner... Or just leave them black because black spray paint is really easy to touch up. But if it were me i would go with bed liner.

For the axle i was planning on dropping it off at interstate and having them weld up the tubes, spring perches, shock mounts, and truss for the upper arms. But if you dont mind talking to him it would help me out a ton if we could measure for the brackets that are welded to the unibody. Then i could use my uncles car hauler to get it there and back, then i would be able to do everything else on my own.

I actaully just looked at the install instructions and it seems that there is another part that needs to be welded, tri-link crossmember mount. So there is a bit more work involved then i thought. So it might just be easier to have the axle done at interstate, then take it and the axle over to another shop (teraflex, rock logic, the rad jeeper etc..) and have them finish up the kit.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Unless Kevin (kevins offroad.com) is using claytons kit now, which i think he is, then it would be a 4 link suspension system instead of a 4 link. I'm planning on ordering my kit in about a month. So i will contact him before that to find out exactly what i need to get/do to have a complete install.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Unless Kevin (kevins offroad.com) is using claytons kit now, which i think he is, then it would be a 4 link suspension system instead of a 4 link. I'm planning on ordering my kit in about a month. So i will contact him before that to find out exactly what i need to get/do to have a complete install.

Claytons uses a radius arm in the front and a triangulated 4link in the rear. You'll need an experienced welder to install that kit. Welding 1/4" to ZJ sheetmetal overhead is a real PITA.....dont ask how I know.

I don't think KOR is using Clayton's kit or at least not according to their website. If they are, why not buy your Clayton's from Wayne Hartwig (alljeep)instead? IMHO, using a supporting Vendor goes a long way on RME.

BTW. Good choice! Clayton's and TnT customs are the only longarms kits worth installing on a ZJ.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Yes, i know this. But at the moment im only planning on doing the rear part of the kit.. which should be just fine. I will look into who has the best price on it, because i dont really who i buy from, just as long as its claytons and i get the best price.

I would have to look back through my email agian, but it seems like i emailed kevin a while back and he said they were using claytons kit.