Chevy Dana 60 front Axle Swap Question

MKP08JK

So I'm new to the whole axle swap thing and i am wondering if i can swap out my front axle for a chevy's dana 60? Will i need to cut down the axles or is a chevy's dana 60 the same overall length.:confused:
Thanks

AaronPaige

A Chevy 60 single rear wheel is 69 inches wide wheel mouth surface to wms... If your staying street legal yes you may need to modify it...

AaronPaige

If your 60 is from a drw truck it's probably 73 in wide but depending on your transfer case I would think you want a Ford axle

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
What size tire will you be running on your JK? How hard will you be using it? Is a Dana 60 REALLY what you need, or could you get by with a built up JK-specific Dana 44?

If I have to upgrade my front axle, I'm going for the TeraFlex 44. - https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72eeb

What does that actually gain you over a stock JK 44? I have not really paid that much attention , but have read that the big issue with the stock axles is the tubes are weak and bend. That the Teraflex builds use 1/4" tube seems ridiculous. 70s era 1/2 ton truck dana 44s came with 1/2" thick tube as do Dana 60 axles only with even larger OD tube. I don't doubt that the TF axles are better than stock, but $2300 gets one pretty close to a having a 60 in the front of their Jeep, and way more than having a 44 built with better outer goods than the TF axle is designed to use.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
There's no way you can get a front 60 in a JK for $2300, you figure that out and make it easy enough that guys like the OP can do it and you can make a LOT of money. Plus these are new parts, not 40 yr old junkyard parts. I've been there with a JY Dana 60 housing with my TJ and lost time & money.

The key factors with the TeraFlex housing are the larger axle tube diameter over stock (3.25" versus 2.5!!) and the huge, aftermarket knuckles. Those are the parts that bend on the factory JK axle, the tube and the knuckles. The tube thickness may be 1/4" but with the much larger tube makes for a massive gain in strength over stock. And it bolts in! You'll want to keep the ABS to keep the all the factory electronics happy, etc, etc.

Here, they offer a HD Tera 44 with 1/2" thick tube, 3.25" diameter. - https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72eef

I don't have the engineering know how, but it would be interesting to see how much strength is gained between the 2.5" tube of a stock axle and 3.25" on the TeraFlex 44... HD or not.